News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevearino

Great looking car and great detail work. :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on July 05, 2014, 09:47:39 AM
                                                                             BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
For those of you who have been wondering what my big announcement is here we go!
The Superbird is a complete car again and will be displayed at "CHRYSLERS AT CARLISLE" next week!

Outstanding !!!  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mytur Binsdirti

Damn, there goes any chances of getting a trophy for the rest of us.    ;)

Mopar John

Thanks for all the great comments guys!
Mark not to worry the Superbird is not quite ready for judging and will be for display only in the Troy Angelly Restorations booth!
MJ

Mopar John

Troy / Angelly Restorations!
On Friday November 14th 426 Linda and I arrived at the Troy Angelly restorations shop to pick up our Superbird.
Since Talladega was cancelled and the next show up was the MCACN show we decided to do a few more things
to the Superbird. When we got there the Superbird was out front and running with the guys going over it doing final detaling. The Superbird looked better than new and was running better than I ever had it with the six pack and dual point distributor! We looked the Superbird over and loaded it up in our trailer for the ride home. We had a few left over parts to go through and paid the final invoice which turned out to be a LOT less than we thought with all the work that was done! We took our time and got home late that night. Saturday morning I unloaded the Superbird and started getting it ready for the MCACN show. I put the best owners manual that I had in the glove box and put all the original factory items in the trunk. I took the license plate off so the nice original bracket and nylon grommets could be seen. I re-installed the correct oil filler cap with the hard seal and charged the battery just in case. The rest of the week leading up to Thursday was mainly keeping it clean and getting items ready for the show display. Last Thursday we arrived at the show and waited our turn to unload. We were near the front in the
"COLOR MY WORLD" display. We ended up second in line to the "RADKE" Daytona. Friday was an easy day watching everyone else unload and get ready. Soon we were surrounded by HEMI 4 speed Superbirds! There were only 58 made and 3 were there! One unrestored low milage survivor and two very nice restored cars!
      Things started looking up on Saturday when Linda won the MK INSURANCE leading lady MOPAR award!
Next up was the part I hate was the judging of what you spent the last two years of your life on. Things seemed like they went well? Saturday night was tough as we were pulled in many differant directions and missed the get together! SORRY! Sunday morning blew by and it was now time for the awards. They do the street stock awards then move up to the CONCOURS bronze, silver and gold. We ended up getting a CONCOURS GOLD for the Superbird!
Then they move up to the Emerald and Platinum awards by brand. We were honored to also receieve the Emerald award for PLYMOUTH! We would like to thank Troy and Eli Angelly, Duane the fabricator, Jeff the mechanical guy and Jeremy the new guy on all the hard work and details. We would also like to thank all those who gave up precious parts especially Doug Schellinger! Last to all those who helped answer questinos and supplied pictures and just cheered us on!   WOW!
MJ

EV2DEMON

Job well done, the car looks great. It's cool to see the transformations of both wing cars after knowing them for all these years.

Now if I can just get the ball rolling on the EV2DEMON....

70EK2Bird

John, the car did look great in person and I had a good time chatting with you about it on Friday.   Congrats on the awards, they are all well deserved.

Pat

Mopar John

Quote from: EV2DEMON on November 24, 2014, 02:13:29 PM
Job well done, the car looks great. It's cool to see the transformations of both wing cars after knowing them for all these years.

Now if I can just get the ball rolling on the EV2DEMON....
The best advice that I can give you is to make a complete list of parts you will need for your EV2DEMON!
Your car was made for a short time and items specific to the car are drying up! Buy those parts and store them carefully. It will help the process keep moving when you do restore the car!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 70EK2Bird on November 24, 2014, 03:17:37 PM
John, the car did look great in person and I had a good time chatting with you about it on Friday.   Congrats on the awards, they are all well deserved.

Pat
Pat,
It was great to meet another EK2 Superbird owner and one of our CMC chapter directors at the show!
I was kept very busy but made it twice to the other end of the show to see your Superbird and chat.
Unfortunately you were not near the Superbird. Very nice car and one of very few that has not been cleansed and lost it's identity!
MJ

Mopar John

MAY 30th 2014 INVOICE!
   It's been along time since I posted on the restoration of our Superbird! My computer crashed just after I finished posting all the work done on the March 2014 invoice!
I have had a new computer for a while but it's been a learning process for me to get the pictures off the disk and resized ready to attach. When I left off the body had
been painted and some parts were being put on. Now it's time for a bunch of sub assemblies to get restored and then installed on the body. First up is the emergency
brake assembly! The first two pictures show the assembly front and back as pulled from the car. The third picture shows the hardware cleaned and the nut and bolt
already in black phosphate. The last picture shows an outer view with the pedal portion in fresh black paint.
MJ

Mopar John

EMERGENCY BRAKE ASSEMBLY PART 2!
Here we continue with pictures of the emergency brake assembly! The first picture shows the back side of the pedal in fresh black paint.
The last two pictures show the assembly restored and ready to install in the Superbird body! One thing that I was very happy about is
that the two studs that go through the firewall didn't snap off and that we were able to use the originals!
Hope to get back to posting on a regular basis!
MJ

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on February 10, 2015, 12:08:45 PM
Very nice there Mr. John...  :2thumbs:
Thanks Troy! I am glad to see the HEMI is back in your Daytona and up and running again.
I can't wait to hear the results of the road test!
Quote from: tan top on February 10, 2015, 07:37:27 PM
:2thumbs: :popcrn:
More today!
MJ

Mopar John

BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY!
I have one last picture of the emergency brake assembly with the switch and pull knob installed and then on to the brake pedal assembly!
The first picture of the brake pedal assembly shows it basically cleaned up. The second and third pictures show it disassembled. I will be right
back with the rest of the brake pedal assembly restoration!
MJ

Mopar John

BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY PART 2!
The first picture in this batch shows the hardware for the brake pedal assembly cleaned and ready.
The second picture shows the brake pedal assembly restored from the front view. The last two pictures
show the restored assembly from the drivers and then passengers sides! WOW! Can't wait till it's installed!
MJ

Mopar John

EMERGENCY BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY AND BRAKE PEDAL ASSEMBLY INSTALLED!!!
The first picture shows an NOS brake pedal pad that I was able to buy. It has the correct style slots going up and down where the later and more easy to find ones go side to side.
The second picture shows the restored brake pedal assembly now installed. The third picture shows the restored emergency brake pedal assembly installed. The last picture is an
overall firewall view with the assemblies installed!
Next up will be a bunch of pictures of the heater box restoration!
MJ

green69rt

Geez, John, you're stealing all my thunder when I do mine.  Now I'll have nothing to show.

Mopar John

Mitch,
First off I hope your restoration turns out the way you want it to!
There are so many horror stories out there now days.
I'm sure there will be items that are done differently that will help others.
An example of this would be dipping the body VS some type of media blast.
Both have proven successful in high level restorations.
Thanks for following along!
MJ

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION!
As promised I'm back with a bunch of pictures from the heater box restoration. Troy used to send these out to be restored because of all the parts and time involved.
But for the last few years he has developed a process and the materials to do this in house. This first batch of pictures show the heater box before restoration.
MJ

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 2!
This batch of pictures show the disassembly of the heater box!
MJ

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 3!
In this batch of pictures we see the restoration of the parts get started. You will see the panel and flap prepped and a couple of the panels restored and ready for assembly!
MJ

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 4!
In this batch of pictures the heater box restoration continues. You see in the first picture some of the small components restored.
The last three pictures show the brackets restored and ready for assembly.
This is about half way in the pictures I have for this assembly.
I will return soon with the other half. ENJOY!
MJ

Redmanf1