News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 5!
Here we go with the rest of the heater box restoration pictures that I have! This batch starts out with the flap and grille restored.
The third picture shows the housing restored. The last picture shows the reassembly process starting with the restored flap installed.
MJ

Mopar John

HEATER BOX RESTORATION PART 6!
In this batch of pictures you will see the heater box restored and now reassembled!
I can't wait to see it installed to the firewall!
MJ

Mopar John

HEATER BOX INSTALLED!!
In this batch of pictures the first one is a milestone for me showing the restored heater box now installed! WOW!
The second picture shows another view of the firewall with the insulation also installed.
The third and fourth pictures are of the drivers side vent box before restoration.
MJ

Mopar John

DRIVERS SIDE VENT BOX RESTORATION!
With the heater box restored and installed it was time to restore the drivers side vent box!
The first picture shows all the components for the vent box. The second picture shows the bracket restored.
The third and fourth pictures show the restored vent box from the side and front ready for installation!
Stay tuned as I have about 600 pictures to sort through for this invoice! ENJOY!
MJ

Aero426

John,  how are the bare metal pieces on the heater box treated to prevent re-oxidation over time?

hemi68charger

Very nice John !!

Does the heater box come with a yellow part number stamped on the front black cover? If so, is it the same as in '69 ( i.e, your Daytona )?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

Quote from: Aero426 on March 10, 2015, 10:10:55 AM
John,  how are the bare metal pieces on the heater box treated to prevent re-oxidation over time?
Doug,
If I remember correctly they were treated with RPM from ECS.
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 10, 2015, 11:06:13 AM
Very nice John !!

Does the heater box come with a yellow part number stamped on the front black cover? If so, is it the same as in '69 ( i.e, your Daytona )?
Troy,
If you look at the tear down pictures on page 18 of this post the number 2936681 is stamped on the front cover.
This part number appears in the 1970-71 parts book but is not listed in section 1-48-1?
Part number 2936680 is listed for 1970 R & W bodies. So maybe 2936681 has an update?
Both Daytonas have part number 2837500 stamped on the front cover so there is a difference.
MJ

Mopar John

FINISH DETAILS ON BODY PAINT!
With the Superbird body painted and all the components ready to go it was time for assembly of the body parts.
When everything was assembled and the gaps the way they should be it was time to go back and paint
all the fastners body color. The first picture shows the drivers side trunklid bolts painted body color.
The second picture shows the drivers side door hinge bolts painted body color.
The last two pictures in this batch show the hood hinge bolts also painted!
MJ

Mopar John

FINISH DETAILS ON BODY PAINT 2!
We continue on here with the details on body paint!
The first two pictures show the passengers side door hinge bolts and trunklid bolts painted.
Now we move on to some other details!
The third picture shows the drivers side inner fender restored.
The last picture shows the inner fender installed. ENJOY!
MJ

Mopar John

FINISH DETAILS ON BODY PAINT 3!
This batch of pictures show how Troy and the guys finished off the paint on the fastners for the quarter panel extensions!
There is also a sneak peak at the NOS rear body wire harness!
MJ

Charger-Bodie

That's how I do it too John. Only difference I see,is that I wait until the car is most of the way together in ace there is a minor adjustment needed here or there from a part having weight in it or a weatherstrip changing something or whatever .
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Mopar John

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 25, 2015, 06:16:07 PM
That's how I do it too John. Only difference I see,is that I wait until the car is most of the way together in ace there is a minor adjustment needed here or there from a part having weight in it or a weatherstrip changing something or whatever .
I can see your concern especially if your using some of the reproduction weatherstrips out there.
I can remember working on another car and we couldn't get the door to shut once the weatherstrip was installed!
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

VINYL TOP AND REAR WINDOW!!
With most of the paint work done and the overspray out of the air it was time to install the new vinyl top!
This batch of pictures show the guys getting some of the trim parts ready.
The first two pictures are of the sail panel moldings that needed the paint freshened up.
The third picture shows the original back window filler pieces painted orange and masked off for the black paint.
The last picture shows these parts painted black and drying for installation that's coming up soon!
MJ

Mopar John

VINYL TOP AND REAR WINDOW PART 2!
This batch of pictures is another big milestone for me in the restoration!
The first two pictures show the vinyl top installed along with the freshly painted sail panel moldings and window corners.
If you look closely you will see that the headliner has also been installed before the front and rear glass was installed.
This helps the installers pull the headliner tight for a nice looking installation!
The last two pictures show the rear glass and trim installed! WOW!
Back when I redid the Superbird in 1980 I couldn't find a correct pattern vinyl top and I also had bent the trim to where it
didn't look right at the joints. I also had the rear glass polished so this whole area looks fresh and new!!
MJ

Charger-Bodie

I refuse to use those repop weatherstrips too
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 26, 2015, 11:46:42 AM
I refuse to use those repop weatherstrips too

Brian, you do so many cars, how do you find correct weatherstripping?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Charger-Bodie

Most of the weatherstriping is reusable,just needs cleanup.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 27, 2015, 08:07:23 AM

Wow, I'll have to look at the Birds...

John, this thread is awesome!!!  I really appreciate all the detail especially that I'll be ripping the Bird apart soon.   
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Mopar John

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on March 27, 2015, 08:36:34 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 27, 2015, 08:07:23 AM

Wow, I'll have to look at the Birds...

John, this thread is awesome!!!  I really appreciate all the detail especially that I'll be ripping the Bird apart soon.   
I'm glad your enjoying it Mike!
More to follow today!
MJ

Mopar John

THE TURNING POINT!!
All along I wanted to get NOS sheetmetal and some type of original trunkfloor to correct my amateur body work from back in 1980.
With that goal met and the body turning out just great things were going better than expected. I also had found someone to polish
the original glass. Then Tony Malcein calls me about some left over NOS cat whiskers that he had from building an NOS set for his Daytona.
He had bought some extra pieces to build his set and they were for Road Runners. I bought 5 or 6 pieces from Tony. Not too long after
that Paul Jacobs came up with a couple of more NOS pieces. It took a while but I was able to find the last one to make an NOS set.
That was the turning point where I started trying to find NOS or very nice used as the restoration went on!
Attached are some pictures of the NOS cat whiskers. Notice that most of them have some sort of part number stamped on the back side!
MJ

Mopar John

THE TURNING POINT PART 2!
Here are the pictures of the rest of the NOS cat whiskers!
Not many more of these sets will be assembled!
MJ

Mopar John

DOOR PILLAR PREP!
With the cat whiskers installed it was time for the door pillar prep. These had to have some black paint sprayed on
before the metal trim panels and interior panels are installed. The first two pictures show the drivers side and
passengers side prepped and masked off. The last two pictures show them painted with the same paint as the
top of the doors.
MJ

Mopar John

QUARTER WINDOW PANEL PLASTIC!
With all the other work done it was time to install the plastic that covers the quarter window panel.
I have attached the pictures that show the drivers side and passengers side adhesive and plastic installed!
Next up will be the quarter metal trim panel restoration!
MJ

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html