News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

ENGINE ASSEMBLY FINAL!
Now here is another milestone in the Superbird restoration!
This single picture shows the engine bolted to the transmission and that unit bolted to the front suspension!
The next step is to raise it up into the body and attach it!
MJ

Mopar John

DUAL POINT DISTRIBUTOR!
For years I tried to get the Superbird to run with this distributor.
I usually had a single point in there since it ran better.
Troy and the guys found several internal problems with the dual point.
They also have a Sun machine for distributors at the shop now!
This batch of pictures show different views of the distributor before disassembly.
MJ

Mopar John

DISTRIBUTOR PART 2!
This batch of pictures show the start of restoration of the distributor.
The first picture shows the distributor disassembled and all the parts laid out.
The second picture shows the outside of the housing bead blasted.
The third picture shows the inside of the housing blasted.
The last picture shows the housing ready with the bushings to be installed.
I couldn't find an NOS vacuum advance unit but we found a shop that replates them!
More on that later as this is all I have for now on the distributor.
MJ

Mopar John

NOSE CONE Z BRACKETS!
While the mechanic was working on the engine assembly the fabricator was working on the nose internals.
This batch of pictures shows the work being done to the original Z brackets.
The first two pictures show some pin holes welded up and the last two show them ground and ready for filler.
MJ

Mopar John

NOSE CONE Z BRACKETS PART 2!
The first picture shows one of the Z brackets with some filler where the welding and grinding has taken place.
The second picture shows all the filler work done and sanded with the Z brackets hanging and ready for primer!
The last two pictures show some headlight bucket pre assembly taking place.
MJ

Mopar John

FENDER SCOOP STUD REPAIRS!
I don't know how many of you have tried to remove the fender scoops after they have been on the car for a while?
The task is usually a big problem because the rusty threads usually cause the stud to twist apart the scoop mounts !@#$^)#$%^&*(@#$%^&!!!!
So this batch of pictures show the repairs of the fender scoop studs for the Superbird.
The first picture shows a picture of the new scoop studs.
The second picture shows one of the scoops with the mounts cracked and split open.
The last two pictures shows the scoops with the studs now repaired!

This concludes the May 2014 invoice that had over 600 pictures with it!
The project was moving along at a high rate of speed at this point! ENJOY!
MJ

hemi68charger

Nice John !!!  :2thumbs:

As usual, top-notch stuff.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

AUGUST 2014 INVOICE!!
After working my way through the May 2014 invoice of over 600 pictures I thought things might get easier?
We'll I have just made my first pass through the August 2014 invoice and there are 550 pictures!
The problem is that things are coming together and they are all over the Superbird!
I will start with some odds and ends that relate to things recently shown.
My first batch of pictures are of the NOS transmission yoke seal part number 2400300.
The first three pictures are of different views before installation and the last one shows it installed.
MJ

Mopar John

NOSE CONE Z BRACKETS PART 3!
In this new disc of pictures I found more restoration work on the nose Z brackets.
The first picture is of the Z brackets still hanging and fresh from paint!
The last two pictures are close ups of each Z bracket.
I can't wait to see them inside the nose cone!
MJ

Mopar John

FENDER SCOOPS PART 2!
With the mounting studs repaired it was time to move on with the fender scoops!
The first two pictures show the fender scoops basically sanded bare and ready for primer.
The last two pictures show the fender scoops now in primer on the inside.
MJ

Mopar John

FENDER SCOOPS PART 3!
Here are the last two pictures of the fender scoops for now.
The pictures show the outside view after primer.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SIDEMARKERS!
With the body painted is was time to start adding nice little pieces here and there!
The first two pictures show some of the parts that had been sent out for plating.
There are many different processes and types to make this correct as you see in the pictures.
A big point of discussion on the Superbird was the front sidemarker retainers!
As you see in the pictures the drivers side retainer has a gold finish and
the passengers side has a silver finish? Both original and photo documented!
In addition neither retainer has "FRONT" stamped into them?
Maybe because the Superbird has different style retainers out back?
Does anyone else have different color retainers and or no "FRONT" stamped in them??
The last two pictures show the NOS sidemarker assemblies that I was able
to buy from AERO426 for the restoration.
The part numbers are 3403774 and 3403775.
MJ

Mopar John

FRONT SIDEMARKERS PART 2!
There are only two pictures in this batch.
They show the sidemarkers installed on the Superbird!
Another step toward completion!
MJ

Mopar John

PLATED HARDWARE!
In my last topic I showed some of the plated parts.
We'll here I show more of them.
This makes a big difference in appearance of the restoration.
The first picture is another table full of freshly plated parts.
The second and third pictures show transmission linkage parts now installed.
The last picture is of the restored shift pivot bracket and bushing installed.
MJ

Mopar John

PLATED HARDWARE PART 2!
The first picture shows some of the plated kickdown linkage parts installed.
The second picture shows the transmission cooling line bracket and
The restored original starter now installed.
The third picture shows the correct bolts for the transmission tailshaft.
The last picture is of the NOS transmission dipstick tube with the correct headed bolt.
MJ

Mopar John

DOOR INTERIOR ASSEMBLY!
In the previous installments you saw all the plated parts laid out on the tables.
Included was the door latches and hardware.
So it was time to finish up the doors!
The first picture shows a pair of NOS door lock knobs and reproduction escutcheons.
I bought a pair of NOS escutcheons but they were the wrong ones so we had to use repros!@#$%^())!
The second and third pictures are of the original door panels.
We had several sets to pick out the best and cleaned them up!
The last picture is of the caulk and plastic covering with the polished stainless trim installed.
MJ

Mopar John

DOOR INTERIOR ASSEMBLY PART 2!
Here it all comes together!
The first picture is of a pair of NOS door interior handles Mopar part numbers 2935214 and 2935215.
The second picture shows the original arm rest bases replated!
The last two pictures show the drivers and passengers doors completed!
MJ

Mopar John

TRANSMISSION CROSS MEMBER AND REAR END FRAME BUMPERS!
Here we get closer to installing the drivetrain!
The first picture is of the automatic transmission crossmember restored.
The second picture is of the original upper control arm hardware.
The third picture shows the rear end frame bumpers before restoration.
The last picture shows the rear end frame bumpers after restoration!
MJ

Mopar John

UNDERCOATING!
The Superbird was not an undercoat option car but it did have some in all the wheel openings!
The first picture is of the passengers side rear wheel house undercoated with the rear end bumper installed.
The second picture is of the drivers side rear wheel house undercoated with the rear end bumper installed.
The third picture is of the drivers fender undercoating.
The last picture is of the passengers fender undercoating.
Troy and the guys tried to mimic the factory overspray when applying the undercoating!
MJ

Mopar John

FINAL PICTURES FOR TODAY!
This batch is of a few items added to the body as they were restored or arrived at the shop.
The first picture is of the rear package shelf and trunk divider installed.
The second picture is of the original 48th week 1969 voltage regulator restored by Dave Patik installed.
The last picture is of the original coil cleaned up and ready to install on the engine.
I will try to post more pictures of the restoration leading up to the reunion in Talladega
where those of you that go can check out the Superbird completed!
MJ

Mopar John

BATTERY TRAY!
With the body painted another item that needed restoration and paint was the battery tray.
The first picture shows the battery tray bead blasted with some glazing putty sanded and
ready for primer.
The second picture shows the battery tray primered from the top view.
The third picture is of the battery tray primered from the bottom view.
The last picture is of the battery tray brace primered.
These items will be painted body color in the near future and installed after the engine assembly.
MJ

Mytur Binsdirti

The splatter pattern on the fuel tank looks off to me. Minus 3 points.  ;)

Mopar John

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 20, 2015, 03:40:03 PM
The splatter pattern on the fuel tank looks off to me. Minus 3 points.  ;)
I think 3 points is harsh for fuel tank splatter!
The judges at the MCACN show took off 1 point for the undercoating being too nice!
MJ

Mopar John

BRAKE BOOSTER & MASTERCYLINDER!
In this batch of photos you will see the restoration work on the brake booster and master cylinder.
The first two pictures are of the brake booster already blasted on the front side.
The third picture shows the booster blasted from the back side.
The last picture shows the booster sanded after blasting and cleaned up.
MJ

Mopar John

BRAKE BOOSTER & MASTER CYLINDER PART 2!
In this batch of pictures we continue on with the brake booster and master cylinder restoration!
The first picture shows the original master cylinder blasted and ready for primer.
The second and third pictures are of the brake pedal linkage before restoration.
The last picture is of the master cylinder now in primer.
MJ