News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MOPAR JOHNS EK2 SUPERBIRD RESTORATION!!

Started by Mopar John, June 05, 2011, 06:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 23, 2015, 02:29:12 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on November 20, 2015, 03:46:47 PM
                                             ....The brakes all had to be redone as I later found out that the Superbirds which had front
disc brakes came with 10 X 2 1/2 rear brakes and not 11 X 2 1/2 rear brakes! :brickwall:

Yeap.. A common,misunderstood thing on mopar brakes.. I think the only cars that came with 11" rears with front disc brakes in '70 were the AAR-T/A's..

And there was an option in 71 (I believe) that was front disc's and 11" rears....saw it on a 71 'Cuda we were judging at MCACN last year. I was looking at it scratching my head....looked at the code on the broadcast sheet and sure enough - it was correct.

Mopar John

DRIVESHAFT PART 1!
With the engine and trans already in the Superbird and now the rear end assembly
it was time to connect the two with the driveshaft!
Years ago when I bought the NOS driveshaft for our B5 Daytona project I was very
lucky to get a second NOS driveshaft for the Superbird!
I have to thank Jeff Terhune  69RTSE4SPD on this site for letting go of these impossible to find items!
The only picture on this reply is of the NOS driveshaft assembly after it was treated
to remove the surface rust from over 40 years of storage! WOW!
MJ

Mopar John

DRIVESHAFT PART 2!
In this batch of pictures I share the front and rear U-joints!
The First picture is a close up of the rear U-joint. You can see the manufacturers name "DETROIT" cast into the joint!
The second picture is a close up of the rear yoke and again you can see "DETROIT" cast into it also!
The last two pictures are the same views of the front U-joint and yoke.
MJ

Mopar John

DRIVESHAFT PART 3!
In this batch of pictures I show the NOS driveshaft disassembled for restoration.
The first picture shows the bare driveshaft with the joints removed.
The last two pictures show close up views of the front and rear weights
use to balance the driveshaft.
MJ

Mopar John

DRIVESHAFT FINAL!
In this batch of pictures I share some of the driveshaft restoration work and reassembly!
The first picture is of the transmission end with the U-joint and yoke back together.
The second picture is of the weld at the front end of the driveshaft.
The third picture shows the rear U-joint back on with the factory tie strap and clips.
These parts were used to hold the caps on the joint on the assembly lines!
You can also see the fresh welds for the rear weight in this picture.
The last picture in this batch shows the fresh welds for the front weight.
We will have to wait for pictures from the next invoice to see the restored shaft installed.
Stay tuned!
MJ

maxwellwedge

Looks good John.

Very nice condition - should be a part number and date code evident and easy to find on metal that is nice like yours.

Original assembly line rear u-joints have a thin strap on them as your pics show - very nice!.....I have never found them with it on NOS ones.....you did well to have them on yours.  Very nice to have those Detroit u-joints.....they are getting tougher to find. There should be date codes and an "H" stamped on the u-joint to yoke straps as well.

There are specific color markings on the bottom of the pig for axle ratio etc. The axle housing itself can vary tremendously.

Good seeing you in Chicago!  :cheers:

Mopar John

Jim,
Great to see you again also!
Spent some time looking over your Superbird when you were not looking!

Thanks for the comments on the driveshaft!
We do have the proper "H" date coded pinion yoke straps!
Attached is a 4 27 71 or April 27th 1971 date coded "H" strap that Jim speaks of for reference.
Thanks! MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 24, 2015, 10:11:47 AM

And there was an option in 71 (I believe) that was front disc's and 11" rears....saw it on a 71 'Cuda we were judging at MCACN last year. I was looking at it scratching my head....looked at the code on the broadcast sheet and sure enough - it was correct.

Good Intel Jim...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mopar John

TAIL LIGHT PANEL LETTERS AND FUEL FILLER TUBE!
In this batch of pictures I share some restoration work on the tail light panel letters
and fuel filler tube.
The first picture is of my best fuel filler tube. These are really hard to find in nice shape!
The second picture shows the fuel filler tube cleaned up with the support bracket, clamp and cap.
The third and fourth pictures show the restoration work being done on my best "PLYMOUTH" letters.
I had several nice sets and some NOS pieces but they didn't all match so we had to touch some up!
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on December 02, 2015, 12:16:03 PM
                                     TAIL LIGHT PANEL LETTERS AND FUEL FILLER TUBE!
In this batch of pictures I share some restoration work on the tail light panel letters
and fuel filler tube.
The first picture is of my best fuel filler tube. These are really hard to find in nice shape!
The second picture shows the fuel filler tube cleaned up with the support bracket, clamp and cap.
The third and fourth pictures show the restoration work being done on my best "PLYMOUTH" letters.
I had several nice sets and some NOS pieces but they didn't all match so we had to touch some up!
MJ

Nice John !!!

Man, I can't wait to get started on mine.......... You're such a 'Bird-inspiration.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

1970Moparmann

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 02, 2015, 12:37:55 PM
Man, I can't wait to get started on mine.......... You're such a 'Bird-inspiration.......

Amen Troy!   John, this thread is awesome!  Will help me out tremendously.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

maxwellwedge

Hi John - Your gas cap should look like this one. I think you told me yours has no writing.....which is the right one.  :cheers:

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 03, 2015, 12:41:46 PM
Hi John - Your gas cap should look like this one. I think you told me yours has no writing.....which is the right one.  :cheers:

Jim,
I am glad you came through and commented on the fuel cap!
The one in my post is an NOS one I bought a while back and if anyone is interested in it send me a PM.
Almost ALL the ones being sold now that look like that state they are correct for 1970 B Bodies except Chargers!
I have attached a picture of my incorrect NOS one on the right and my used original on the left.
I agree that the correct cap is the one on the left like you show in your picture!
I have just bought an NOS one like it and will install it as soon as it arrives!
Thanks! MJ

maxwellwedge

Any time John - I know you have sweated the details and stepped up many times to get the right stuff on your cars.....no small feat.  :2thumbs:

So many vendors say correct and all that on the reproduction parts......they should have a good look at a bunch of original cars before saying that.  :yesnod:

Mopar John

FUEL CAP FINAL!
About the time I posted about my fuel filler tube and NOS fuel cap Jim ( MAXWELLWEDGE )
had an ad out for Superbird parts wanted.
One of the items he was looking for was an original Superbird fuel cap.
I took a look through my extras and the one in the bag from the restoration shop
didn't look like the NOS one I had on the Superbird?
Then I went over to my original 1970 GTX racecar fuel tank and that cap matched
the one from the restoration shop????
When I contacted Jim about the cap he informed me that he already had one on the way.
He told me that it was plain with no wording and a step shaped rivet stamped with an "S".
That cap was the same as the old cap and racecar cap????????

So I get out my 1970 dealer parts book and look at the fuel system for a part number.
My first attached picture shows that page from the catalog.
It shows the cap as being in section 14-86-35.
So I went to the correct page and the catalog jumped from 14-86-32 to 14-86-38!@#$%^&*()!!
That page is my second attached picture.
Next I went to the internet and started looking for part numbers and maybe a picture
of the correct cap with a part number.
I think the correct number for the correct cap was 2925697?
Next I wanted to find and BUY a correct NOS cap for my Superbird.
I ended up on EBAY and found what I think was the correct NOS cap in the wrong NOS box?
That box with part number 3726476 is my third picture.
The auction stated that it was for 1975 Dodge Polara's and Plymouth Fury's.
There are not very many people restoring those types of cars!
The last picture shows what I feel is a correct original cap next to my NOS cap!
The correct cap is now in place on the Superbird
I hope this helps other's avoid the drama I went through.
MJ

maxwellwedge

John - Yes - that cap is the correct one - you are all good!

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION!
With the other interior parts in place it was time for the dash assembly to be restored and installed.
Here I share the restoration of the dash related parts.
The first picture is of the unrestored Rally dash top view.
The other three picture show the dash stripped from different views.
MJ

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION PART 2!
Here we move along with the dash frame!
The first two pictures show the dash stripped, sanded and hung for paint!
The last two pictures show the dash frame now painted the proper color and ready for assembly!
MJ

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION PART 3!
Now it was time to start getting some of the parts ready for the dash assembly.
This batch of pictures show the unrestored dash speaker mount in the first two pictures.
The last picture shows the speaker mount ready for the speaker to be attached.
MJ

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION PART 4!
Here we continue on with the dash speaker and gage cluster!
The first picture shows the dash speaker restored with the mount.
The second picture shows the original speaker from the bottom with date code 118 9!
The third picture shows the restored speaker now installed! NICE!
The last picture shows the restored gage cluster installed!
MJ

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION PART 5!
This batch of pictures show the original heater controls before they were sent off
to Dave Patik at Performance Car Graphics for restoration.
MJ

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION PART 6!
  Here we see things coming together!
The first picture is of the back view of the glove box lid and latch installed.
the second picture shows the back view of the ash tray assembly installed.
the third picture shows restored dash assembly from the drivers side.
The last picture shows the restored dash assembly from the passengers side. WOW!
MJ

Mopar John

DASH RESTORATION FINAL!
Here are a few shots of some dash related parts.
The first picture is of my best pair of original defroster hoses cleaned up and ready for installation.
The second picture is of restored dash mounting hardware.
The last picture is a set of NOS radio knobs Mopar part numbers 2884767 and 2884769.
MJ

green69rt

So, where did the dash pads come from??  new, repro, restored??

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona