News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Exhaust Cutouts

Started by jb666, June 13, 2011, 07:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb666

Ok, I'm back on this subject. I REALLY want a set of electric cut outs for my car.. BUT, I've been told by a buddy that they "all leak, don't seal, and sound like crap".  I want something that'll be reliable and not get stuck open or leak...

Is this a pipe dream, or does someone actually make a reliable set that'll hold up to time and (weekly) use???

:popcrn:

68X426

Lots of threads on this topic over the past years. Do a search.

For what its worth: not all cutouts are alike. I use Doug's all stainless steel, they don't leak, totally reliable (scissor style gate, not a butterfly), have had them 2 years, open them up every single ride, have done dozens of cruises and parades, hours and hours of open and close, and they have been perfect.

http://www.dougsheaders.com/prod/new/details.aspx?ID=137

And sound like a million bucks. I don't understand the "sound like crap" comment, it's an open header, not a muffler or resonator. What is heard is pure motor.

Best money I ever spent. Here's a sample, it's an 8 second sound clip in a link in this thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81171.msg912545.html#msg912545

Direct link: http://goldrushcam.com/sierrasuntimes/photos/sst-photo-archives/2618-photo-of-the-day-may-24-2011. The sound clip is at the bottom of the little article. Turn it up. Yes the paper got it wrong, it's a 68, not 69.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

jb666

Sorry, by "sound like crap" I meant they don't reseat properly and leak.

Thank you for the info.

68X426

Quote from: jb666 on June 13, 2011, 07:00:51 PM
Is this a pipe dream

Hey I just realized that's a great pun you posted! :lol:

jb, I know you didn't make the comment, others make it. I didn't mean to put you on the spot, sorry.

Every brand I heard when evaluating a purchase, when they used the butterfly gate, leaked. Some people can live with it, some just can't.

My set up does have a small audible leak, but it's not the cut-out unit, it leaks where the Y-pipe and exhaust pipe slip together. I chose to not weld the connections, just used the Doug's clamps. It will take time to get "cruddy" and seal the connection. I am rethinking the welding, but I can live with the little leak. I may try a different clamp. I assure you that the cut-out itself is not leaking, it closes solid everytime.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

FLG

Hey Jeff....

The dougs look good, how long is there warranty?? They also seem really big.

DMH  makes a low profile cutout that seems nice, whats even better is they offer a 4 year warranty. And from what ive read, if anything goes wrong they have great customer service and get a new one to ya quick.

Just do a google search, youll see a lot of people have used DMH with great success.