News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

crate engine website... is it legit ??

Started by boat-cars_are_beast, July 05, 2011, 08:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boat-cars_are_beast

:shruggy: ill post a link if somone with  more knowledge can help me out :yesnod:
your RPMs are rising high then my grandpas pants!!!!!

4cruzin

Copy it from the bar ar the top of the website and paste it into the reply box.
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

4cruzin

If that doesn't work, just say where it is and someone else will help out.
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

boat-cars_are_beast

Tell me what you think...  I think it is

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

You'll need a core, or more money... :popcrn:
QuoteNOTE: A Core Charge is required on all sales. Cores returned to Rebuilt Crate Engines must be the exact same as the engine ordered. When you return your rebuildable core to Rebuilt Crate Engine, your Core Charges will be refunded.

boat-cars_are_beast

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 05, 2011, 10:09:56 PM
wat do u mean

Really? You're losing credibility  :popcrn:

It takes an engine to get an engine - or core money... commonplace in auto part sales :Twocents:

QuoteNOTE: A Core Charge is required on all sales. Cores returned to Rebuilt Crate Engines must be the exact same as the engine ordered. When you return your rebuildable core to Rebuilt Crate Engine, your Core Charges will be refunded.

1968_Charger

Just looking at that link id be a little iffy of it. Why is the motor called 500 stroker charger? Why would they list charger in the engine name at all? Seems odd to me.   :Twocents:

boat-cars_are_beast

im not losing any credability im here to learn LOL so u cant take away what i do not have

67440chrg

A core is a sound rebuildable used engine or what ever part you are buying.

68X426

Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 05, 2011, 11:18:31 PM
so u cant take away what i do not have

Forrest, that's funny stuff! Score one for you. :lol:

Here's some observations:

1. Slowly put done the can of Dew.
2. It's a crate motor, and you'll learn lots more by working with an experienced mechanic and building your own.
3. If it's a crate you really want, you have dozens of great shops to buy from. And dozens of lousy ones.
4. These folks are one of many, so learn what goes into the motor so you can compare theirs to all the rest. Their site is real lean on info.

Have you had any shop classes yet? Do you know any mechanics who can let you hang around picking up pointers?

There is a ton of knowledge around this forum, and real helpful people, but you might want to balance your enthusiasm with self-help. It takes time to learn and you got to do the heavy lifting, not rely on this or any forum. :Twocents:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

tan top

Quote from: 1968_Charger on July 05, 2011, 10:58:55 PM
Just looking at that link id be a little iffy of it. Why is the motor called 500 stroker charger? Why would they list charger in the engine name at all? Seems odd to me.   :Twocents:

:yesnod:   sounds like the ad is worded to con ,  the  less  knowledgeable  /  informed  potential  customer  !!  sorry  :Twocents:

seems cheep !  :scratchchin: :shruggy: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Richard Cranium

Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 05, 2011, 11:18:31 PM
im not losing any credability im here to learn LOL so u cant take away what i do not have

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. For starters, proper punctuation, grammar, and sentence structure go a long way here as well as in life. I assume that you don't want to be always known as Forrest, do you?
I am Dr. Remulac

boat-cars_are_beast

No, I do not always want to be known as forrest. On top of that grammar isn't my best subject or spelling... but i will start checking spelling and grammar instead of just hopping on and typing

Drache

Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 06, 2011, 10:19:38 AM
No, I do not always want to be known as forrest. On top of that grammar isn't my best subject or spelling... but i will start checking spelling and grammar instead of just hopping on and typing

Don't let Richard get to you, there are many times when his grammar and spelling wasn't perfect either.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

boat-cars_are_beast

Thanks guys,  and i am going to be helping my uncle with his "mid-west mod car" its pretty much a bone stock 350. So i hope i can learn a thing or two!! On that note does anyone want to sponser last years champion?  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

twodko

Stick with it Forrest.........nothing wrong with that fine name either. If you frequent this forum you will learn a very great deal and ask questions, there are no stupid ones. When folks chose to hammer you, ignore and move on.

68x426 offers some sage advice, this is from a man who has built monster engines, SFRT et al are fonts of info so just ask. Research is your best friend, please don't rely on "off the cuff" suggestionsfrom folks. Seek out those who know and you'll be good to go!  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Richard Cranium

Quote from: Drache on July 06, 2011, 10:47:07 AM

Don't let Richard get to you, there are many times when his grammar and spelling wasn't perfect either.

I am Dr. Remulac

boat-cars_are_beast

Thanks again for your wonderful input, i wasn't planing on buying from there.. i just found it when i was bored and was wondering if it was a con that could be exposed!

tan top

not saying it is a con , but does seem cheep ,  unless they have cheep labour rate  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

boat-cars_are_beast

There was another website like the one i posted.... It seemed to be the same product but diffrent website :shruggy: http://www.precisionengine.com/rebuilt-engines/dodge-crate-engines/index.html//

Brock Samson

BTW: As Regards your Signature down there..
510 HP is pretty low for a 440 + stroker motor - 600 HP is a possible figure. 510 is well within reach of a good 440 rebuild, mine made 510 before i got a decent Carb. Much more power then that and you run into livability issues. For example it takes a pretty lumpy cam to get that much power and then you'll have vacume issues, for race it's fine no doubt, but if you want a motor you can live with, less can be more.  :2thumbs:

boat-cars_are_beast

Thanks again for your many words of wisdom!!! :icon_smile_big: Do you have any other good pointers right off the bat ? :popcrn:

67440chrg

I am probably not near as good of a mechanic as a lot of the members on here but my advice would be what i did as a young man. Buy a old mopar you can afford Even a pickup, dart, duster or aspen. A old beater might even be better and drive it and work on it.put brakes,tune up,pack the bearings etc little by little you will learn. I worked on my first old truck a long time before I got in to the bottom end of the engine.All that counts is you have fun and learn.

mauve66

i didn't look at the site but just remember that sometimes a "crate engine" is just a long block unless they tell you it has more.
that means no
valve covers
fuel pump
intake
carb
balancer
pulleys
fuel lines
headers/exhaust manifolds
alternator/brackets
power steering/brackets

i just don't know what you have on had to start with
depending on area cores can be 200-600 dollars plus shipping both ways
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

boat-cars_are_beast

Whats the best suggestion as to my first car like that? Preferably one that has about 400 hp and and 390 ft lbs of torque with out any mods.

67440chrg

If what you can afford is a 100hp slant 6 you can learn just as much with it for a lot less.

boat-cars_are_beast

How much is that?  :shruggy: I have five thousand dollars i've been saving for the past 3 years i spent the other 2k on usless things like a playstation ect.

Brock Samson

few folks get Chargers as their first cars - usually to get a fire breathing "Beast" muscle car as you seem to want - can take a couple to a few cars to build up to such a commitment, they tend to not be too practical for everyday use, for example i had a '65 Dodge four door sedan, then a work/play Dodge van before i could save up enough to do the Dream Car thing.
There's a car here for sale i would recommend that would be much more affordable for you, I'll find the link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82552.0.html

At your age with your assets and the steep learning curve ahead of you this would be a bitchen first car.  :icon_smile_wink:
I know it's fun to dream about a 440 anything, but if you want my advise you'll find something super clean and dependable that parts can be easily and cheaply found for.

That's not true of Chargers.

But first thing, your gonna need a job and/or rich parents.

xpbprox

Forrest just like you I'm a young guy too (I'm 19). If there's anything I've learned abou this forum is that some of these older "mature" members aren't so mature and attack younger guys because of their ignorance on cars. They will lower themselves to "our level" and argue and expect us to just listen to them and respect them while at the same time they are acting like children themselves.

Here's a prime example
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52213.0.html

Don't ever argue back and just post polite responses, it will make you a better person and make the other look like a douche. If it wasn't for my iPhone my garmmer and spelling would he crap haha.

boat-cars_are_beast

Quote from: xpbprox on July 08, 2011, 02:45:00 PM
Forrest just like you I'm a young guy too (I'm 19). If there's anything I've learned abou this forum is that some of these older "mature" members aren't so mature and attack younger guys because of their ignorance on cars. They will lower themselves to "our level" and argue and expect us to just listen to them and respect them while at the same time they are acting like children themselves.

Here's a prime example
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52213.0.html

Don't ever argue back and just post polite responses, it will make you a better person and make the other look like a douche. If it wasn't for my iPhone my garmmer and spelling would he crap haha.
great advice :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

boat-cars_are_beast

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 08, 2011, 02:12:56 PM
few folks get Chargers as their first cars - usually to get a fire breathing "Beast" muscle car as you seem to want - can take a couple to a few cars to build up to such a commitment, they tend to not be too practical for everyday use, for example i had a '65 Dodge four door sedan, then a work/play Dodge van before i could save up enough to do the Dream Car thing.
There's a car here for sale i would recommend that would be much more affordable for you, I'll find the link.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82552.0.html

At your age with your assets and the steep learning curve ahead of you this would be a bitchen first car.  :icon_smile_wink:
I know it's fun to dream about a 440 anything, but if you want my advise you'll find something super clean and dependable that parts can be easily and cheaply found for.

That's not true of Chargers.

But first thing, your gonna need a job and/or rich parents.

thanks for the help i appreciate the help

mauve66

back to what i was saying about the crate engine, (i thought i was trying to be helpful), if you don't have all the extra stuff i listed and you only have $5000 then i would think you could get a long block from auto zone or O'rielly and then add the rest of the stuff for less than $5000, of course thats assuming you have the trans for the big block and correct k frame or adaptors for the motor mounts
a stock rebuild should have at least 335 hp
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

boat-cars_are_beast

Quote from: mauve66 on July 08, 2011, 06:21:00 PM
back to what i was saying about the crate engine, (i thought i was trying to be helpful), if you don't have all the extra stuff i listed and you only have $5000 then i would think you could get a long block from auto zone or O'rielly and then add the rest of the stuff for less than $5000, of course thats assuming you have the trans for the big block and correct k frame or adaptors for the motor mounts
a stock rebuild should have at least 335 hp
I think I need a job..... My freinds dad has offered me a 9 dollar an hour job at his small engines shop what i might do is  save up a while longer and buy this car
http://www.lemonfree.com/baa990155c7d0fd14f95c492616d727b.html-1// Does this look like a good deal?

67440chrg

In my opinion something like that would be a great first car. No mater how you go have fun and be carefull.

Richard Cranium

Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 08, 2011, 06:33:28 PMI think I need a job..... My freinds dad has offered me a 9 dollar an hour job at his small engines shop what i might do is  save up a while longer and buy this car
http://www.lemonfree.com/baa990155c7d0fd14f95c492616d727b.html-1// Does this look like a good deal?

You think you need a job?!?!?!? No offense Forrest, but you have Champagne tastes with a Kool-Aid budget, coupled with pie-in-the-sky dreams. Do you realize that you're going to need two $9.00 per hour jobs to be able to afford that orange A-body? Unfortunately, when you do save up enough money two years from now (unless you blow it on useless video games), it will be sold. It sounds like you are a young kid with hardly any automotive experience and not much life experience at all so why in God's name do you want to dive into a 40+ year old car that you know zero about. It will be nothing but a money pit. Personally, I suggest that you first save up and get get a fairly dependable daily driver (no matter what the brand is) and learn how to do brakes, oil changes, etc. Get your feet wet with something like that first, and most importantly, get yourself educated so that you'll eventually be able to land a higher paying job.  :Twocents:
I am Dr. Remulac

boat-cars_are_beast

Like i said before i do have 5,000 dollars i will be getting a job and on top of that i work at my grandpas house once a week for 150$, So if you would kindly shut your trap and not shoot down my dreams i would appreciate it. THANKS!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

Richard Cranium

Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 09, 2011, 10:21:39 PM
Like i said before i do have 5,000 dollars i will be getting a job and on top of that i work at my grandpas house once a week for 150$, So if you would kindly shut your trap and not shoot down my dreams i would appreciate it. THANKS!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

$5,000.00 may be all the money in the world to you Forrest, but in the world of  classic Mopars $5,000.00 is really chump change. You ask for advise, yet you don't want advise that you don't want to hear because you  have a dream. Well, be careful what you wish for because dreams can sometimes turn into nightmares.   ::)
I am Dr. Remulac

64dartgt

Keep you dreams!  Just recognize that it may take a long time for them to become a reality.  That doesn't mean that you aren't making progress though.  Regarding old Mopars, the keys to keeping the cost down are either to save your money and buy someone else's hard work for fifty cents on the dollar or at least start with something with a solid body because you will save money in the long run. 

I have two Mopars, a 64 Dart GT convertible that came from the factory with a 273 V8.  It is a cool car, although it has a face that only Ma Mopar could love.  Last year for the pushbutton automatic shifter on the dash.  It was bought new by family and I loved it nearly from birth.  I bought it about ten years ago from my Great Aunt.  So far I have replaced the rear end, rebuilt the front suspension and had the transmission rebuilt.  The car was a MA car its whole life and it has had more cheap body work and bad paint than you could imagine.  I probably have $7000 in it...but I overpaid for it...if you can haggle price with YOUR 84 year old Aunt on a car she loved for over thirty years more power to you.  She cried when I towed it away.

The second is a 73 Charger I bought for $2000 because I knew I would have the Dart off the road and apart for years soon and I needed a driver to get my Mopar fix.  It was billed as an AZ car most of its life and it was, it had just earned a little bondo the first ten years in MA before it went to AZ.  The floors and unibody are solid as a rock, but it needs patches in the rear quarters and perhaps a door.  On the plus side it is has PS/PB, AC, PW, a slapstick and a factory sunroof.  It is also not an SE, so I can make a cool RT tribute out of it.  On the minus side so far I had the tranny rebuilt for $1200 and the engine is next for about $3000.  Plus the whole fuel system and brake system have been replaced for about $1800.  So I will have nearly $9000 into it before I touch the body.  From my perspective it is still a win as I bought it instead of a much pricier Challenger.  I was having a tough time finding a decent shell for that price.

So it is definitely much cheaper to buy a car like the A-body you show for $6800.  Just be sure you or someone you bring with you can tell the difference between good work and bad work otherwise you will learn the hard way about bondo, bad body work and crooked sellers.

My advice would be to take the small engine job.  It will be a lot of fun and a heck of a primer for working on your Mopar.  The internal combustion engine doesn't very that much as size changes.  The principals are the same.  Then find yourself a solid car with a 318 in it.  It won't take much knowledge to get decent HP out of a 318.  Headers, a new 4bbl carb and an intake for starters...and the neat thing is all of it will bolt right onto the 360 you are building on the side with more compression and HP. 

Learning is half the fun.  If you want a low dollar high HP car with no effort buy a used Mustang GT.  Just take it easy as I had a number of friends get in bad wrecks with them.  Any high HP car is a handful to an inexperienced driver and rear wheel drive makes it more of a challenge, not less.

boat-cars_are_beast

Quote from: Richard Cranium on July 10, 2011, 08:48:37 AM
Quote from: boat-cars_are_beast on July 09, 2011, 10:21:39 PM

$5,000.00 may be all the money in the world to you Forrest, but in the world of  classic Mopars $5,000.00 is really chump change. You ask for advise, yet you don't want advise that you don't want to hear because you  have a dream. Well, be careful what you wish for because dreams can sometimes turn into nightmares.   ::)
It actually isnt all the money in the world to me.... but im staarting this early in life so I have plenty of time to save up and work on it... I love advice but your dosent seem to have a positive side to it . 5000$ may not be alot but its alot to start with and to save up when your MY AGE ... But you older and have better jobs then me so I consider my self pretty succesful.  :icon_smile_wink: I dont mind your advice either you make my dream more real. So even though im arguing with you every thing you say it's (SLOWLY) sinking in which is why i've desided to wait till i have 15 k to buy a car ..During the school year im going to be working @ B&H auto because its a few minute walk from school and its an all year job but im starting with small engines for now, Thanks again !!!  :2thumbs:

boat-cars_are_beast

Quote from: 64dartgt on July 10, 2011, 09:13:08 AM
Keep you dreams!  Just recognize that it may take a long time for them to become a reality.  That doesn't mean that you aren't making progress though.  Regarding old Mopars, the keys to keeping the cost down are either to save your money and buy someone else's hard work for fifty cents on the dollar or at least start with something with a solid body because you will save money in the long run. 

I have two Mopars, a 64 Dart GT convertible that came from the factory with a 273 V8.  It is a cool car, although it has a face that only Ma Mopar could love.  Last year for the pushbutton automatic shifter on the dash.  It was bought new by family and I loved it nearly from birth.  I bought it about ten years ago from my Great Aunt.  So far I have replaced the rear end, rebuilt the front suspension and had the transmission rebuilt.  The car was a MA car its whole life and it has had more cheap body work and bad paint than you could imagine.  I probably have $7000 in it...but I overpaid for it...if you can haggle price with YOUR 84 year old Aunt on a car she loved for over thirty years more power to you.  She cried when I towed it away.
The second is a 73 Charger I bought for $2000 because I knew I would have the Dart off the road and apart for years soon and I needed a driver to get my Mopar fix.  It was billed as an AZ car most of its life and it was, it had just earned a little bondo the first ten years in MA before it went to AZ.  The floors and unibody are solid as a rock, but it needs patches in the rear quarters and perhaps a door.  On the plus side it is has PS/PB, AC, PW, a slapstick and a factory sunroof.  It is also not an SE, so I can make a cool RT tribute out of it.  On the minus side so far I had the tranny rebuilt for $1200 and the engine is next for about $3000.  Plus the whole fuel system and brake system have been replaced for about $1800.  So I will have nearly $9000 into it before I touch the body.  From my perspective it is still a win as I bought it instead of a much pricier Challenger.  I was having a tough time finding a decent shell for that price.

So it is definitely much cheaper to buy a car like the A-body you show for $6800.  Just be sure you or someone you bring with you can tell the difference between good work and bad work otherwise you will learn the hard way about bondo, bad body work and crooked sellers.

My advice would be to take the small engine job.  It will be a lot of fun and a heck of a primer for working on your Mopar.  The internal combustion engine doesn't very that much as size changes.  The principals are the same.  Then find yourself a solid car with a 318 in it.  It won't take much knowledge to get decent HP out of a 318.  Headers, a new 4bbl carb and an intake for starters...and the neat thing is all of it will bolt right onto the 360 you are building on the side with more compression and HP. 

Learning is half the fun.  If you want a low dollar high HP car with no effort buy a used Mustang GT.  Just take it easy as I had a number of friends get in bad wrecks with them.  Any high HP car is a handful to an inexperienced driver and rear wheel drive makes it more of a challenge, not less.
I like the idea of the mustang but the all look the same i'd rather save up... Unless their the old ones like the shelby gt500 cj7
:drool5:I dont really want a stock ride either.. Even though their beautiful I want a bad looking paint job and a fast engine !! Until I thought about how ugly it would be lol so im thinking a steely blue with metalics