News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MY 71 Super Bee Build

Started by xpbprox, July 06, 2011, 09:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xpbprox

Hey I thought I'd start my own build/resto thread, since I've seen a lot of them. So I'm not sure where I'm going to go with the car, it's a numbers matching 383 727 Super Bee. I can't decide if I want to paint original GB5 Blue or custom paint (with the super bee incorporated into the paint job.

The story on the car
I found this car in the local newspaper over 3 years ago, my father and I decided to jump on it. It was a pretty complete and a very sold minimal rust car, even came with another set of fenders and bumper and the part that goes under the bumper and joins the two fenders together (sorry don't know what its called). It did come with the engine, it was even rebuilt with a 40 bore but the only thing was that it had been sitting out side for years under is patio cover where the car was parked at. Now it wasn't to bad when I rebuilt it last year just some surface rust. The heads were ported, had come new flat head pistons but I do not know what kind of cam it has just know its a schneider as well as the lifters. For rocker arms I went with the comp cams roller rockers, very nice! and very expensive, probably unnecessary piece of equipment! The Engine its pretty much done until it gets put in the charger. An EFI setup will be put on and an MSD 6al with a Mallory Dist.

I know what you're thinking, previous owner was probably a ford or chevy guy  :lol: :flame: :lol:

The suspension is getting a complete overhaul, I went with RMS for coil overs all around and power steering. Got the Alterktion and Street-Lynx both very nice and look to be first class pieces of work! I choose RMS over Magnum force and XV because I believe the Alterktion was the best one, The xv has quality issues especially with the aluminum being to delicate also its much more money. The Magnum Force looked very strong but I didn't like the way it mounted the coil overs in the stock shock hoops and I didn't fell like dishing out extra cash for fender and shock hoop braces. I am installing sub-frame rails from safe-t-cap, I thought they were going to follow the contour of the floor pan but they didn't. Probably better because now I wont have to weld all along the floor pan and it also came with the slots for the parking brake already cut. Discs all around with hydro boost.

295's in the back!

on the way to the body shop

YES I drive a FORD F-350 :coolgleamA:

At the body shop with my dad

Here's the link for the whole album
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w229/XPBPROX/Charger/

so more updates will come once i get more pictures of the car from the body shop, I should get some this week. Some with the car completely blasted and primed in black then in a few weeks the body work will be completely done and primed in black again. Next will come assembly and maybe interior...... paint will be completely finished in probably about a year :brickwall:

xpbprox

Stripped!

Dont know why they thought they needed to cut this! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
YOU CAN FIT A 29 in RADIATOR IN THERE!!!
before

after  :coolgleamA:

Tranny rebuilt with a trans-go TF-2 shift kit

FJ6N96

xpoprox,

Keep the pictures coming!  It's nice to see another71 Super Bee being saved!

FY1

Enjoy!
http://www.71superbee.com/Rick_Stump/

WHITE AND RED 69

Sweet build. I've been thinking about the alterktion suspension for my 69, seems like an awesome setup. What brakes and wheels are you planning on running?   :cheers:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

xpbprox

Thanks guys, nice car Rick!

Yes the alterktion is very nice! I'm gonna be running wilwood drilled and sloted roatrs. The front will he 12.something and the rear is about 10 Inches. 6 piston calipers in front and 4 outback
As far as wheels, I have no idea but I can assure you that will not be bigger than 18 and then will not be chrome!! I'll probably put 295's front and rear
As of right now I just have some centerlines?? (I think that what they are) those are in the rear at 295 then the front is just the stock rims or the skinny ugly ones you see in the picture

Mr.Woolery

I'm working on a similar project with a '71 R/T....also doing the Alterkation/Street Lynx/Wilwood setup!  Looking forward to seeing how you go about your project.

Currently still stripping things down here, but soon hope to send the shell to a fabricator friend of mine who'll do a full chassis bracing & mild cage installation.
-1971 Charger R/T clone restomod project

For details on my cars, check out my web blog

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

xpbprox

got pics from the body shop!!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers:

looked like a pretty solid car when i forst got it and guess what it was a very solid car! thanks

xpbprox

Well the Charger should be returning to the body shop from the blasting place today. Primer should be on and hopefully Ill get to go look at it and take some pictures!

xpbprox

Here it is primed in black!!! Should be done in a couple weeks

xpbprox

Dropped off my alterktion suspension at the powder coater yesterday and he called me earlier today saying it was done, damn that was fast and he only charged me $170. I'll post pictures up tomorrow of the suspension

xpbprox

Here's my suspension all powder coated and I also got my bumper brackets coated

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

xpbprox

Well this past month or two, I've just been waiting for the body shop. I finally brought the motor home and started finishing it up.

I saw my charger last week and it was in the paint booth getting the final primer. I haven't been since then but I'm going to go this week and take some pictures.
It should be done in about 2 weeks.

I'm having the bumpers shaved and painted the body color, the drip rail will be body color too. I'm actually just gonna leave the trim off of it and they are going to smooth out the metal flange there.

41husk

i love the Bee,  I miss my tribute 73 WannaBee :brickwall:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

xpbprox

Quote from: 41husk on October 25, 2011, 12:51:16 PM
i love the Bee,  I miss my tribute 73 WannaBee :brickwall:
I didn't know you sold her!
Man that thing looked clean

41husk

Traded her in on a 09 Challenger SRT8.  It is a nice ride but not the same as the wannabee.  I loved the Ramcharger hood :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

BB1

Delete my profile

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

xpbprox

Well I know I've been saying the same thing but really she should be done getting painted next week. I'm just waiting on them.
The paint job is going to consist a gloss black and flat black. The body will be gloss then the bumpers are going to be flat. All the window trim is going to be flat, and I haven't decided on the door handles. Lastly I stole this from husk and another member on here who had a rear stripe. Well I didnt really steal it, my dad really liked the look, so we are going to do a flat black stripe. And for the super bee I'm going to have a custom painter paint the super bee emblem on the hood but I'm gonna have him paint to look like its falling apart from going to fast.

41husk

Sounds cool, Can't wait to see pictures!
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

Iron Chef

Looks great!  Lots of  $$$ going into that Bee.  I'm doing a very similar build with mine next year and I'm especially interested in how the EFI and the Alterktion front end work out.  Please update when you have results!

:cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

xpbprox

Will do and I'll be happy to answer any questions you man have too. I'm hoping to have it running by the end of this year but I could be dreaming. My main goal is to have it drivable before my birthday in March.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img