News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Overheating problem in a bird

Started by swissmopar, July 12, 2011, 01:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swissmopar

Hi,
I just came home from the biggest US car show outside the USA - the Big Meet in Västeras/Sweden appr. 18'000 cars. I drove my Bird all the way to Västeras out of Zurich/Switzerland - one way appr. 1500 mls. As long as the the car can run 30-80 mls/h (in Germany even 100-110 mls/h - only short distances) there were no overheating problems. I had one incidence in the City of Hamburg were I run into "stop and go" for about 6 mls - the temperature went quickly up (gauge showing >230 degrees) I heard some boiling in the radiator and overflow of the cooling fluid - I had to park the car. I waited for 2 hours, added first the lost cooling fluid appr. a gallon and could then drive without any further overheating problems.

Is there a solution for this problem? Does anyone has a switchable additional electric fan in the nose which directs the air to the radiator in case of temperature increase?

Ps. Bridge and tunnel between Sweden and Danmark, won the long distance award (only Bird in the show field)

A383Wing

I have an electric fan in the nose of our Daytona, never really needed it...but it sounds like to me that you might have a radiator problem...maybe it's part plugged?

swissmopar

Quote from: A383Wing on July 12, 2011, 01:25:13 PM
I have an electric fan in the nose of our Daytona, never really needed it...but it sounds like to me that you might have a radiator problem...maybe it's part plugged?
Has a brand new radiator and the water pump is the new aluminum pump (+30%). 

W4ATL

If it stays cool while moving but rises when you are stopped then you may have a fan problem. Check the fan clutch. The fan should be able to pull enough air to hold a paper towel to the radiator. The fan should also be pretty tough to turn even when cold but definitely hard to turn when hot.

moparstuart

yes put a pusher fan in the nose on a switch  then u can use it as needed

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

swissmopar

Quote from: moparstuart on July 12, 2011, 02:28:27 PM
yes put a pusher fan in the nose on a switch  then u can use it as needed

I checked Summit Racing, they have 120 different pusher fans. Which one shall I buy (size? cfm? etc.)? Is the fan attached directly to the radiator outside?
Thanks for the help.

moparstuart

If you wanna be extra safe and not concerned about the money I would get the dual pusher fan with the shroud , mine just came out of a toyota corolla here in the salvage yard but i would love to have a nice big dual set up .  Piece of mind .

mine was doing the opposite of yours it liked to get hot on the hwy above 70 mph , it would just lose air flow at high speed .

maxwellwedge

First - Make sure your water pump isn't the one in the bad water pump thread.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html

There was a factory change in the Bird production from a clutch fan to the solid fan/spacer combo to help with overheating issues.

And..... Does your car have all of its rad seals?

randr

I'm Bored! what to do next......

swissmopar

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 12, 2011, 04:30:56 PM
First - Make sure your water pump isn't the one in the bad water pump thread.  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,60599.0.html
There was a factory change in the Bird production from a clutch fan to the solid fan/spacer combo to help with overheating issues.

Have MP alu pump
ignition timing has to be check again (could be a co-factor)
all rad seals on place

Which dual pusher fan w/shroud shall I buy? Any suggestions?

moparstuart

Quote from: swissmopar on July 13, 2011, 05:41:40 AM

Have MP alu pump
all rad seals on place

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70102.msg915831.html#msg915831

i really liked jasons choice  ?  

tyly

And this year we go to the American beauty car show to Estonia,  :brickwall:
   Last year two bird in the show.

Plymouth Superbird 440 six-pack, 4-speed, 15000 miles
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE Hemi
Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 SRT HEMI

http://tyly.kuvat.fi/

randr

randr

Quote from: moparstuart on July 13, 2011, 10:04:19 AM
Quote from: swissmopar on July 13, 2011, 05:41:40 AM

Have MP alu pump
all rad seals on place

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70102.msg915831.html#msg915831

i really liked jasons choice  ?  

Part number is FLX-430 they turn on and off automatically depending on temp you set. and they work GREAT! was 96 out side and never got above my setpoint of 170. without them ran about 200-210. cooler in front of fans is for my tranny.

SBBob

Really neat that you have the courage to drive your Superbird.  Everyone thinks I am crazy for driving mine all the time.  I used to run warm in the stop and go driving, but a couple of yeas ago I had a custom built 5 core radiator made.  It uses the original radiator top and bottom pieces and looks stock to the naked eye.  It add another 3/4 of a gallon of fluid and cured the overheating problems.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

swissmopar

Installed the pusher fan with temperature sensor 175 off/195 on (BeCool), works great. Thanks for the help.
Picture 1: Dual fan 2750 cfm BeCool
Picture 2: Relay for each fan
Picture 3: Temp Sens in the water pump 175 off/ 195 on

moparstuart

WINGIN IT

So with the new sensor in , does it still read correctly at the gauge in the car?
Or do you buy the sensor to match ?

swissmopar

I have now two temp sensors in the water pump. The original one for the dash gauge and the BeCool one for the pusher dual fan, the readings match pretty well.

WINGIN IT

There was a place to install a 2nd temp sensor in the water pump?
I'm confused...  :shruggy:

swissmopar

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 25, 2011, 05:25:27 PM
You shouldn't be confused - I am using the new aluminum Mopar water pump - see pic.
On the left side you see the additional BeCool sensor and on the right side you see the original sensor. The aluminum water pump has two openings with different thread width.

62 Max

Quote from: WINGIN IT on July 25, 2011, 05:25:27 PM

Most factory housings have two provisions,one in front and one on top behind the heater hose fitting.Remove pipe plug and get whatever size bushing you need for the sending unit.

WINGIN IT

That's what I was wondering, if there was 2 fittings.
I couldn't see it in the other pic, thanks.
Not confused now... carry on ...  ;D

Arnie Cunningham

A number of people have asked about the correctness of solid vs fluid clutch fans on Superbirds.  Is there any documentation as to when the switch to all solid fans took place?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

nascarxx29

I got it some where .Just got to refind it.It might have been on a service bulletin :Twocents:

The "earlier" 440 (U and V code) Birds all got the 070 clutch and 216 fan and then switched to the other fan and solid spacer (1.06" #1851959) as a running change sometime in early November. There must have been a dealer notice as well - I have seen a few Birds coded for the 216/070 that had the solid fans.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701