News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tor Red with white or black decals

Started by boss429kiwi, July 14, 2011, 02:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

I believe the official word is that "all" Tor Red Birds had white decals from factory?
However I see more Tor Red Birds with black decals than I do white.

Is this just restoration error? If so its a big error!
I guess its also personal preference?

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

pettybird

they came both ways.  I think the only colors you won't get into a dispute over are black decals on white cars and white decals on B5 cars.  Everything else is open season.

A383Wing

I have seen more black decals on the red cars...come to think of it, I can't remember seeing a white decal on a red car in person

70Sbird

Quote from: A383Wing on July 14, 2011, 04:36:17 PM
I have seen more black decals on the red cars...come to think of it, I can't remember seeing a white decal on a red car in person

I can't tell if these are red or orange, but either way they appear to both be the same color, and one of each, this was from talladega 2009

also Talladega, orange and red side by side both Black

next pic is MMW 2010, here you can see red with white, orange with black, and up farther Red with black!
:shruggy:

Scott Faulkner

boss429kiwi

This is quoted from the Aero Warriors web site.

"The rear quarter panel decal "Plymouth" was normally white on blue and red cars, while black decals were found on green, orange, white and yellow cars"
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

maxwellwedge

FWIW - My survivor Tor -Red  (V2) had white and my survivor Vitamin C (K2) has black.

70Sbird

Quote from: maxwellwedge on July 14, 2011, 06:09:53 PM
FWIW - My survivor Tor -Red  (V2) had white and my survivor K2 has black.
Like Petty Bird said earlier, the Blue and white cars are easy.
I have seen mixes of black and white decals on all other colors of cars. I gave a great picture from the 1992 Mopar nats in Columbus of two limelight Superbirds going down the track, one black letters, one white.
I woul dhave to believe there were variances on the other 5 colors.
I have also seen Red quarter decals on a white car, that just didn't look right though :eek2:

Scott Faulkner

A383Wing

OK..my bad...I thought the decals that were being talked about was the nose-cone decals...not the "Plymouth" on the rear quarter

I'm gonna take my meds now

<sigh>

Arnie Cunningham

My car still had most of the original paint on it when I got it.  It appeared to never have had any quarter panel decals installed.  And, the wing decals were different from one another.  One side had black lettering and the other had white.  The car is ev2. :shruggy: :scratchchin: :P
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

moparstuart

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 15, 2011, 07:14:35 AM
My car still had most of the original paint on it when I got it.  It appeared to never have had any quarter panel decals installed.  And, the wing decals were different from one another.  One side had black lettering and the other had white.  The car is ev2. :shruggy: :scratchchin: :P
:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

EV2 white decal :Twocents:

Superbird 1/4 Souvenir

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

pettybird

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 15, 2011, 07:14:35 AM
My car still had most of the original paint on it when I got it.  It appeared to never have had any quarter panel decals installed.  And, the wing decals were different from one another.  One side had black lettering and the other had white.  The car is ev2. :shruggy: :scratchchin: :P

I'd imagine someone didn't like them early on.  Our cars are the same way.

Our petty car has white quarter decals and black wing decals.  when we bought the car, dad got a couple extra sets from Les Bowman, and a couple loose decals.  He got one white quarter decal and two black wing decals.  I added a white quarter decal about 5 years ago.  if you look hard at the car you can see the decals have been on for a long time, but it was just 35 years ago and not 41.

Our B5 car has black scoops.  We bought it that way, and they were black in a picture sent by the previous owner.  He painted them, though, when the blue started to flake.  It was done in 1973...38 years ago.  The picture we have is from 1974, so we're not lacking for photo "proof."  I'm very leery of stories where people are sure their cars came that way just because they don't know it any other way.  The recent thread about the black around the headlight doors is the same...I'm sure Chrysler could have missed a couple, but how many had damaged noses in transport where the body shop fixed the metal, ordered the decal kit, and didn't know any better?  I only worked new car sales for 9 months (a number of years ago) and I sold three cars that were damaged in shipping and fixed without telling the customers.  We just called 'em up and told them their new car was in and ready to go.

Brock Samson

OK - I'm hardly the EXPERT some of you guys are but I thought I read some time ago (somewhere) the decals came in the trunkand were dealer applied..  :shruggy:

Golden-Arm

i'm sure a quick look at the superbirds lined up at clairpointe, prior to delivery, would answer that   :scratchchin:

pettybird

Quote from: Brock Samson on July 15, 2011, 01:20:38 PM
OK - I'm hardly the EXPERT some of you guys are but I thought I read some time ago (somewhere) the decals came in the trunkand were dealer applied..  :shruggy:

they were on at the factory

pettybird

SBBob

Many years ago at a dealership here in Washington I was told that if the interior of the car was white the decals were white, but through the years I have seen that this was not true.  Besides here in the NW were are as far away from NASCAR racing as you can get.
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

A383Wing

Quote from: SBBob on July 17, 2011, 01:08:51 PM
  Besides here in the NW were are as far away from NASCAR racing as you can get.

not in my house! We are following all 3 series every weekend.

<now back to our regularly scheduled topic>

SBBob

Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

Arnie Cunningham

There are some trustworthy accounts of the quarter decals being delivered in the trunk rather than installed.  Several years ago I contacted a gentleman who had listed his Superbird on ebay.  It was a yellow auto 4 bbl car.  The ad was accurate but he had failed to mention many of the attributes of the car that would make it more appealing.  Many emails and phones calls later he had related the entire story of the car to me.  His father had purchased the car used in 1972.  The car had been driven often in the 70s, and then like many of our cars, it sat for years in storage.  Eventually the father passed away and his mother was tired of looking at the car.  One thing that interested me was the fact that it had no quarter panel decals on it.  The car still had all of its original paint.  He explained that he had wondered about the same thing after seeing other Superbirds in the 1970s.  Since the car was sold new in his home state, he went back to the original dealer and spoke with some of the people who had worked there when his car was new.  He was informed by the dealership that the 3 cars they had received had the quarter panel decals unistalled - they were in the trunk and the dealership had decided not to install them.

As for damage prior to delivery to the first owner, yes that happens more than one can imagine.  My car is exactly one of those repaired vehicles.  The damage to the nose during a test drive was significant enough so that the original dealership welded and bondoed the nose to the fenders.  They must have had trouble finding the headlight black out decals because the ones on my car were home made out of some material that looks like that anti-skid black sandpaper that you would stick to airplane wings.  It had obviously been on the car a very long time because the subsequent nose dings also damaged the home made decals.

As with so many factors on these cars, there is: What the manufacturer intended, and, What actually happened.  lol.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

62 Max

This is the way they were "supposed" to be.

440mop

Could it be that as Tor Red isn't exactly Red and was a new colour for 1970, that the decals were applied as if it was an Orange painted car?
John
440 4spd Daytona - Sold
Auckland New Zealand

WINGIN IT

Quote from: 440mop on July 20, 2011, 04:04:07 AM
Could it be that as Tor Red isn't exactly Red and was a new colour for 1970, that the decals were applied as if it was an Orange painted car?
John

Interesting point... perhaps those with less than accurate color vision...

**NEWSFLASH** Claire Point empolyees COLOR BLIND ! *** :lol:

But seriously, they are similar colors...

Golden-Arm

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 19, 2011, 10:40:29 AM
There are some trustworthy accounts of the quarter decals being delivered in the trunk rather than installed.....

that would seem credible, EXCEPT for the fact that pictures of the cars, at the clairpointe facility show them fully decaled. those "trustworthy sources' are anything but credible. the pictures dont lie. :nana:

FJ5WING

Quote from: Golden-Arm on July 20, 2011, 10:02:58 AM
Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on July 19, 2011, 10:40:29 AM
There are some trustworthy accounts of the quarter decals being delivered in the trunk rather than installed.....

that would seem credible, EXCEPT for the fact that pictures of the cars, at the clairpointe facility show them fully decaled. those "trustworthy sources' are anything but credible. the pictures dont lie. :nana:

but the picture dosent show decals on all the cars....you just cant say for sure of theyre there or not!  :shruggy:
wingless now, but still around.