News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Man Builds His Own Bugatti Veyron

Started by Old Moparz, July 16, 2011, 07:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

WOW!   :o

And I was feeling sorry for myself for having such a difficult time getting a damn sandblaster to stop spraying mud on my parts, this guy builds a cool supercar.   :lol:

Looks cool.  :coolgleamA:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/man-builds-own-million-dollar-bugatti-supercar-hand-211223675.html

The Bugatti Veyron is a modern automotive legend. The sleek speedster from Volkswagen boasts a top speed of over 260mph, making it the fastest road-legal car in the world, and it has a stunningly large $1.5 million price tag to match. Because of this astronomical cost of entry, only a few hundred of the vehicles have ever been built, meaning your chances of owning one are rather slim. That is, unless you're Mike Duff, an ambitious 25-year-old from Florida who decided to build his very own Bugatti with his bare hands.

Starting with a complete 2002 Mercury Cougar coupe, Duff set to work transforming the vehicle's entire exterior into that of a world-class supercar. He used fiberglass and composite material to create the Veyron's iconic lines, and laid it all over a tubular steel frame. After a professional paint job and plenty of buffing, the car was ready for the showroom, but Duff wasn't done yet. He then took to the Cougar's interior, covering everything from the seats to the dashboard in genuine leather. When we spoke with him, he said the project took him a full 9 months from start to finish.

The detailed doppelgänger even sports usable back seats, which is something the real million-dollar ride completely lacks. Speaking of price, that's another area where this fantastic fake beats out its original counterpart. Duff currently has the vehicle up for sale with a price of $89,000 — less than 1/10th the price of a genuine Veyron.

Unfortunately, while that price will buy you the looks of a barely-legal race car, it doesn't buy you the performance. Under its gorgeous exterior, the "Cougatti" is still distinctly pedestrian, and remains equipped with its original 2.5-liter V6 engine that produces roughly 170 horsepower. This is in stark contrast to the 8-liter 16-cylinder powerplant of the real car, which produces a neck-snapping 1,000 horses.

Still, for the price of a Porsche, there's not much you can complain about when the car is a nearly indistinguishable replica of the fastest road car in the world. Not to mention the fact that some other Bugatti tributes can cost an order of magnitude more, and are never meant to leave your office.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

G-man

Thanks for the Link.

Shame he didnt purchase the W16 engine for it so its a replica so to speak.

Good work. Thats what I plan to do,get a GT40 for 1 1/0th of the price of an original one. It makes sense if its the look and performance ur after and dont care about whether  the company built it it or not.

Mike DC

It's a show-only replica.  

But then again, the real Veyron is basically a poser anyway.  Exotic 2-seater supercars that are designed for actual driving don't weight 2 tons.  

64dartgt

He should have spent some money on the engine.  $90K for something that looks great but has pathetic performance...I could buy two new Challenger SRT8's for that!

BananaDan

He should hope he never gets into an accident.  The insurance adjuster may have a hard time to believe the car they need to cover losses on is an 02 Cougar.  I assume he keeps it registered and insured as a Cougar?  It's VIN is still a Cougar VIN I assume.
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

sixty8charger

that would suck for whoever purchased it..  wreks it, and then the insurrance only settles for $4K after spending 89...  :eek2:
Jayson

Silver R/T

Whoever purchases it would probably use it for show only, it's going to be someone's trailer queen.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

bull

WTF? --->>> "he said the project took him a full 9 months from start to finish." A FULL nine months? Holy crap, how did he manage to carve that much time out of his life to build a project car? ::) ::) ::)

This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about here: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82888.0.html

John_Kunkel

Yeah, the nine month time frame is the only "wow" for me.

Of course, it only took nine months to make me....another work of art.  :smilielol:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TK73

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 16, 2011, 09:41:25 PM

But then again, the real Veyron is basically a poser anyway. 

Isn't the real one a 250+ mph car?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Mike DC

Yeah the real one can go 250 mph.  

Its got a powerful motor but I still call it a poser.  I question whether a Veyron could beat a good new Corvette on a road course.  IMHO they didn't build that car to drive well, they built it to post high numbers in the press and post a high price on the sticker.

TK73

Looking around there is nothing that compares between the 2.  the Veyron is a much faster/more powerful/better car in every category I find. It should at 15-20x the cost of a 'Vette.  I seriously doubt that they forgot to consider turning when they developed that suspension.

Hands down the Veyron would kick a C6's a$$... repeatedly.

Might have a "realistic" discussion based on similarities if you compare a 'Vette to a Viper.   :shruggy:
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

Mike DC

A top fuel rail dragster can hit 300+ mph and blow the Veyron out of the water at any stage of acceleration getting there.   But all that straight line ability doesn't make it a good overall car for a road course.   

The Bugatti only makes good lateral & braking numbers with the help of massive aero downforce.  That only works at high speed.  The whole car has huge capabilities but you need much smoother & straighter roads than you find in the real world (or even on virtually any closed road course).  At lower speeds the car's weight disadvantage (incurred for the sake of all that top-end ability) makes it a slower car than the typical stuff it might be lined up against.   

It's the same reason that a 5hp go-kart would kick the crap out of any normal car if you were racing around an enclosed parking garage.  The normal full sized car is "faster" than the go-kart but only in the sense that it's designed for a radically bigger track.  And in the case of the Veyron, the necessary "bigger tracks" don't exist on this planet.  The Veyron's designers compromised the car's real world capabilities for the sake of theoretical abilities that it will never use. 

Troy

Really? Does anyone actually drive their Veyron? Even if you can afford it there's no guarantee you could buy one of the few that left the factory. I'd love to have one of these! I wouldn't pay that kind of cash for one but I bet the insurance is waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the real thing (it may not cover the car completely though). I don't think there are too many engine swap options for a Cougar but maybe a supercharger or something would help. People build Lamborghini replicas all the time using stock Fieros and I seldom hear anyone question the performance. Of course, you can squeeze a 700 hp small block Chevy into one if you choose...

Kudos to the guy for actually following through and building what he wanted.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

200MPH

Charger

bordin34

From what I found the Veyron has done Nurburgring in 7:40, Corvette ZR-1 7:26, Murcielago LP640 7:40.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

Old Moparz

Having the stock motor from the Cougar seems lame, but the car looks great. I don't know anything about the Cougars for that year either, but it would seem logical that you could at least get some kind of HP version of whatever motor it has, or upgrade by doing an engine swap.   :shruggy:
               Bob                

Blakcharger440

Quote from: bordin34 on July 18, 2011, 12:32:55 PM
From what I found the Veyron has done Nurburgring in 7:40, Corvette ZR-1 7:26, Murcielago LP640 7:40.

I thought a Viper ACR held the crown at one time with the best time for Nurburgring.

G-man

Troy

THis guy here did drive his veyron

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaHi7WSc_po

I LOL! at that.

Look at topgear... The Veyron was pretty quick, slower than much weaker cars though, the only reason it had a decent track time was all that Horsepower and all that braking which tries to compensate for the stupid weight. Any other supercar with Veyron power would have the same top end speed and would lap the veyron around a track a few times.

Darkman

The Veyron was never meant to be a car to be reproduced (in whatever numbers). It was based on a group of engineers seeing if it could be possible. It was never meant to be anything more than a concept
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

aussiemuscle

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on July 18, 2011, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: bordin34 on July 18, 2011, 12:32:55 PM

I thought a Viper ACR held the crown at one time with the best time for Nurburgring.
i think the viper owned it for about a week.....

nh_mopar_fan

Old Moparz

Bob