News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

auto to 4 speed

Started by mopar0166, August 15, 2011, 09:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

All I know is,
I've had this same conversation about a Hundred times with Customers over the years ?
and invariably,
any of the Guys that actually do laps at the track with an 833, ALWAYS, end up switching to an Auto/High Stall at some later point,
with,
2 great BENEFITS, they go FASTER with quicker E.T.'s, and save MONEY and TIME not having to repair their junk.(Thats 3, sorry)

Comparing what Ronnie Sox did 40 years ago with an 833 4 gear,
against,
TODAYS Convertor Technology, and Torque multiplication Factors on a decent brand Torque Convertor ?
Sorry, not much of an argument, nuff said....

Drive whatever your happy with,
just don't think it's quicker OK ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

My GL is a A833 4 Speed. Troy is right that traffic will wear you out, rumpety cams and a heavy clutch make for a painful exercise. Steep hills can also be a bit of a pain. Shifting gears is fun but like Challenger340 says, autos are quicker and in my opinion easier on drive line components. The ford powerglide is only 2 speed and a popular choice for drag racers...

Make sure you cut the clutch linkage hole in the firewall in the correct spot.    

Most GL's were auto's anyways and if your keeping the car reasonably authentic I doubt you'd be trying to extract every 10th out of it. The General Lee is a fun car and a 4 speed would make it more fun in my opinion.

You can always leave it auto and make shifting noises if you like and save bucket loads of cash   :yesnod:

mopar0166

Thanks, it'll be part of the winter projects this year along with dropping in the 440

Chryco Psycho

somehow it is assumed that a 4 spd will break with abuse [which is true as you really can break anything with abuse]
But Autos & converters never fail LOL ...... my experience is Autos & converters fail as well especially racing them 
Maybe a Lenco is a better option , you get to shift even though it is essentially an automatic design & it will take some killer abuse / use

idahogrumpy

My 73 Charger was a factory big block 4 speed car and now has an automatic.
I broke (twisted) two drive line input yokes, 1- 8 3/4 rear end, not to mention the twist that the body took on launch. Besides that my neck was real sore after a day at the drags! Yes my car is raced with sticky tires on a some what regular basis. My car is also quicker and more fun for me to drive now. It has a full manual valve body automatic.

I saved all of the four speed stuff for the next owner to learn from.
To me it's just not worth trouble and expense to go to a 4 speed.

Have fun,
Grumpy 
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Cooter

Quote from: 440 on September 09, 2011, 12:39:23 AM
The ford powerglide is only 2 speed and a popular choice for drag racers...

Hmmmmm, I coulda swore that Chevy made the "Powerglide" trans... :-\

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 08, 2011, 11:56:48 PM

Comparing what Ronnie Sox did 40 years ago with an 833 4 gear,
against,
TODAYS Convertor Technology, and Torque multiplication Factors on a decent brand Torque Convertor ?
Sorry, not much of an argument, nuff said....

If you split hairs all the way down to thousandths of a second, then the auto wins hands down...All I know is, when the 123 cars are done, and you hear the "Gear jammer" class get called to the line, for some reason almost everybody gets up out their seats and hangs their fingers in the fence to see those 4-gear cars "tote the mail"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

All I know is, when the 123 cars are done, and you hear the "Gear jammer" class get called to the line, for some reason almost everybody gets up out their seats and hangs their fingers in the fence to see those 4-gear cars "tote the mail"...

Probably because they're seeing some actual skill at work instead of just a gas pedal getting mashed to the floor.

Quote from: Cooter on September 09, 2011, 06:45:58 PM
Quote from: 440 on September 09, 2011, 12:39:23 AM
The ford powerglide is only 2 speed and a popular choice for drag racers...

Hmmmmm, I coulda swore that Chevy made the "Powerglide" trans... :-\

Yes Cooter, it was one of those brain fade moments  :rotz:  lol