News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage Air users, looking for experiences and pix.....>>>>>

Started by Johnny SixPack, January 14, 2006, 04:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Hey guys, my heater core gave up the ghost last night, and since I was already looking at adding A/C, I figured now would be a good time to add it since the V/A set up replaces the heater core at the same time the system is installed.

I'd really like to hear about any problems you might have had, and and also which setup you went with (V/A doesn't make a dedicated MoPar kit).

I'd also really appreciate any pix you might have of the installed kit.

My car did not originally come with A/C, so I'm very interested to see what the V/A kits offer in the way of ducting/vents.

Thanks a bunch!

Johnny
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

phat69charger

You can just try calling the company and ask them for mopar picture installs or if they have any customers who have pictures 1-800-862-6658, they have been around since 1976 they should have or know of someone that has done a Mopar install, when you call ask for a person that has some time on the job and that would know who to contact.

Johnny SixPack

Thanks! :2thumbs:

I'll call 'em tomorrow.

Yeah, they should have something to show what the system would look like installed, but unfortunately their website is mostly GM stuff.

I know they are supposed the be the way to go (39*F from the vent), but I'm waiting to see the finished product before I go and get too excited.
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

phat69charger

Also if you go with a VA unit I suggest that you get the compressor brackets from  http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEACmountingbrackets.asp they specialize in mopar brackets, I'm using the BPE4715.

Johnny SixPack

Well, called 'em today, and sadly the rep said they didn't have any pix of customer's cars, but he did say that Vintage Air will be releasing MoPar specific setups within the next two months!!! :2thumbs:

He recommended that I just keep an eye on the website otherwise, as most of their customers don't send in anything showing what the final results look like.

Oh well, thanks for the # and the tip on the bracket! :cheers:
Johnny's Herd:

bill440rt

Classic Auto Air seems to have a good kit as well. It is made to fit the car, not just a "universal" kit. You can get the compressor in a natural or polished finish.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2006, 09:50:33 AM
Classic Auto Air seems to have a good kit as well. It is made to fit the car, not just a "universal" kit. You can get the compressor in a natural or polished finish.

Thanks Bill. :cheers:

I'll check them out too.

Definitely tryin' to stay away from universal kits, 'cause let's face it, they never are.  :icon_smile_big:

And I don't want to spend a whole Texas summer without A/C again.
Johnny's Herd:

bill440rt

Good Luck Formula440!
Let me know which kit you decide to use.
I spoke to the guy from Classic Auto Air at the Mopar swaps, he seemed knowledgable and their catalog was also very descriptive. It seemed like a more "model specific" kit.
Of course, the vents mount under the dash, but if you have existing dash vents I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to use them. I'm gonna use their kit in my '69 project, which didn't come with air. Their kit includes the heater box (which seems much better than other competitors), compressor, dryer, lines, all brackets, etc, hardware, vents, etc. Basically everything you need.
A guy I know told me he tried to install a competitors kit (not Classic Auto Air) in a car and it was a nightmare. Had to of been one of those "generic" kits.
Good Luck!
bill440rt
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

AKcharger

I wrote to them once and got all the instructions...looked like a good system, 1st $1200 I get it's going in!

bill440rt

I plan on running a 440-6 pack, too. In their catalog, Classic Auto Air shows their setup installed on a car with a 6-pack air cleaner, so I already know it's gonna fit. The sales rep said it would clear fine. The compressor mounts up top, like the originals did. Since it's smaller, it will clear the air cleaner.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2006, 09:46:06 PM
I plan on running a 440-6 pack, too. In their catalog, Classic Auto Air shows their setup installed on a car with a 6-pack air cleaner, so I already know it's gonna fit. The sales rep said it would clear fine. The compressor mounts up top, like the originals did. Since it's smaller, it will clear the air cleaner.

I saw that!

Mine will be going on a big cube stroker (possibly a 6-pack also, but haven't decided), and I'm really diggin' the low hp draw the compressor will put on the motor.

My stock heater core is shot, so I'm also happy that everything will be replaced.

Especially liked the simple/clean ducting/vent setup, as my "69 is a non-A/C car.

The price is in line with what I was hearing the Vintage Air setup would equal out to, but since they don't offer a MoPar specific kit (and their upcoming release of one will more than likely have bugs that will need to be ironed out), the Classic Auto Air route seems like the smartest avenue.

Thanks again Bill, and I'll make sure to try and document the whole install for anyone looking to do the same upgrade. :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:

bill440rt

Oh please, please, please!!!  :yesnod:
I'd like to see that. Good luck Formula, keep me posted!
BTW, the wife gave the nod to the A/C conversion just after I finished restoring the original heater box, complete with a new core from Year One. Know anyone interested??   :icon_smile_big:

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: bill440rt on January 30, 2006, 10:41:58 PM
Oh please, please, please!!!  :yesnod:
I'd like to see that. Good luck Formula, keep me posted!
BTW, the wife gave the nod to the A/C conversion just after I finished restoring the original heater box, complete with a new core from Year One. Know anyone interested??   :icon_smile_big:

LOL!

I would've been if I was stickin' stock, but the "69 is my 'toy' now, and the CAA kit will replace the heater core too.

Or am I readin' that wrong?
Johnny's Herd:

bill440rt

Yup, the CAA kit comes complete with the A/C-heater box assembly, with the blower motor! You basically unbolt your old one, & install the new one.
My old heater box might look good on my coffee table, on second thought.  ;D
Good Luck!

Mike DC

I always wonder about the future with these kits.  What happens when you need a heater-core or an electric switch in 12 years and the business you bought it from has gone under?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For most retrofits in the old-car hobby, you usually see the same pattern play out.  We settle on one of the OEM setups that was used in a bazillion cars & isn't too hard to retrofit.  The lower-budget projects retrofit the junkyard stuff, and the top-end cars used aftermarket duplications of the original pieces.  (Look at Corvette & Pinto front suspensions, GM steering columns, etc.)

I'm kinda surprised we haven't gotten here with the A/C & heater setups by now.  Isn't there some A/C setup that Detriot used a lot in the last 20 years that's plenty to cool the inside of a mid-size musclecar and is relatively compact?  That can be mounted in various cars with a few homemade brackets?

bill440rt

A lot of the components that the CAA system uses ARE Detroit pieces, from modern cars. It uses your existing factory heater controls even if you don't have one for A/C.
The compressor is a Sanden unit, and is used on a bazillion cars. The condenser is a repro unit, & installs in the factory location. Driers are also available repro. The box is serviceable just like an OEM unit, the competitors are not. The way the new heater cores are made nowadays, they last far longer than original ones. The box also uses a modern Spal blower motor.

I am NOT an advocator or spokesperson for any company by any means, I have just done a bit of research to come to my decision of which company I'll use for my aftermarket A/C kit. One could spend hours trying to fabricate brackets, test components to see if they will or will not work together, redesign brackets, etc. Project cars can sometimes take a very long time. If I can shave off a few months with one phone call for something that's reasonable priced with ALL NEW parts, that's the route I'm gonna take.

daytonalo

I CALLED CLASSIC  AND TOLD THEM I WANTED A MODERN A/C SYSTEM FOR MY HEMI DAYTONA CLONE BUT I WANTED THE IN AND OUT FOR THE HEATER IN STOCK LOCATION BUT I WANTED A/C LINES TO COME IN DOWN LOW NEAR FRAME RAIL . I WANT TO MOUNT COMPRESSOR DOWN LOW ON MOTOR [ DON'T NEED TO CLUTTER UP MY HEMI WITH THAT UGLY COMPRESSOR] WILL RUN A/C LINES ALONG FRAME RAILS

jaak

Quote from: daytonalo on March 11, 2006, 01:54:39 AM
I CALLED CLASSIC AND TOLD THEM I WANTED A MODERN A/C SYSTEM FOR MY HEMI DAYTONA CLONE BUT I WANTED THE IN AND OUT FOR THE HEATER IN STOCK LOCATION BUT I WANTED A/C LINES TO COME IN DOWN LOW NEAR FRAME RAIL . I WANT TO MOUNT COMPRESSOR DOWN LOW ON MOTOR [ DON'T NEED TO CLUTTER UP MY HEMI WITH THAT UGLY COMPRESSOR] WILL RUN A/C LINES ALONG FRAME RAILS

Cool idea, seems like I remember reading an article on a Hemi challenger that was set up the same way. It may have been a clone, but I remember the compressor was mounted low, under the alt, if I am not mistaking.

Jason

bill440rt

I also spoke to Classic the other day. You can mount the compressor low in the fuel pump area. You'll need to run an electric fuel pump instead.
If you're running a 6-pack type air cleaner, they have special top mount brackets that mount the compressor even lower up top than normal position, so it's not as "out front" as usual.

Troy

Bouchillon Performance makes the brackets to mount the A/C compressor where the fuel pump goes. That hides it on pretty much any bog block but then you're stuck using an electric pump.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

daytonalo

I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THAT FAR YET , BUT I DON'T WANT AN ELECTRIC PUMP , GOING TO TRY TO FIT IT UNDER POWER STEERING PUMP . KEY WORD TRY !

Troy

Quote from: daytonalo on March 11, 2006, 11:17:25 PM
I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THAT FAR YET , BUT I DON'T WANT AN ELECTRIC PUMP , GOING TO TRY TO FIT IT UNDER POWER STEERING PUMP . KEY WORD TRY !
There's another place that makes a bracket to put the compressor there but the name escapes me at the moment. I'll see if I can dig up the link. Actually, you should just make one - well, make two and send me one for "testing" purposes... :D

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bill440rt

Classic Air can also supply those brackets for the power steering pump side. However, you'll lose the power steering, too. It's sort of a catch 22. Try contacting them direct, they were very informative.
I'm mounting mine up top, & gonna run a 6-pack. I don't want to use an electric fuel pump, & definitely don't want to lose power steering.