News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turning a Truck dana 60, into a Car dana.

Started by ACUDANUT, August 22, 2011, 09:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

I quote:
"kinda surprized you don't know that the 3/4 ton Dana 60 used the SAME SPLINE as the 8 3/4 rears....Yes, 30 spine...only time I've had a problem was when the Dana 60 and 70 were used from a 1 ton truck....Those were HUGE axles. otherwise, it's so easy to convert a Dana 60 from a 3/4 ton truck, it should be illeagal...All you really gain from it is the center section doing it MY WAY, but then again, I've never had enough money in a 440 to even think about breaking an 8 3/4 with an automatic so it works for me..."

I am going to test this thoery out...I have a 73 Dodge 3/4 ton dana, and I have 2- 8 3/4 axles. I am going to attempt to pull the 8 lug axles out and slide my 8 3/4 axles in.   What is the trick ?  how do I trade axles out..I don't know anything about a Dana.

DC_1

tufamc

Don't forget, your Dana 60 out of your truck, will be (should be) a FULL floating axle, your 8 3/4 is not. The only way to make it work, if the splines are the same, is to cut down the 60's axle tubes to to match the length of your 8 3/4, axleshaft length, remove all the full floating stuff, weld on the ends of your 8 3/4 to the 60. I have done this many many many times....tho I use a Dana 44 axleshafts and outers, and weld then onto a Dana 60. For my jeeps, keeps the axle width smaller, and gives me a bigger ring and pinion, while keeping 5 or 6 lug wheels...
69' Charger 383 4bbl, TF727.....for now......

ACUDANUT

We need pictures and steps doing this. PLEASE. :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

Unless you plan on doing several of these, the cost of the equipment needed to properly narrow a rear end is more than the cost of having somebody do it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ACUDANUT

I don't plan on narrowing the Dana 60...It's going into a 53 Ford Truck for my Brother in law.

Musicman

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 22, 2011, 06:46:32 PM
I don't plan on narrowing the Dana 60...It's going into a 53 Ford Truck for my Brother in law.

Maybe it's just me, but if that's the case, don't you think a different subject title for this post would have been more appropriate  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

No, because regardless of the application, the issue is still they same. (except the narrowing part).
It's still a mopar bolt pattern of 4 1/2 inch. (not 8 lug)
PS. My brother in law has only months to live and I need help getting his truck on the road. This would really make him happy, and I want to see his dream truck run.

Cooter

"ACUDANUT", I have posted the pics of my conversion here as well as CC.com but if you look at the thread, I posted some pics of what you need to do. No, this isn't as simple as "Bolting everything together"...Nothing ever is, but converting one of these isn't all that hard either if you at least have some mechanical knowledge.

Bout the only way you can slide the 8 3/4 axles in to "Test" the theory would be to cut off the "Truck" housing ends...Otherwise, the Dana will be too wide for the 8 3/4 axles to slide in....Basicaqlly, this swap involves more than I led on, but like I said, if you have ANY mechanical ability youi can swap 'em...

First, Cut the housing. Measure three times and cut once here..Gotta get it right.
Next, find out if you can, or will have to MAKE a "Thrust block"(piece in the middle of an open 8 3/4 that kinda slides back and forth on the pin to allow the axle end play to be adjusted.) as the Dana 60 had the full floating bearings and no need for this.
After that, next would be either cutting you old 8 3/4 housing, or any 8 3/4 housing from about 1965-up for the "Car" ends that will allow your "Car" backing plates to be bolted on...
next would be sliding in your stock or aftermarket your choice, axles and set the end play on the bearings.

next, go have some fun...

Here's my Conversion Pinion Snubber off an 8 3/4 reworked to fit a Dana 60..

In this pic notice the lack of the thrust block? (No slider on the pin?)

Now, notice the slider on the pin in the 8 3/4?

In this pic. You can clearly see one side has the "Car" end welded on and one side doesn't...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

ACUDANUT

I think I can do this...I have all the parts.
Not looking forward to it, but oh well...Maybe I can just find him a Ford 9 inch, and I can make this for my Charger.
:yesnod:

John_Kunkel

Quote from: ACUDANUT on August 22, 2011, 06:46:32 PM

Whether or not you change the overall width, the drill is the same...you will need to remove the full-floating housing ends and replace them with passenger car style ends for the passenger car axles. This requires specialized equipment that exceeds the cost of having somebody do it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

astjp2

Just send the housing to dutchman, they can narrow the housing and put on billet ends for 380 shipped to your door via ups.  If you want to use disc brakes, the ford explorer kit is the way to go 89.00 from Tera Flex for the backing plates and , it uses a timken set 20 bearing and the ends are the ford big bearing.  This same setup is common to jeeps and I have started my build.  I am actually installing Dana 70 gears in the 60 housing.  Its called a Jana 76, a guy named Carl Jantz came up with the special bearings and shims to do this swap.  If you have any questions, give me a shout.  Tim

ACUDANUT

I just gave the Dana 60 away last week.  Not worth the time and money...It wasn't even a "posi-trac" either. :scratchchin: