News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Project - Blue One - update

Started by Daytona Guy, August 22, 2011, 08:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Brutalowner on November 09, 2012, 04:52:41 PM
We build and re-gear axles almost on a daily basis. Spend the extra few bucks and buy the Yukon gears. Also, look for a Powr-Lok , not a Track-Lok. Much better choice. You might also look at their Chromoly axles and tapered bearing kits too.

Plus with 700 HP it should get up and go either way. I'm also open to people's input on my gears. nitro caries a new ring and pinion at this size.

[/quote]

That's the reason not to buy the cheap stuff.... My :Twocents:
[/quote]

Thanks man !!

Hemi Runner

My two cents...(which isn't worth that)... you won't need anything deeper than 3.55 gears for that engine, and those carbs don't like anything over 5 psi of fuel pressure. I'd put in the off road needles and seats to stop the dreaded stumble/bog on quick stops and tight corners and then put a fuel pressure regulator in after the pump. I run twin 800cfm thunder series on my 572 so been there, got the t-shirt.

Daytona Guy

When both bowls are open - what will the pressure drop to? This is an 8 psi HEMI pump. I'm running 2 - 750's. It looks like i'm going to try out the 2.94's. Will be 2800-3300 @ 55-75 respectively.

What Cam are you running? Duration (@ 50)? Lift? Tire size?

Dane

Hemi Runner

You'll never see a pressure drop of more than 1 psi or so as the needles won't ever be wide open. Mine made 735 on the local dyno on pump gas. It could make a bunch more with some decent heads. Currently has early MP aluminum heads that I ported. I run 5 psi to the carbs and spray a 300 shot of nitrous and the pump feeds both the engine and the spray.  I'm running a 274/280 solid roller with .685/.622 lift (that's the limit on this one due to P2V clearance).  Tire is a 275 drag radial. 28" diameter. What do you plan on doing with this car?

Charger-Bodie

My FHO hemi came with the pump and a regulator set at 5 psi . Works awesome.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Hemi Runner on November 10, 2012, 09:44:37 PM
You'll never see a pressure drop of more than 1 psi or so as the needles won't ever be wide open. Mine made 735 on the local dyno on pump gas. It could make a bunch more with some decent heads. Currently has early MP aluminum heads that I ported. I run 5 psi to the carbs and spray a 300 shot of nitrous and the pump feeds both the engine and the spray.  I'm running a 274/280 solid roller with .685/.622 lift (that's the limit on this one due to P2V clearance).  Tire is a 275 drag radial. 28" diameter. What do you plan on doing with this car?

Give me some pics of your car and engine - wow

Then why do I need the HEMI pump??? Can't I get that PSI out od a 440 stock pump?

THis is just a show car, to sound freaking good - 3" straight through muffs - and go fast - to smoke the tires -  Pop the hood jaw drop - and to have the HEMI badge on the door :)  Will not race this car - cruise well on the freeway.

My actual fear is that when I punch it the car will go sideways - I want it safe.

Dane

Daytona Guy

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 10, 2012, 09:49:38 PM

Recomendations for the inline regulator?

Dane

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Hemi Runner on November 10, 2012, 09:44:37 PM
You'll never see a pressure drop of more than 1 psi or so as the needles won't ever be wide open. Mine made 735 on the local dyno on pump gas. It could make a bunch more with some decent heads. Currently has early MP aluminum heads that I ported. I run 5 psi to the carbs and spray a 300 shot of nitrous and the pump feeds both the engine and the spray.  I'm running a 274/280 solid roller with .685/.622 lift (that's the limit on this one due to P2V clearance).  Tire is a 275 drag radial. 28" diameter. What do you plan on doing with this car?

Are those Cam numbers @ 50 - those look like my advertised numbers - an important distinction. What is P2V ??? I think I got it Piston to valve :)

Dane

JB400

If I recall, hemi had 3/8 fuel line, 383 and 440 had 5/16 fuel line.  Hemi also flows at 80gph.  440 flows somewhere between 40 and 50 gph.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Daytona Guy on November 11, 2012, 01:19:20 AM
Give me some pics of your car and engine - wow
Then why do I need the HEMI pump??? Can't I get that PSI out od a 440 stock pump?

THis is just a show car, to sound freaking good - 3" straight through muffs - and go fast - to smoke the tires -  Pop the hood jaw drop - and to have the HEMI badge on the door :)  Will not race this car - cruise well on the freeway.

My actual fear is that when I punch it the car will go sideways - I want it safe.

Dane
You need the volume, just not the pressure. Like I said, put in the off road needle and seat assemblies, it'll prevent a lot of problems later. 3" exhaust is fine on a show car, but if you race this, it's a bunch of backpressure. The 3-1/2" collector on the tti headers is also fine for show duty, but with nearly 600 cubes, it needs a 4" to not hurt performance. I live with the 3-1/2 collector but run cutouts right after the header to help as much as possible. When you punch it, it WILL go sideways.

Hemi Runner

Doesn't look like a high 9 second car, does it? Run's mid 10's on motor all with 3.73 rear gears.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: stroker400 wedge on November 11, 2012, 01:32:23 AM
If I recall, hemi had 3/8 fuel line, 383 and 440 had 5/16 fuel line.  Hemi also flows at 80gph.  440 flows somewhere between 40 and 50 gph.

And keep in mind that 5/16 fuel line fed 375hp and the 3/8 line fed 425hp. With 700hp at the flywheel, it's a different situation. I run 1/2" aluminum line.

Daytona Guy

Hemi Runner

Duration at .050 lift. Engine is 12:1 CR. Cylinder heads are crap compared with what's available today. Pistons are MP wiseco shelf pistons. The 526 that I have going together now will make a bunch more hp than this thing did, but once you open the bottle and hit the WOT switch, it gives me plenty of hang on factor.

Daytona Guy

I'm running 3/8's line - tank to carb.  What make is your cam? My cam @50 is .235/.249 but they don't give me the advertised numbers it may be 272/280. How streatable is your cam? What does it idle at?

Nice ride -Dane

Hemi Runner

Cam is an old straightline, scott brown grind. Idle is normally at 900rpm in park. We drive the car constantly in nice weather. I drove it two hours to the strip and ripped off mid tens on motor and drove home. Doesn't have a radio, though so it's a little boring on the drive.  I have an all aluminum 540 twin turbo hemi going together that should be even more streetable. It will be in a drag radial superbird clone. Cam in it will most likely be in the .260 at .050 range. Don't sweat the duration numbers, it's the valve events that are important.

Daytona Guy

If this is not too inconvenient, what is this height - from the top deck to the bottom of the carb? This ModMan intake might be a little taller than most. I'm a using the oval air cleaner. What air cleaner do you use? What Mounts did you use?

Dane

Hemi Runner

I'll measure that tonight. I used the stageV intake. I have an alterKtion aftermarket coil over front with the hemi engine mounts. Air cleaners are a problem. I modified a fiberglass base to fit. It barely fit with the air grabber.

Daytona Guy

Quote from: Hemi Runner on November 12, 2012, 07:24:15 AM
I'll measure that tonight. I used the stageV intake. I have an alterKtion aftermarket coil over front with the hemi engine mounts. Air cleaners are a problem. I modified a fiberglass base to fit. It barely fit with the air grabber.

I'm using Schumacher hemi mounts, they claim to sit the engine at stock level. I too have altered the base as I posted. I can gain a .5" if I take the point off the oval lid :)

Dane

Hemi Runner

That distance is 5" on my stageV intake. It's uncut. I usually mill 1/4" off of them when hood clearance is an issue. I've also done some fuel injection stuff to these.... This intake got milled around .200" shortly after this photo..

Daytona Guy

Mine is 6" - so I have some fitmeant issues to face - I can't believe they are an inch different - they do not look it at all. Did you see my aircleaner base and how I modified it? Do you have the oval air cleaner lid - mine has the point or crown in the middle that is .5" that I am going to shave down and make it level with the rim - this gets me .5".  My 440 - in my Yellow D is 10.5" from the top deck to the air cleaner lid. I remeasured and it is a 5.75" manifold  - that leaves me 4.75" inches left to work with :(  I may cut the hood under support out just over the aircleaner.

Dane

Hemi Runner

I was wondering about that modman intake. I've never used one but thought about it on my turbo project. I saw your aircleaner base and mine looks very similar although probably more of a hack job but I'm a drag racer first, show guy last. I have the oval lid. Mine hit the airbox from the center back but I also have the advantage of the airgrabber hood and the center hood bulge giving me additional room.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: Daytona Guy on November 11, 2012, 01:20:54 AM
Quote from: 1HotDaytona on November 10, 2012, 09:49:38 PM

Recomendations for the inline regulator?

Dane

I use one of these, but any 5psi inline regulator should get the job done.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13201/overview/

Daytona Guy

Why do I need to regulate it? When the valve opens - fuel comes in. Are we worried that it is come in to fast and wont let the valve close? How does it act if there is not one?

Dane