News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

You know you're Australian if ...

Started by doctor4766, August 25, 2011, 03:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

You know you're Australian if ...

* You believe that stubbies can be either drunk or worn.

* You've made a bong out of your garden hose rather than use it for something illegal such as watering the garden.

* You're liable to burst out laughing whenever you hear of Americans "rooting" for something.

* You understand that the phrase 'a group of women wearing black thongs' refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds.

* You pronounce Melbourne as 'Mel-bin'.

* You believe the 'L' in the word ' Australia ' is optional.

* You can translate: 'Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas.'

* You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep.

* You call your best friend 'a total bastard' but someone you really, truly despise is just 'a bit of a bastard'.

* You think 'Woolloomooloo' is a perfectly reasonable name for a place.

* You're secretly proud of our killer wildlife.

* You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin.

* You believe that cooked-down axle grease makes a good breakfast spread. You've also squeezed it through Vita Wheats to make little Vegemite worms.

* You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff up, at which point they again become Kiwis.

* You know that certain words must, by law, be shouted out during any rendition of the Angels' song 'Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again'
And "Living next door to Alice ".

* You wear ugg boots outside the house.

* You believe that the more you shorten someone's name the more you like them.

* Whatever your linguistic skills, you find yourself able to order takeaway fluently in every Asian language.

* You understand that 'excuse me' can sound rude,
While 'scuse me' is always polite.

* You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.

* You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle and a seat belt buckle becomes a pretty good branding iron.

* Your biggest family argument over the summer concerned the rules for beach cricket.

* You still think of Kylie as 'that girl off Neighbours'.

* When working on a bar, you understand male customers will feel the need to offer an excuse whenever they order low-alcohol beer.

* You know how to abbreviate every word, all of which usually end in
-o: arvo, combo, garbo, kero, lezzo, metho, milko, muso, rego, servo, smoko, speedo, righto, goodo etc.

* You know that there is a universal place called "woop woop" located in the middle of nowhere...no matter where you actually are.

* You know that none of us actually drink Fosters beer, because it tastes like shit. But we let the world think we do. Because we can.

* You have some time in your life slept with Aeroguard on in the summer. Maybe even as perfume.

* You've only ever used the words - tops, ripper, sick, mad, rad, sweet
- to mean good. And then you place 'bloody' in front of it when you REALLY mean it.

* You know that the barbecue is a political arena; the person holding the tongs is always the boss and usually a man.
And the women make the Salad.

* You say 'no worries' quite often, whether you realise it or not.

* You understand what no wucking furries means.

* You've drank your tea/coffee/milo through a Tim Tam.

* You own a Bond's chesty. In several different colours.

* You know that roo meat tastes pretty good, But not as good as barra. Or a meat pie.

* You know that some people pronounce
Australia like "Straya" and that's ok.

Gotta love a '69

Bob T

:smilielol: Good one Ocker  :2thumbs:
You can have dingo Deans too  , along with Russel   , we'll keep Phar Lap , Crowded House and Pav's
and now you get to try our apples after 80 years too :yesnod:   :lol:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

:lol: 

I'm guilty of the Tim Tam thing... Actually my first time in Australia I managed to eat all the Tim Tams provided on a 4WD tour.

The flies in summer  :eek2:  That's a hard one to get used to. My electric fly swatter is my best friend when "out on the patio we sit, and the humidity we breathe, we watch the lightning crack over cane fields"  :lol: 

Bob's your uncle

doctor4766

Nah Bob's my brother in law... and the second poster in this thread.

Ya know if this country didn't have flies, it'd be almost perfect.
Gotta love a '69

Darkman

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 25, 2011, 03:40:44 AM
* You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.

Where I live, in summer, you don't need breakfast. Just go outside and yawn, you'll get your daily calorie intake in one breath  :rofl:

-o: arvo, combo, garbo, kero, lezzo, metho, milko, muso, rego, servo, smoko, speedo, righto, goodo etc.

You forgot the most important one....bottle-o  :yesnod:

* You've drank your tea/coffee/milo through a Tim Tam.

Oh hell yeah
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

twodko

Well............. :shruggy: I wanna know the down low on all that stuff.  :yesnod:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Tim Tams are available in the US. I've found them in Cost Plus World Market but they were called something different, although the packaging was nearly the same.  

It would be similar to sucking coffee through a Twix bar... which I also highly recommend.  :yesnod:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NplQNaU1SyM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqbrsed6DrA  

Bob T

I first went over to Sydney in 1985 on a Lions Youth Exchange, it was around the time Austen Tayshus brought out Australiana, the B side to that was a crackup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6VEJKd1aA&feature=related

And seen the Legendary Rodney Rude twice as well , too good mate.

Even better than that though while we're at it , here's the unofficial New Zealand anthem by the great Fred Dagg /John clarke now resident of Sydney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYvMeT2GC14
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

mauve66

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 25, 2011, 07:37:07 AM
Nah Bob's my brother in law... and the second poster in this thread.

Ya know if this country didn't have flies, it'd be almost perfect.

:brickwall: :brickwall:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

doctor4766

Quote from: twodko on August 25, 2011, 09:04:20 PM
Well............. :shruggy: I wanna know the down low on all that stuff.  :yesnod:
OK, give me a while and I'll explain.
Gotta love a '69

twodko

Trying to explain geo/expressions that span possibly hundreds of years on the forum would be quite a task. No worries  :icon_smile_big:

doctor4766

Ok here goes

* You believe that stubbies can be either drunk or worn. Stubbies are small beer bottles (bud size) AND a brand of shorts, often worn for sport or work

* You've made a bong out of your garden hose rather than use it for something illegal such as watering the garden.We have water restrictions at times

* You're liable to burst out laughing whenever you hear of Americans "rooting" for something. Rooting is the same as bonking and shagging

* You understand that the phrase 'a group of women wearing black thongs' refers to footwear and may be less alluring than it sounds. Thongs are rubber footwear, I think you call them flip flops

* You pronounce Melbourne as 'Mel-bin'. We often hear Americans refer to it as Mel Born. We just pretty much pronounce it Melbun or Melbin

* You believe the 'L' in the word ' Australia ' is optional.That's an accent thing. Try to say AUSTRAYA

* You can translate: 'Dazza and Shazza played Acca Dacca on the way to Maccas.' Darren and Sharonplayed AC/DC on the way to McDonalds

* You believe it makes perfect sense for a nation to decorate its highways with large fibreglass bananas, prawns and sheep. We tend to have large landmarks scattered accross the country relating to the local industries. eg Pineapple or banana farming etc

* You call your best friend 'a total bastard' but someone you really, truly despise is just 'a bit of a bastard'.It's just that way    :shruggy:

* You think 'Woolloomooloo' is a perfectly reasonable name for a place. Yep that and Wangaratta, Wooloongong, Wooloongabba and Wagga Wagga are some interesting place names, probably of aboriginal decent

* You're secretly proud of our killer wildlife.We have some of the deadliest critters in the world here. Cobra, rattlesnakes and scorpions? Meh, they're just like kittens to us

* You believe it makes sense for a country to have a $1 coin that's twice as big as its $2 coin. Sad but true. What were they thinking?

* You believe that cooked-down axle grease makes a good breakfast spread. You've also squeezed it through Vita Wheats to make little Vegemite worms.Ya just gotta try Vegemite to see what the fuss is all about

* You believe all famous Kiwis are actually Australian, until they stuff up, at which point they again become Kiwis.Refer Russell Crowe

* You know that certain words must, by law, be shouted out during any rendition of the Angels' song 'Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again' No way, get fu****, f**k off
And "Living next door to Alice ".ALICE, ALICE, WHO THE FU** IS alICE?

* You wear ugg boots outside the house.And their point is?

* You believe that the more you shorten someone's name the more you like them.True. That's all

* Whatever your linguistic skills, you find yourself able to order takeaway fluently in every Asian language.Multiculturalism is alive and well in the burbs

* You understand that 'excuse me' can sound rude,
While 'scuse me' is always polite. It's true

* You know what it's like to swallow a fly, on occasion via your nose.Every freaking summer millions of flies just appear the little wankers

* You know it's not summer until the steering wheel is too hot to handle and a seat belt buckle becomes a pretty good branding iron. 45 in the shade some days... and thats degrees C!!!

* Your biggest family argument over the summer concerned the rules for beach cricket.What can I say, it's the "other" national sport

* You still think of Kylie as 'that girl off Neighbours'.Well she is isn't she?

* When working on a bar, you understand male customers will feel the need to offer an excuse whenever they order low-alcohol beer.

-o: arvo, combo, garbo, kero, lezzo, metho, milko, muso, rego, servo, smoko, speedo, righto, goodo etc.No explaination required here

* You know that there is a universal place called "woop woop" located in the middle of nowhere...no matter where you actually are.Out in the middle of nowhere  or just somewhere where you aren't close to is called woop woop. Sometimes referred to as the other side of the black stump as well

* You know that none of us actually drink Fosters beer, because it tastes like shit. But we let the world think we do. Because we can. Seriously we don't drink that sh1t

* You have some time in your life slept with Aeroguard on in the summer. Maybe even as perfume. Aerogard = fly repellant spray used on your person

* You've only ever used the words - tops, ripper, sick, mad, rad, sweet
- to mean good. And then you place 'bloody' in front of it when you REALLY mean it.

* You know that the barbecue is a political arena; the person holding the tongs is always the boss and usually a man.
And the women make the Salad.But that's true the world over right?

* You say 'no worries' quite often, whether you realise it or not.Guilty of that myself

* You understand what no wucking furries means. I'm sure you'll understand this one right?

* You've drank your tea/coffee/milo through a Tim Tam. Tastes good

* You own a Bond's chesty. In several different colours.Work vest/singlet

* You know that roo meat tastes pretty good, But not as good as barra. Or a meat pie. Nothing like  a meat pie on a cold day at the footy, smothered with tomato sauce too. And barra is barramundi, one of the best fish in the world

* You know that some people pronounce
Australia like "Straya" and that's ok.
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: twodko on August 28, 2011, 07:15:40 PM
Trying to explain geo/expressions that span possibly hundreds of years on the forum would be quite a task. No worries  :icon_smile_big:
Straya's only 200 years old so all this has come about in recent times.
Gotta love a '69

One thing I noticed about Australians is they always pronounce an "R" at the beginning of a word, sometimes when it's in the middle, and never when it's at the end - somehow it magically transforms into an "A"

twodko

Thanks Doc! I think slang and/or expressions from around the globe are fascinating.