News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

B5 Blue.....round 2 !!!

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, August 30, 2011, 11:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 OUR/TEA

Well,I saved this thread until the car was completed to do it a one shot deal for all to see  from start to finish with no waiting.
Basically,I have owned this car for 13 years,drove it for two,then pulled it apart to do the resto.It is a 69 R/T B5 blue,B7 interior,white top,white stripe,auto,six way seat,PDB,rear defrost,rocker moldings,tinted glass.Has 74k orig miles on body,orig motor long gone.It is an all orig sheetmetal car with just some patches I had to do on the lower rear quarters,and small pieces just in front of the rear wheels,and back window channel repair.Still has its orig hood,fenders,doors,trunk lid,floors,rear valance and corners,and trunk floor.Can't beleive it was a PA car being this clean.
Took it apart in 2001,did all the bodywork,then had to stop to build my addition on my house,also while doing a couple body/paint restos inbetween for people at the same time,so the car sat for a good portion of the 2000's.
Fast forward to 06 ,got it ready,jambed,and painted,and spent a ton of time sanding and buffing it,and then only to have some people mention that it looked kinda light and silvery for B5 Blue,NTM, I was kinda thinking it to after posting a pic here and have someone respond if it was B3 or B5.WTF !!!! Now the more I starred at it,I knew it was not right.B5 can be a very tricky color as to how it is expected to look.Dammit,I cannot have that on my car,so it was to be completely repainted,engine bay,under sides of hood,trunk,jambs,etc.Wow,really looking forward to this!!!!!! So,the car sat again while I did RTSE's 3x9 Charger,and started on a friends AAR Cuda.
  Then fast forward again to Jan 08 when I landed my dream Charger,a factory 3x9 R/T SE.So then I decided I did not want 2 Chargers and mentioned to a friend that I would be selling it after I finish it, he expressed interest,told me to come up with a number,hands were shaken, and now the car would have a new home after it was re-done .Yeah,you got it,I repainted the whole entire again car just to sell it!!!
For this"round two"of the car,I also pulled off the ,what was new in 98,vinyl top as to have no future problems,and would be putting on a new one for him.
So this is where it started again,last October 2010,sanded it all down again,rejambed everything,back up to my good friends shop to use his booth,and paint the car again.Back home and let the sanding and buffing start again,so I started in   Nov doing that,and basically started to go ,assemble whole car,get it running,and  finish the whole car to get it done by this summer.
Here we are,car is basically done,still needs alignment,Clean it one last time,and off it will be going to its new owner.
My first set of pics show from 2006 bodywork,and first paint job/sanded buffed,then Oct 2010 sanded down again and repainted ,and  then on with the assembly.

Enjoy,I did'nt !!!LOL

69 OUR/TEA

First time....

69 OUR/TEA

more...in booth,after sanding and bufffing first paint job.

69 OUR/TEA

Late Oct 2010,sanded down,going to booth again....etc

69 OUR/TEA

After being home and sanded and buffed,put on new vinyl top,restored heater box.

69 OUR/TEA

The eng assembled,painted with correct Roger Gibson 69 440 delstar enamel,no hardener,detailed.

69 OUR/TEA

Now the interior,starting with a headliner from  NOS material from SMS in Oregon.New carpet,package tray,rear seat,armrest bases,sill plates,door panels.Fronts were new from 08,wheel is a driver simulator from few years back,dash frame I glassbeaded and painted with a custom mix I made to duplicate the fast color,grain on the dash and steering column.Gauges were all done,calibrated,silk screened,new bezels.Dash pads,door cushions,arm rest bases,console,apillar trim, etc,I made a PPG Specialties die to get perfectly right on that B7 color as original,awesome stuff!!!!

69 OUR/TEA

more.....

69 OUR/TEA

I dropped the engine in from the top on its own,and then put the tranny in from the bottom side up.Another very good friend of mine who knows trannys unbeleivably well,built the trans for me,did a great job!!! Thanks Al

69 OUR/TEA

Don't need to show the grill assembly and install,did that in another thread.The bottom of this car is a fact undercoating car,and was in perfect shape,with none of it being torn off,and with the car not ever needing floor pan or trunk work,just needed a cleaning and going over with a fesh coat of very light undercoating as to not build it up anymore,and make it look black under there again.I agree,there is nothing like painted bottoms on Mopars,but this was original,and now looks as the day it was built.I did however ,strip,paint,detail the rear,driveshaft,leaf springs,and new front suspension.Of course new fuel,brake lines.Rebuilt calipers,and booster,new master cyl.Also new gas tank left natural.

69 OUR/TEA

Now for the outside.....new AMD windshield,rocker moldings,BE/A tailight bezels,Gas cap,rechromed bumpers,new magnums,polished all orig trim,antenna,restored grill using an NOS center section.,new parking light lenses,etc.

69 OUR/TEA

more....

69 OUR/TEA

last ones  for now....

FrnkNsteen

What did you use to redo your heater box?? It looks great!!
1969 Charger SE (Just starting the restoration)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Vainglory, Esq.

Well that's just beautiful.  Congratulations.  Have a cold one; you've earned it. :cheers:

Brock Samson

::) :o  Fantastic!! I remember the "mint chip" Charger and this is light years' away from that. sweet as it was...  :P   :2thumbs:  :drool5: what was the build date on this one?..
                                                                                     :popcrn:

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: FrnkNsteen on August 30, 2011, 12:47:05 PM
What did you use to redo your heater box?? It looks great!!

Bought the seal/foam resto kit,dissassembled,glass beaded all the metal parts,etch primed then satin black paint.The actual fiberglass  box I cleaned with simple green real good,scrubbed with a brush,repeatedly.Then used laquer clear right on it.You'd be amazed at the difference from before you put it on,just looks a dullish grey color,then when you spray on the clear,it brings it out ot what you see.Makes it look brand new.

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 30, 2011, 01:01:26 PM
::) :o  Fantastic!! I remember the "mint chip" Charger and this is light years' away from that. sweet as it was...  :P   :2thumbs:  :drool5: what was the build date on this one?..

March 11th.

b5blue

WOW!!!  :o   You da' man! MORE PICS!  :2thumbs:

moparstuart

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on August 30, 2011, 01:07:07 PM
Quote from: Brock Samson on August 30, 2011, 01:01:26 PM

March 11th.
wow my birthday   :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Bob T

Wow, what a 69. Two lots of Congrats on the finish . What a credit to your hard efforts  :coolgleamA:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

69 OUR/TEA

Eng compartment pics.Still have to get the correct battery though.Gonna start driving on a reg one for now.One more shot of car.

FrnkNsteen

Bought the seal/foam resto kit,dissassembled,glass beaded all the metal parts,etch primed then satin black paint.The actual fiberglass  box I cleaned with simple green real good,scrubbed with a brush,repeatedly.Then used laquer clear right on it.You'd be amazed at the difference from before you put it on,just looks a dullish grey color,then when you spray on the clear,it brings it out ot what you see.Makes it look brand new.
[/quote]

That looks great! I would have never thought to just clean it and laquer it. Great tip!!!
1969 Charger SE (Just starting the restoration)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Johnny SixPack

OMG that car is simply stunning.  :drool5: :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:

Congrats on an amazing result. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

More pix in the sun please.  :D :coolgleamA:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

Ryan

69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA