News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

windshield removal and install

Started by AmadeusCharger500, August 30, 2011, 02:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

I need help on installation for my 73 charger. I removed the window with a guitar string attached to 2 blocks of wood. I'm in the process of cleaning the channel and I see that in addition to the black tar gasket that there is some type of semi clear sealant around the outside perimeter as if it was applied after the glass was installed. 2 questions.
What products do I need for the install and are there installation instructions anywhere?
Thanks,
Heath

RallyeMike

Only the black mastic sealant is used. You can pick it up at any auto glass shop.

When you install, make sure the mastic is evenly placed and used liberal pressure on the glass to squish it and get a good seal (but apply pressure evenly). You will be able to see if you got a good seal on the mastic by looking through the glass.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

doctor4766

Actually mastic is only used to seal a rubber type setup (assuming you're referring to butyl mastic)
Not sure how the 3rd gen front glass is installed but I'm guessing they were originally fitted using butyl tape, which is like a long coil of sticky licorice. (sometimes with a wire running through it that hooks up to 12v and melts the tape for ease of installation)
These days a lot of fitters will use modern polyurethane as a substitute for the butyl tape as it's easier and often seals better.
One word of advice though if you go with urethane, it can get messy if you haven't done it before, so I'd suggest that you get a pro to refit the glass or use butyl tape.
Gotta love a '69

AmadeusCharger500

Well that's always the issue. I prefer doing things myself usually but will concede when I know I'm over my head. I have a glass guy that I used to trust but he screwed up my friends 64 Impala so bad and treated him like dirt I feel like I don't have anybody to go to.
I'm not at the install point yet but I want to be thinking ahead. I do have a question about cleaning and prepping the window channel.
I want to make sure this is the correct assumption. Clean the channel of every particle of the old tape and rust, get clean metal and repair the small holes. Paint it the same time as the roof and body with base/clear.