News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Still having problems

Started by Rolling_Thunder, January 15, 2006, 06:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Alright...   Timing is set at a stock TDC on my 383....    stock Resto cam from mopar....     Backfiring still on acceleration....   adjusted the carb every which way and looked at the spark plugs and it looks like it is running rich...    so i ask if anyone can help me because quite frankly I am getting pissed off.  It runs great when it is not under load...  but then the car is moving it is an entirely different story...    any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....     
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

RD

do you have electronic or points?  what kind of carb are you running?  "b" engines love being advanced like 36-38 degrees.  did you clean up the spark plugs before putting them back in? regap? file flat?
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Chryco Psycho

Rolling_Thunder

new set of plug wires...    plugs gapped and cleaned....     electronic ignition....     edelbrock 750....   Cam timing is at TDC as is stock settings....      camshaft is mopar "resto" cam...    running a MP distributor.....     

RD

if your missing at top it could be because you are:

• too far advanced
  • too retarded (sounds bad, but not a personal shot I assure you hehe :D :D )
  • ECU is bad or not grounded properly
  • Coil is weak

Things I would do first:

Check the ground on the ECU to the firewall to make sure its clean and without corrosion.

Make sure the ECU wiring is connected properly.

Buy a el' cheapo ECU and replace your current one temporarily (or permanently) to see if that cures the problem.

I would ohm test each ignition wire to make sure they test the same.

I would buy another coil and swap yours out to see if there is a difference (you will always need a spare anyways).

Tuning your carb:

with your car running at idle, go ahead and adjust your two idle/mixture screws by turning them (one at a time) clockwise until you hear/see the engine about to stall and die, then turning the idle/mixture screw counter-clockwise 1/4 turn.  Do this for both screws.  You can turn it 3/8ths of a turn to rich'in it up a tad if you run high rpm's or just to make sure you do not lean out.  The only true way to make sure you have a proper fuel/air mixture is to attach O2 sensors and go from there, but this will be approximate.  You can then adjust them later on after your first 50 miles.  I would pull #1 spark plug to see how it looks.  If it is carbonized, lean out the mixture, if it is looking burnt, richin' it a tad (tad = 1/8th of a turn).

hope this helps.  and if anyone knows the wiser, please chime in, even if it is to correct me on something.  Lord knows I do not know it all by far.

67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Rolling_Thunder

thanks alot guys....     Frustrating to say the least....     tomarrow I am tearing the ignition apart and re grounding the modual, "borrowing" a coil to test it, and playing with the carb yet again....    The timing is around where it should be...    so...   i doubt thats the problem...    I will give you all updates tomarrow.

original72

also you might look into the 5 and 7 plug wires causing inductance firing.... if they are run parallel then one can pick up enough power thru inductance to cause both to fire.... try running the 7 wire around the back of the engine and see if it helps...

79JON

I was gonna say,  check the coil.    And make sure your plug wires aren't cross firing due to being tangled together.   Hopefully you have those plug wire spacers to keep them seperated.

greenrt_se

coil. I was a same problem 2 years ago,when motor runnin everything is ok,release the cluth, then  :rotz:
I chance the coil and everything was ok again

Rolling_Thunder

Well i just regrounded the orange box, traced all the wiring, and replaced the coil...     still does it...    any more suggestions ?

rt green

make dam sure you have the cam-oil pump gear correct. i had this happen to me once. same symtoms.
third string oil changer

Runner

check your alernator voltage.  and also check your firewall conectors for corotion. ive been down this road.  mine was an alterator going south.  try it with the headlights on and headlights off and see if the rpm that it happens at changes.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Rolling_Thunder

alrighty...    thanks for the suggestions guys...   I'll redo the timing tomarrow...     get it to TDC and the gear points to #1 correct ?

BigBlackDodge

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 16, 2006, 09:38:05 PM
alrighty...    thanks for the suggestions guys...   I'll redo the timing tomarrow...     get it to TDC and the gear points to #1 correct ?

Correct....on the compression cycle.

Is it possible that timing marks on the crank and the cam are off by one tooth? I know you can't see them now with the motor closed up but I wonder if there's a way to check if the #1 cylinder is at it's peak when the mark on the crank is at zero??

BBD

Rolling_Thunder

well it would be that the balancer ring slipped or this or that...   tomarrow im going to get it to TDC and reset the oil pump gear and go from there...   

firefighter3931

RT, pull a plug and ground it to the engine. Crank it over and have a look at the spark. Is it bright blue or dull orange ? Dull orange/yellow means the spark is weak. If the spark is blue then adjust the timing with a vacuum guage. Advance the timing to the maximum vacuum reading then lock the distributor down and take it for a spin. Report back.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

well...    today i reset the oil pump drive gear and now it wont start...      no click, nothing...      turns out my starter magically worked itself loose so...   gotta tighten that thing up - then maybe i can run it some...        Tomarrow is looking really fun...   

dayclona

The symptoms you have, sound like you have no vacumm advance?, if you 've removed the rotor, and pulled too hard removeing it, sometimes the advance pin, which is under the plate that holds the point(s)/ transducer, "drops out" giving you the problems you mentioned!,.......simple test , remove the cap, remove the vacumm hose from the carb, suck the hose end hard, while looking at the above mentioned plate , if no movement , advancement,.................bingo investigate................................next up did you replace PVC valve, if so don't assume its OK, plug hose end , test drive?.............................my two cents, hope it helps!

Mike G.

max

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 16, 2006, 05:16:05 PM
Well i just regrounded the orange box, traced all the wiring, and replaced the coil...     still does it...    any more suggestions ?

get another ecu, the MP orange boxes had trouble from the factory. i have heard of this problem on other boards and it seems for some reason the boxes were bad from the factory and they would do what you are experiancing.
if that really suprises anyone :rotz:

btw i ran an extra ground wire from my ecu bolt to the block to be sure i got a good enough ground.

Rolling_Thunder

I am not running a PCV valve - just an oil cap and breathers....       i pull the vaccume hose at idle and the timing changes so i assume that the vaccume advance is working in the distributor....       I ran another wire to ground the orange box as well...      is there an definate way to know it is the orange box ?

Chryco Psycho

if the timing changes at idle you have the vacuum hooked to manifold vacuum NOT ported vacuum where it should be , you  should have no advance at idle & it should increase with rpm , where it si hooked now it will drop with RPM & retard timing as rpm increases

Rolling_Thunder

:o  So would that be the problem ?   where is there a "ported vacume" fitting ? on my edelbrock there are three ports...   one large on in the center and two smaller ones on either side...    i have the advance hooked up to the driver's side small one.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on January 18, 2006, 01:25:05 PM
:o  So would that be the problem ? 

Yep ! I mistakenly assumed you had the vacuum advance disconnected. I hate those vac cans on performance engines....nothing but problems. I allways disconnect them and tune the advance curve with lots of base timing and a quick curve.  ;D

If you're using ported vacuum then the timing is retarded as soon as the vacuum drops. If you must use it, set the base timing with the vac advance disconnected to ~15* @ idle and try that out. The ported outlet will have no idle vacuum....put your vac guage on the 3 nipples and isolate the one that reads zero at idle....that is the port you should be using.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Rolling_Thunder

figures...      thanks for the help guys....    now only if the damn thing will start....     if this solves the problem im going to kick myself in the ass VERY hard....      :icon_smile_dissapprove:

grouseman

I was going to delicately ask the same question: are you disconnecting the vacuum advance when you set the timing? 

grouseman