News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Honda motorcycle vs. VW -- No one wins

Started by bull, January 16, 2006, 02:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

The motorcycle rider was traveling at such a "very high speed", his reaction time was not sufficient enough to avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/h (155mph) before the bike hit the slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time (once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes. The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them. The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license. At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate that no actions were taken.

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/articles%20and%20topics/crash%20causation/speed_swedish-motorcycle-crash_2005.htm

Telvis

I have seen quite a few bad collisions. Holy crap that had to hurt!

Charger_Croatia

:o

And someone said that car is more safe than a bike!? In this istuation......Well said bull
'73 Charger with 400 (under restore)
2018 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid AWD Blue Sport

greenpigs

It's a shame when some idiot takes out an innocent person(s).
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Charger_Fan

QuoteThe sign above the display also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

That sums it up right there. Same thing when some kids get behind the wheel of a car. :rotz:
And yes, it does suck that the idiot took out two innocent people in the process.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Mopar440+6

I love riding motorcycles, fast ones especially but something like that reminds me all over again why I hold to KEEPING SPEED ON THE TRACK!

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 16, 2006, 02:05:08 PMThat sums it up right there. Same thing when some kids get behind the wheel of a car. :rotz:

C_F: I'm not trying to start a war here cause I know that the accident rate is ALOT higher among younger drivers but please don't assume someone is incompetent or less skilled simply because they are a younger driver. I just turned 20 and have only had one accident that was my fault and the only damage done was to a small tree (Bad roads, car fishtailed and I overcorrected. :brickwall:). I believe alot of the fact that I have not had any serious accidents is due to respecting the machine. I also ride motorcycles and one of the biggest things they emphasize in the motorcycle safety course is that you have to respect the power a bike has. I fully believe there should be a required automotive safety course, like the motorcycle course, before one is allowed to get their drivers license. Just my :twocents:
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Mopar440+6 on January 16, 2006, 04:04:01 PM

Quote from: CHARGER_FAN on January 16, 2006, 02:05:08 PMThat sums it up right there. Same thing when some kids get behind the wheel of a car. :rotz:

C_F: I'm not trying to start a war here cause I know that the accident rate is ALOT higher among younger drivers but please don't assume someone is incompetent or less skilled simply because they are a younger driver. I just turned 20 and have only had one accident that was my fault and the only damage done was to a small tree (Bad roads, car fishtailed and I overcorrected. :brickwall:). I believe alot of the fact that I have not had any serious accidents is due to respecting the machine. I also ride motorcycles and one of the biggest things they emphasize in the motorcycle safety course is that you have to respect the power a bike has. I fully believe there should be a required automotive safety course, like the motorcycle course, before one is allowed to get their drivers license. Just my :twocents:
Don't get me wrong here, I was young once too & there were plenty of situations where I acted first & thought about it second, back then. I ride streetbikes bikes too, although I didn't start riding until I was in my 20's...I can easily say that if I had a bike as a teenager, I probably wouldn't be typing this today.

My comment above was meant more as (& I'm assuming here) it was probably a young kid who recently got his lisence & was carried away in the moment...not thinking about the possibilites of "what if someone pulls in front of me".
My comment was meant more like it's a tragic unnecessary loss of life for a few seconds of glee. :'(
I'm certainly not lumping every youngster into the same category, because everyone are definitely not the same...but some have "the need for speed" more than others & some have less common sense about it than others. 

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

derailed

Im sure we all drove like idiots at one point or another when we were young, unfortunatly some people are not as lucky a the rest.

RT DAVE

I can't believe I did some of the things I did when I was younger.   
68 CHARGER RT<br />06 MAGNUM RT<br />02 INTREPID SXT

TruckDriver

Quote from: RT DAVE on January 16, 2006, 05:31:40 PM
I can't believe I did some of the things I did when I was younger.   
:iagree:

No Sh!t :o
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Charger_Fan

Charger4404spd

rare69

makes you want to run right out and buy a really fast street bike too! ???

derailed

Quote from: Charger4404spd on January 16, 2006, 06:08:50 PM
That should hurt VW sales!
We had a dumbass here on a Harley who just left a bar right near my house and went out on RT.9 which is a 4 lane road doing over 100 mph and t boned a full size ford or lincoln, not sure what kind of car but it looked just like that and flipped the car upside down killing 2 girls inside it about 10 years ago

Silver R/T

thats really shitty. One of the reasons I dont get a bike, although you can die in a car getting hit by one too. I think they should get new laws that would prohibit owning a bike till youre like in 30's
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

greenpigs

Quote from: Silver R/T on January 17, 2006, 12:19:56 AM
thats really shitty. One of the reasons I dont get a bike, although you can die in a car getting hit by one too. I think they should get new laws that would prohibit owning a bike till youre like in 30's

Sure, and then prohibit retards from owning 68 Chargers that are silver with a red RT stripe.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

andy74

Quote from: greenpigs on January 17, 2006, 07:09:12 AM

Sure, and then prohibit retards from owning 68 Chargers that are silver with a red RT stripe.
damn green,tell him how you really feel!

Arthu®

Quote from: greenpigs on January 17, 2006, 07:09:12 AM

:smilielol: too funny.
Striving for world domination since 1986

BigBlockSam

QuoteI can't believe I did some of the things I did when I was younger 
:iagree:

i beat the odds in life, i should have been dead several times.  :rotz:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

'CUDA360

I have always been anti-bike.  I think that any logical person can take a look at those vehicles and understand that they are a bad idea. 
In my early days I never knew anybody that died until the guys I knew that drove bikes started dropping like flies..

Volkswagons are a bad idea too 

Charger_Fan

Jon Smith

QuoteVolkswagons are a bad idea too

would a charger have fared much better? they dont have much in the way of side imapct protection, probably less than the volkswagon had
I think youd need a full cage to stand a bike hitting at that speed