News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500 @ Mecum

Started by TheAutoArchaeologist, September 18, 2011, 11:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tan top

:coolgleamA:   thats been up for sale for a few years  !!  fliped from dealer to dealer ?? , remember the radio delete  :scratchchin:  , nice car  :yesnod: :drool5:

good pictures !! thanks for posting Ryan  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: tan top on September 19, 2011, 04:18:21 AM
:coolgleamA:   thats been up for sale for a few years  !!  fliped from dealer to dealer ?? , remember the radio delete  :scratchchin:  , nice car  :yesnod: :drool5:

:rotz: needs a good home, another one on the market quite a while, not unlike the realistate market I suppose.... not many buyers at those prices at this time.  It sure would look good next to mine, but not at that 150-160k price or what ever it is/was.....  One of my favorites with white. :shruggy:

TheAutoArchaeologist

Ah ok, I didn't know this had been "around the block before".

Well then just enjoy some nice Charger 500 pics.

pettybird

It's back here in Ohio again along with the other five car we took that didn't sell.  It certainly deserved more than the $80k it bid to, and that wasn't even a real money offer...

TheAutoArchaeologist

No, the interest in Mopars at the show (the few really nice ones that were there) was little.  I was seriously surprised by the lack of really nice cars.

41husk

I think it is going to get worse before it gets better.  The people who have money to spend on classic cars are not investing now until prices bottom out.  Not sure when that will happen but it aint there yet :Twocents:  This next year is the time for the guys that have always wanted classic cars, I mean car guys not investors, to jump in the game.  I think there will be some bargains out there as the economy gets worse :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nascarxx29

No aero cars. But there was a show I seen last night on Velocity TV 205 channel at the Charottle Auto fair with Peter Klute Donnie Gould And Hyman LTD appraising sellers cars for sale.And a few owners sold there cars for less then they were originally looking to get :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

41husk

:popcrn: yep! More people will be selling for less than they originaly wanted in fear of the bottom dropping out before they can get there price.  that Cale car was a steal of a deal, and I just think there will be more like that in the near future.  Not just mopar, all makes :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Xenon

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on September 19, 2011, 08:40:30 AM
Quote from: tan top on September 19, 2011, 04:18:21 AM
:coolgleamA:   thats been up for sale for a few years  !!  fliped from dealer to dealer ?? , remember the radio delete  :scratchchin:  , nice car  :yesnod: :drool5:

:rotz: needs a good home, another one on the market quite a while, not unlike the realistate market I suppose.... not many buyers at those prices at this time.  It sure would look good next to mine, but not at that 150-160k price or what ever it is/was.....  One of my favorites with white. :shruggy:
At 80 it probably should of sold. Doesn't seem to be much history prior to Julius doing the car. And whats up
with that red stripe?  It is a nice looking car tho...
Just like in late 80's and early 90's.. 'Investors' drove prices up keeping  enthusiasts from affording cars.
Then market went to hell and same investors were trying hard to sell with minimun loss.. Cars  that
were being bought for over 100,, a year or two later going for half that or less.. I said it before and I
will say it again... This ain't 2008/9 any more, folks..  :shruggy:

pettybird

Quote from: Xenon on September 22, 2011, 04:29:26 AM
At 80 it probably should of sold. Doesn't seem to be much history prior to Julius doing the car. And whats up
with that red stripe?  It is a nice looking car tho...
Just like in late 80's and early 90's.. 'Investors' drove prices up keeping  enthusiasts from affording cars.
Then market went to hell and same investors were trying hard to sell with minimun loss.. Cars  that
were being bought for over 100,, a year or two later going for half that or less.. I said it before and I
will say it again... This ain't 2008/9 any more, folks..  :shruggy:

I must have missed the memo that rotisserie restored Hemi 500's are $50,000 cars again.  Gosh, what were we thinking?  Thank GOD there are experts like you around to keep our feet on the ground. 

Even if we keep in mind 'this ain't 2008/9 any more, folks,' that's when hemi 500's went for more than $200,000.

hemi68charger

... And whats up
with that red stripe?...

Am I missing something? It looks perfectly legit to me and an obvious color choice based on the available colors back then.........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on September 22, 2011, 08:00:26 AM
... And whats up
with that red stripe?...

Am I missing something? It looks perfectly legit to me and an obvious color choice based on the available colors back then.........
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   waynes 440 car  white with red interior , red stripe   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

charger_fan_4ever

I'm all for prices coming down. For real car guys that love the car who cares what its worth ? I could only dream of a turn key 440 C500 for 20k.

Only people that would lose out would be the real car guys that bought for big $$. Which would be a minority. Seems like most big dollar cars owned by enthusiasts were snatched up way before the price boom.

Mopurr

Yes, what are you implying about the stripe......it was a factory option in that color.....one of my favorites on white.

If you are questioning the correctness of the color and not something else, perhaps your  :Twocents: should be elsewhere where your knowledge/comment regarding the market value would make more sense, because if you didn't know white/red combo on a an Aero car you don't know the aero cars and that even in a soft market an Aero will still be pulling more $$ than the average muscle car....Which you just classed this one when you implied $50,000 value would have made the $80,000 a grab and go be glad you got it amount.

Xenon

No where did I imply I am an expert..
Worth is determined by what a market will pay.. Obviously at that auction that car was only worth
80$..
Waynes car is gorgeous. And the stripe probably was original to that car. And whoever put it on
looks like they did a pretty god job.. Marker light bezels are stripe color.
However, that hemi C500 did not come with a stripe originally. Hence the V68 on tag.
Does it make the car look better,, he11 yes.. :)  So why not put five spoke wheels on it too..
And lets put in power steering to make it easier to drive.. Afterall,, p/s is not on fender tag..

As a few have commented the market is soft right now and will probably get more so. It is more
a buyers market than a sellers market. The rarer the car the more correct it should be and the
more documentation should be provided.
And again, I think that car is beautiful. I like the color combo, I like how it is optioned, and yes,
the stripe looks good on it. Would I spend 160 on it.. Nope.. And looks like no one else wants to
at this time either.

moparstuart

all 500's are coded stripe delete from the factory so the R/T stripe was not applied  , because they were going to creative to be transformed into 500's  .   :Twocents:  waynes markers where actually white before resto , but his car had wrong stripe on it so who know about the marker why they were white .

Xenon

Quote from: moparstuart on September 22, 2011, 01:25:56 PM
all 500's are coded stripe delete from the factory so the R/T stripe was not applied  , because they were going to creative to be transformed into 500's  .   :Twocents:

Stuart, mebbe so and not to give you a hard time, but THAT car did not ship with a stripe on it.. 

moparstuart

Quote from: Xenon on September 22, 2011, 01:34:36 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on September 22, 2011, 01:25:56 PM
all 500's are coded stripe delete from the factory so the R/T stripe was not applied  , because they were going to creative to be transformed into 500's  .   :Twocents:

Stuart, mebbe so and not to give you a hard time, but THAT car did not ship with a stripe on it.. 
then you must have alot more inside info then we do ?  :shruggy:  day 1 pictures  ? are you the original owner  ?

pettybird

yes, please explain why you know THAT car didn't ship with a stripe.

you know ALL chrysler aero cars are coded as stripe delete, right? 

and you're just on a roll.  duh the market will determine price.  thanks, adam smith.  that said, the 80k bid was FAKE.  mecum's auction wranglers bump the bid on damn near everything to get people interested in the car.  since our reserve was nearly twice that high they didn't think twice about calling out bids.  there was no real money on the car.  I was sitting in the car, driving it across the block.  NO discussion of real money was made, unlike the '66 hemi satellite we also took.

XS29LA47V21

:popcrn:

:P

Consensus remains, If you need a view FWIW we would expect to see some details indicated changes to RTs (assuming original sht metal obviously).   Bondo color seems consistant on my cars, but clearly the applicators of the each varied and one is way more sloppy then the other. 

This white boomshell I think is a rare case, separating itself from the economy slightly by its options and holding it to values above a "quality resto costs" or the lower values where some cars might be perceived at or maybe really going, unless an owner HAS TO make it go away to a shark...... not all sellers have to sell, might consider not using the economy values for some cars/owners. :slap: :Twocents:

69_500

Since people are pointing out the errors in the one poster I'll join in. Its a V88 on the fender tag not a V68. I have only heard of a handful of cars that are known to have been sold new without any stripes on them (as far as the C500's are concerned). And this car is not one of those.

As far as the bezels in my opinion on the overwhelming majority of unrestored cars I have looked at on C500's the bezels are typically body color not stripe color like on other R/T's.

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on September 22, 2011, 05:43:31 PM
Since people are pointing out the errors in the one poster I'll join in. Its a V88 on the fender tag not a V68. I have only heard of a handful of cars that are known to have been sold new without any stripes on them (as far as the C500's are concerned). And this car is not one of those.

As far as the bezels in my opinion on the overwhelming majority of unrestored cars I have looked at on C500's the bezels are typically body color not stripe color like on other R/T's.

yep repro fender tag but the car has the real build sheet.  were side stripes of some sort available in '69?  we have a '70 stripe delete R/T at work and it has V68 also, but you COULD get side stripes on one of those. 

Didn't chrysler send a nastygram to creative RE the body colored bezels?

Mopurr

Thanks Danny, I hadn't had time to look the code up but driving home this evening my mind was saying V88 and I think if you look closely above that that is V88

Thought my mind was messing with me.

hemi68charger

Not sure about the story on the white fender tag, but with the V68 and no crease at all on the tag on the left. We all know the tags were bent up for inspection stampings and then placed flat and secured with a non-painted screw....... I'm left to think something's not right, i.e reproduction tag. I'm sure the car could have been delivered without a stripe from Creative. But, if memory serves me, there isn't a V6* anything in '69, it's a '70 thing........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection