News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

On the topic of tinted windows... Removing tint

Started by CFMopar, January 16, 2006, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

On my 96 xj the previous owner put some gay silver tint that i dont like on the rear windows. Not only is it gay but its hard to see out of. How do I remove it...
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

694spdRT

Quote from: Chuck_Norris(TM) on January 16, 2006, 06:51:41 PM
On my 96 xj the previous owner put some gay silver tint that i dont like on the rear windows. Not only is it gay but its hard to see out of. How do I remove it...

This is not by personal experience but, when we took a car to the tint shop to have some lighter tint installed the guy said he sprays Simple Green on the old stuff and lets it bake in the sun for a while. Like I said...don't really know if it works though.

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Drop Top

The only thing I've found that works for me is a razor blade an 3M's adhesive remover. Apply the adhesive remover onto the tint and let it sit a bit. But don't let it dry. It will soften the tint and then us the razor to remove the tint. You may need to re-wet the tint from time to time wile your scraping it off. Its messy and time consuming.

doctorpimp

Hey TM,
Sorry, I just saw this thread while looking for info for a buddy :icon_smile_big:
I had cheesy "Crappy Tire" purplish tint in my car too.  I used a heat gun to warm the tint up and peeled it off.  After, to remove the residue I got a bottle of tint remover spray (it even comes with a razor blade) from Can Tire ~ I don't remember the name of the product but it's in the tint section.  Spray the stuff on and use the razor blade on a 45* angle to shave away the glue/crap.  After the stickyness is gone (it may take a few sprayings) use a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar on a rag to clean the windows, buff them clean with a lint free rag.
The local tint shop wanted $120 to do this, it took me about 1.5 hrs.  The hardest part was the rear window.
'73 Coupe, 470, Keisler 5spd, 3.55 SG; Petty Blue; Hideaway Headlights.

www.cardomain.com/ride/2119216

andy74

soapy water,and a bunch of new razor blades is how we do it at the dealership-new razors because they will dull down fast,and dull blades will scratch the window-good luck removing the gayness!

The Ghoul

I have good luck with heat gun to peel it off and then pb blaster pennatrating oil on a rag to get the gum off.

CB

been there done that,rasor blade, adhesive remover and lots of elbowgrease (no, not for the gay thing  :icon_smile_kisses: )
1968 Dodge Coronet 500