News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electroluminescence guage 66 charger

Started by 66chargeragain, September 29, 2011, 09:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66chargeragain

I am in the middle of restoring my 66 Charger interior. I am at present working testing guages and Electroluminescence lights. My power supply is ok and putting out 230 volts AC. Note that I have an extra guage cluster. When testing the lights, one at a time, most all of the faces work but only one of the neeles lights properly. most of the needles when power is connected, arc and start to smoke at the bottom of needle where the wire wraps around it. I am wondering if any of you have seen this problem and if you have any suggestions on what the problem might be.     

bobs66440

That is a common failure for these. Mine did the same thing. The needles that smoked are fried and need to be redone. It's a good idea to send the whole unit away to be fixed. Contact the Gauge Doc. He installs a solid state voltage limiter to prevent that from happening again and makes the whole thing like new.  He can get you fixed up and stands behind his work.

http://thegaugedoc.com/

Also, you may want to become a member of this forum. There's a lot of valuable info for 1st gen owners.

http://66-67charger.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

66chargeragain

I have checked the site for 66/67's and there is a lot of helpfull info there. I will most likely have to send unit out as you suggested, but have a lot of time invested now on this cluster and have managed to repair all myself to this point so I will send out as last resort as I enjoy the challange. I did see on a site for early Chrysler Imperial that uses a similar system, they were talking about repairing this problem with a low heat soldring iron and solder. I am guessing corrosion is the problem as they are arcing at bottom of needle and looks like poor connection. I was hoping if they were arcing there may be some way to clean and then solder. Anyone tried this or should I just stop now and send out. Thanks for any suggestions you  may have.

bobs66440

Quote from: 66chargeragain on September 29, 2011, 06:38:03 PM
I have checked the site for 66/67's and there is a lot of helpfull info there. I will most likely have to send unit out as you suggested, but have a lot of time invested now on this cluster and have managed to repair all myself to this point so I will send out as last resort as I enjoy the challange. I did see on a site for early Chrysler Imperial that uses a similar system, they were talking about repairing this problem with a low heat soldring iron and solder. I am guessing corrosion is the problem as they are arcing at bottom of needle and looks like poor connection. I was hoping if they were arcing there may be some way to clean and then solder. Anyone tried this or should I just stop now and send out. Thanks for any suggestions you  may have.
I believe the main problem is that the original voltage limiter in back of the fuel gauge (limits the voltage to 5V to the needles because the nichrome wire is so fine) is a points style and when it fails, it sends much higher voltage to them which in turn fries them. The solid state limiter is more reliable so it lasts longer. Once the insulation is burned off the wire, I think it's junk. Mark Gibson (The Gauge Doc) has the proper nichrome wire, needles, limiters and everything you need if you decide to go that way. In any case, be very careful while working on it because, as you know, there's a lot of voltage running through there and when it hits you, you will know it!!  :o Believe me, I know!  :eek2: Hurts like a mother!!

Also, I think there's supposed to be at least 280V coming out of the power pack to run the lights properly.

A383Wing

Quote from: bobs66440 on September 29, 2011, 08:51:42 PM
Also, I think there's supposed to be at least 280V coming out of the power pack to run the lights properly.

that's about right...I rebuild the power packs here also...voltage will go down when connected to a cluster that lights up correctly...

I have some power packs up here that put out 315v AC when it's by itself...but drop to about 250-275 when connected to a dash cluster

66chargeragain

Thanks for the input. Looks like I will be sending them out for repir.

A383Wing

I got 2 here I just rebuilt & tested....you can email me or send me a PM

Bryan