News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new idea....451 stroker

Started by Bandit72, January 17, 2006, 12:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

ok everyone...after my little rambling about the 413 and trying to decide what i was going to do about pistons, i started thinking that i have a pretty good 400 block behind my garage, and the 413 already has a forged crank that i can use...anyway, what will i need to do to my 400 block to make a  451 stroker, i'm pretty sure i have to bore it over .30 but other than that what will i need to do? What rods do i use, 440 or 400? What are the advantages to this over trying to find a 440 block (nearly impossible around here). And finally where can i get the pistons & rings and such i will need to do this? Thanks everyone
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

Chryco Psycho

use the 440 / 413 rods 6.76 long

rustyst

After reading everything on this board regarding a 451 stroker I decided to have it done to my '73 Charger with  a 400.  The engine was just finished yesterday, it looks great, not yet installed in the car yet.  It ended up being a little pricey, more than I was originally quoted, but I feel that it was done with care and quality parts.

The guy who built it feels I should be between 450-475 hp with stock heads that he ported.  If you interested I can itemize everything he did and the cost.  Good luck with it.

TruckDriver

Quote from: rustyst on January 17, 2006, 04:15:48 PM
The guy who built it feels I should be between 450-475 hp with stock heads that he ported.  If you interested I can itemize everything he did and the cost.

I'd like to see that list as well. Eventually, I plan to stroke out my 400 also. :yesnod:
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Bandit72

Quote from: rustyst on January 17, 2006, 04:15:48 PM
After reading everything on this board regarding a 451 stroker I decided to have it done to my '73 Charger with  a 400.  The engine was just finished yesterday, it looks great, not yet installed in the car yet.  It ended up being a little pricey, more than I was originally quoted, but I feel that it was done with care and quality parts.

The guy who built it feels I should be between 450-475 hp with stock heads that he ported.  If you interested I can itemize everything he did and the cost.  Good luck with it.

did you have him assemble the engine and everything, or just do the machine work?

:2thumbs:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

firefighter3931

Bandit72, The rods and pistons from the 413 can be reused for the 451 build. The rods will need to be reconditioned and bushed for a floating pin. It's also wise to upgrade the rodbolts to ARP for added strength. Diamond, Ross and many others make an off the shelf piston for the 451 lowdeck stroker. The crank will also need to be turned down to fit the 400 block main saddles. It's a simple procedure.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rustyst

I did not do a thing, I dont have the time or knowledge.  Here is a list of items and prices.  Maybe you guys can  tell me if I got hosed.

Ross Pistons                                                                             599.99
H beam rods                                                                            459.99
440 crank(forged) he supplied and cut down                                350.00
moly rings                                                                                165.00
bore & hone block                                                                    140.00
deck block                                                                               105.00
internal balance,rods,pistons, crank
bearings, rings, pin, and clips                                                       275.00
assemble long block                                                                   550.00

pocket port stock heads                                                            140.00
hone block for cylinder/piston                                                     76.00
complete valve job, on two cylinders,
no new seats                                                                          140.00
surface cylinder head to .010 for 2 cylinders only                          96.00
exhaust seat                                                                           77.20
install seat, machine work only                                                   64.00
install guide machine work only                                                  128.00
3/8 guide w/kliner                                                                    62.24
dual valve springs, tumbled and washed                                      135.00
clean cast head, vat,bead blast, wash                                         45.00
vat complete block, heads, rods, crank                                        88.00
cam and lifters                                                                         139.99
high volume oil pump                                                                69.99
cloyes timing set                                                                      85.99
oil pump drive bushing                                                               6.99
file fit ring set                                                                          145.00
final wash all components                                                          85.00
pinfit 2 rods to stock id                                                             96.00
mkpl 1 std                                                                               68.25
8-2320cp rod bearings std                                                         85.99
1453 cam bearings                                                                   24.99
intake bolts                                                                             7.89
brass freeze plugs                                                                     15.99

total of about $4700.00 and I still have to put it back in the car, totally tapped out right now, will be using the thermoquad carb for now, I bought new hedman elite headers for it also.

Hope this helps someone.