News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Paint code from NOS grille - 1969

Started by stripedelete, September 30, 2011, 08:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

I send my grille to Rod at gsrestorations and it turned out great.  I'd love to show all of you the pics, but, UPS didn't like the three piece design so they turned into a four "piecer".  So my center section is back at Rod's. 

To get as close as possible on the paint, I also shipped Rod an NOS bezel.  The NOS bezel had been stored inside, in relative darkness, since purchasing it from the dealer in 1984.  I wanted to post the code, that it might help someone in the future.

I noticed the code references GM.  Do paint scanners simply match it to the closest color or does the second page customize that color?  Either way, you will see from the pics that our efforts were not definitive.  Indoors, or out of direct sunlight, they are a dead-on match.  You can only differentiate the two by the factory clips and overspray.  However, in the direct sunlight, the painted grille (right 2&3, rear 4) has a more silver cast.  NOS is slightly deeper.

Again, I hope this helps someone in the future.   

stripedelete

... and the code

maxwellwedge

I have seen 3 or 4 different shades on NOS grilles/bezels.

I had 9 Old NOs Rallye Wheel center caps all bought at the same time in 1971 and there were 6 different shades of argent on them.

The colors varied from batch to batch and painter to painter. The best bet is to match what you have and call it a day.

The original argents were laquer - Omni is acrylic enamel I believe....no matter - if it matches it matches.

The computer matched a scan to the closest color it had on file....in this case it turned out to be closest to a GM color.

Thanks for the info though - It will help those that don't have a good piece to scan.  :2thumbs:

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 30, 2011, 10:12:04 PM

I had 9 Old NOs Rallye Wheel center caps all bought at the same time in 1971 and there were 6 different shades of argent on them.

The colors varied from batch to batch and painter to painter. The best bet is to match what you have and call it a day.

The original argents were laquer - Omni is acrylic enamel I believe....no matter - if it matches it matches.

The computer matched a scan to the closest color it had on file....in this case it turned out to be closest to a GM color.

Thanks for the info though - It will help those that don't have a good piece to scan.  :2thumbs:

:popcrn:
My buddy and I were discussing this just last night (he is doing the paint-body on one of my cars)  he has an old can of year-ones lacquer argent, if usable still, may not be... is year-ones old lacquer color fairly correct, would you stay away from it for color stand point or do think some other modern coating would be better?  Thanks

bakerhillpins

Quote from: stripedelete on September 30, 2011, 08:50:49 PM
I send my grille to Rod at gsrestorations and it turned out great.  I'd love to show all of you the pics, but, UPS didn't like the three piece design so they turned into a four "piecer".  So my center section is back at Rod's. 

:RantExplode:  That sucks!

Is the paint textured or smooth? My grille has been repainted and it looks like they used a lightly textured paint. Have a few small cracks in it that I will have to deal with too.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

hemi-hampton

In 1969 the original paint code was #DX-8555. With the paint scanner you can supply it with info or no info. LEON.

stripedelete

Quote from: bakerhillpins on October 05, 2011, 07:35:13 PM
Quote from: stripedelete on September 30, 2011, 08:50:49 PM

:RantExplode:  That sucks!

Is the paint textured or smooth? My grille has been repainted and it looks like they used a lightly textured paint. Have a few small cracks in it that I will have to deal with too.

Relatively smooth.  If either has a texture it's very light.   (Not local to the grille right now - I'll check)

I also have a quart of the light argent lacquer (YO).  I didn't try it.  I thought I read it was to light.  

Since I only have 2 out 3 on the NOS grille,  someday I may have to play with the formula for the perfect match.  But I hope not.

The issue with the abive (GM) formula is the "flip".    Inside or no sun I could not tell the difference between the two.  So my question to the paint experts is, "what part of the formula causes/creates the "flip" and how do you reduce it?"

hemi-hampton

The variant you used is Prime. If I was to look up this formula on Computer it may show 6 or more different variations. One of these variations may have a lighter or darker flop. Sometimes there is a clear tint in formula called flop adjustment. A good paint store should be able to help with your problem if they are good at tinting. I'm not a master tinter. Been to PPG paint class's but never took the tinting course. LEON.

P.S. I find it odd your new formula has pearl tints. none of these would of been in the original formula & may be your flop problem.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on October 05, 2011, 05:18:32 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 30, 2011, 10:12:04 PM

Thanks for the info though - It will help those that don't have a good piece to scan.  :2thumbs:

:popcrn:
My buddy and I were discussing this just last night (he is doing the paint-body on one of my cars)  he has an old can of year-ones lacquer argent, if usable still, may not be... is year-ones old lacquer color fairly correct, would you stay away from it for color stand point or do think some other modern coating would be better?  Thanks

Depending on what parts you are painting, Frank Badalson has lacquer Argents still available

XS29LA47V21

Depending on what parts you are painting, Frank Badalson has lacquer Argents still available
[/quote]

Thank you, visited with Frank today, sounds like he has lots of items available, but not for the 69 Charger grill.   

maxwellwedge

Darn.
Chrysler had so many different Argents. I was hoping between the 70 Cuda grill or rocker gill paints, the 70 Rallye wheel cap centers or Shaker paint there would be a match. Great guy to know for resto questions.

UFO

I'm pretty sure that the formula I got from the paint shop was a modified Ford argent.
I know for sure that it is base/clear.Have to top coat it with a semi gloss or flat whichever you feel is right.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: UFO on October 11, 2011, 06:07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that the formula I got from the paint shop was a modified Ford argent.
I know for sure that it is base/clear.Have to top coat it with a semi gloss or flat whichever you feel is right.

Thank you, so based on my tainted view, it would seem traits of texture and lack of gloss used with the old lacques, flat feel "more correct to me".  Still hoping the old can we have is good and color correct (TBD).