News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C Side vent color ?

Started by 440, October 06, 2011, 07:16:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What color are the side A/C vents supposed to be on a 69 car with tan interior?

Black ?

I think they were all black regardless.... Found a post toward the end of the search with pretty much the lowest match percentage, go figure..  ::)

Dino

I believe you are correct, they are black regardless of interior color.  They always match the cluster panel.  When you have an SE without A/C they also are covered in woodgrain like the cluster panel.  I think the vents would look better in tan though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Yeah, that's what I'm debating... I think tan vents would look more natural but the black blending with the cluster/fascia would also break up the tan and ad some contrast...

The place that's doing my dash asked three times if I was sure they were tan and I said yes every time, but now I'm thinking black (after he painted them)... I'm going to get shot if I tell him I goofed and that they should be black  :yesnod:

Dino

Quote from: 440 on October 06, 2011, 09:09:49 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm debating... I think tan vents would look more natural but the black blending with the cluster/fascia would also break up the tan and ad some contrast...

The place that's doing my dash asked three times if I was sure they were tan and I said yes every time, but now I'm thinking black (after he painted them)... I'm going to get shot if I tell him I goofed and that they should be black  :yesnod:

Nothing a quick blast with a spray can can't fix!  :icon_smile_big:

I, and many others I'm sure, would love to see pics of the vents in interior color.

I'll get some pics when done which might be a little while off still. I have yet to assemble the heater box and can't put the frame in till thats done.

I guess it's only 2 pins on each vent to take apart to repaint but its more the fact that he confirmed 3 times tan  :lol: 

I'm a bit torn about the saddle tan interior as the "correct" interior shows the dash quite a bit darker then the rest of the interior, which I think it looks odd as it doesn't match anything else in the interior. I like the darker color but think if it matched the seats, door panels etc it would look better in my opinion...

:shruggy:  We'll see how it comes out 

Dino

I have mixed feelings about the same shade throughout.  The one negative to me is that everything looks spray bombed like the General Lee's.

Having two shades is pretty common in car interiors and is still done today.  I think originally saddle interiors had one shade for dash and upper pads and one for door panels and seats.  Carpet and headliner seem to be not so consistent with shade as there are both dark and ligh available.

I always planned on painting my 69 black and installing a saddle interior but I have to admit the lines show really well with the white paint it's in now.  White with saddle would be nice as well though....

Don't tell the painter you were wrong!

I agree with the all one shade looking spray bombed. I don't mind this contrast that is currently in my car, although not sure if it's too dark to be correct (between upper and lower door panel)

I'm not too keen about dying my brand new BE&A tan upper door pads and dash pad darker though. Currently they are lighter then the pads in the car and match the lower door panels and seats... Also the saddle tan interiors I've seen don't have darker upper door pads, but I think it would tie in the darker tan better if they were darker too. Same with the arm rests...

Maybe I'll ruin his day and have him re-do everything.

Opinions ?

Dino

Man those seats look nice, nothing like saddle!

I would say the most important thing woul dbe for the upper door pads and dash pads to match.  As long as you have that you have endless combinations with the rest of the interior that will work.  I would probably want my uppers to be lighter than what you have but that's just personal taste.  Here's a pic off of Just 6T9 Charger's site and it shows a slight variance between uper and lower, I like that.

As far as arm rests go I would want them to be pretty consistent with the actual door panels.

Those upper pads are slightly lighter then the dash panels. The dash pad is also quite a bit lighter as well and needs to match in my opinion. Every interior you look at is different.

I think I'll go a shade somewhere in between my lower door panel and the upper door panels, so probably one shade darker then the door panel.  

Dino

Quote from: 440 on October 06, 2011, 05:14:18 PM
Those upper pads are slightly lighter then the dash panels. The dash pad is also quite a bit lighter as well and needs to match in my opinion. Every interior you look at is different.

I think I'll go a shade somewhere in between my lower door panel and the upper door panels, so probably one shade darker then the door panel.  

That would be my choice as well.  Keep us posted on your progress.

gtx6970

I pulled 2 untouched a/c vents out yesterday and they look like they are/were/could be the suede finish like the dash frame
but definitly a very flat black at a minimum

That makes me wonder if this vent that came out of the car was original paint? Is this the correct control knob?

Dino

Quote from: 440 on October 08, 2011, 09:03:25 AM
That makes me wonder if this vent that came out of the car was original paint? Is this the correct control knob?

Yes it is.

68blue

It looks just like the ones in my 68.

gtx6970

This an original blue dash frame, but the vent was definitly black, and IMO, the same suede finish as the frame itself.

Dino

Quote from: gtx6970 on October 17, 2011, 07:02:58 AM
This an original blue dash frame, but the vent was definitly black, and IMO, the same suede finish as the frame itself.

I checked every single picture of 2nd gen dashes I have and in every one of them the vents are black.  I don't think there's any doubt that's how they came from the factory.  Still would look fine painted tan though, not authentic but would look pretty decent imo.

Looks the same, Thanks gtx.... Now the knobs on the other hand seem hard to find....

I wonder if R/T specialties has them