News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Inst panel bezels ?

Started by gtx6970, October 07, 2011, 03:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtx6970

Anyone have any feedback on the PG / BEA gauge bezels?

trying to decide on repops versus have the originals redone .and if theres no fit issues I'll call mike up and order a set the 1st of the week

http://www.beaparts.com/images/item_images/141-ACSET.jpg

TIA

I bought the BE&A Bezels, they seem like a nice quality piece but I haven't fit them yet so I couldn't tell you. I bought the set with the radio delete plate but it doesn't match the other two panels. The grain is the same but the delete plate is flat while the other two are satin.

I'm going to try and send the radio bezel back and request a new one. Otherwise the original one out of the car is a better match. It might be worth asking Mike to check that they match before they ship to you just to be sure.

Edit - I checked again and the radio delete plate grain is different as well as the sheen. I took some photos of the miss-match to send to Mike and just waiting on a reply.

Both end pieces match perfectly. Wonder if the other radio bezels are different?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 440 on October 08, 2011, 07:50:06 AM
Edit - I checked again and the radio delete plate grain is different as well as the sheen. I took some photos of the miss-match to send to Mike and just waiting on a reply.

Both end pieces match perfectly. Wonder if the other radio bezels are different?

Dont hold your breath....bet you are the "only one" to complain/notice.....  :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on October 08, 2011, 01:01:15 PM
Dont hold your breath....bet you are the "only one" to complain/notice.....  :rotz:

Chris,
thats my dilema. If they are not right , I'll notice.  regardless if the cars owner will be that critical or not.

I have all the original pieces but the L shaped one over the glove box is missing two of the mounting studs on the bacskide.
And I have a feeling buying  repop versus restore these will be a very similar price level. And if I have to paint the new ones it wil push me towards  redo the originals.

For a $90 piece you'd expect it to match. Otherwise as Bill says for the price you'd be better off to re-do yours if the repops don't match. I'm not holding my breath on being able to return the center piece, but we'll see - Mike has been pretty good so far. If I can't return it I'll use the bezel that came out of the car, or spray a satin clear over the top of the radio plate (although I wouldn't be very happy having to do that).

I attached these photos for you to make a more informed decision Bill.... No other reason

Charger-Bodie

I got the complete set from Mike Ross. Mine all matched nicely,but I had a standard radio bexal not a delete plate.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

lookin@my68

I'm in the same boat as 440... I purchased a full set of 68 bezels but I haven't fitted them yet...

Bill - what I noticed on mine is that the paint around the chrome parts ( in the 'valleys' around the instruments ) is VERY light - you can actually see the same problem in the pics 440 posted.

I contacted Mike about this and was a little annoyed at his reply...he said it was 'only satin black paint' and to send it back if I want...

I know it's only paint - and I appreciate these parts being on the market but these things aren't cheap. I shouldn't have to paint a new part and it's a hassle sending it back - ( I'm in Australia ) For me they are a very nice repro that could be much better with a little more care taken when they are painted. It would be good if they were also checked before being shipped out!

Having said all that - I think the 68 one is very nice and probably still better than getting an original one redone - especially after I've repainted it.

Hope that helps!

Dino

Seems that with several vendors and parts, the repro's are only so-so while the price is way up there.  I guess they think that you either buy their stuff or spend time and money trying to fix your old stuff, if you have it.  I will gladly restore the pieces I have but sometimes they're too far gone.

This is in line with Legendary's seat buttons popping off the covers, complaining doesn't seem to help and we are expected to just accept it and suck it up.

I'd send those panels back for a refund, you can buy old crappy bezels on ebay or cl and transfer the studs to the ones you have if needed.  There's threads on the board that show how to redo the panels yourself with great results.

It's just how I feel, if you sell new parts for top dollar, make sure they are in top condition.  We put a lot of blood, sweat, tears and hard earned money in our cars, I don't think we need to settle for second best.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

:rotz:

I got the same response as lookin@my68. That it can easily be painted. I am also in Australia so having to send something back is rather annoying.

gtx6970

Decision has been made.
Going to send the originals out and have them done. That way there are no worries of a mismatch in color or grain.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: gtx6970 on October 10, 2011, 12:42:25 PM
Decision has been made.
Going to send the originals out and have them done. That way there are no worries of a mismatch in color or grain.

Atta Boy!

Brock Lee

I have the standard 69 set with AM radio opening. The gloss of the paint is wrong, but otherwise they are okay. I would like to see a reproduction woodgrain bezel set beside originals and see how similar the grain is. The originals had the same silkscreen used on all so you can swap the panels and the grain matches on the real ones. It would be nice to see if they replicated the originals.