News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best aluminum heads for the money

Started by pandamarie, October 12, 2011, 11:26:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pandamarie

Which aluminum heads would give me the most HP for the buck with the least amount of problems bolting them on?
Working with a stock 440 block steel crank 10-1 compression, Cam is a Comp 525 lift on both side forgot the duration around 294 I belive. This is a school project so trying to keep costs as low as possible.

Ghoste

HPP

Probably Edelbrocks.

If all out power is the goal, then there may be better alternatives out there, but in "bang fer the buck" its hard to beat the Ebrocks.

Musicman

Stealth (Overseas Casting) is by far the cheapest, providing good performance at a minimal cost. Uses a straight plug for better header clearances.

Edelbricks (USA Castings) generally flow better than the Stealth out of the box, but cost a bit more. If porting the heads, Eddy & Stealth use the same CNC program, and both have the same potential. These heads use an angled plug which can effect header clearances.

Mopar Performance (Edelbrick), is an Edelbrick which uses a straight plug like the Stealth. May or may not cost a tad more than the stock Eddy.

Chryco Psycho

Super stealth may offer better potential at reasonable cost

tan top

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 12, 2011, 06:58:28 PM

:2thumbs:  was only just looking at them earlier   !!    intake runners look good   :yesnod:

http://store.440source.com/Super-Stealth-Cylinder-Head-Bare/productinfo/200-1127
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Musicman

Oh Yeah, I forgot about them... duh :lol:

The're not a bolt on deal of course, but any head should be set up properly before installation anyway.

Budnicks

Quote from: tan top on October 12, 2011, 07:03:44 PM

:2thumbs:  was only just looking at them earlier   !!    intake runners look good   :yesnod:

http://store.440source.com/Super-Stealth-Cylinder-Head-Bare/productinfo/200-1127
the Super Stealth is a "Great choice for a starting point for a racing head or at least a mainly track car combo, but very expensive or custom valve train components & 0.650" offset rockers & other specialty parts need to be used...   In my opinion,  For all around for quality of parts used in assembly, combustion chamber size & design, thicker deck surfaces, blind heli-coiled bolt holes, equal flow rates, quality valve springs, good valve sizes, better moly retainers & locks,good weight & overall quality of castings & U.S. made & cost effectiveness the ability to use stock components the Edelbrock Performer RPM's, maybe a special bolt/washer kit & adjustable push rods then as an option, maybe the more expensive adjustable rockers & custom length 3/8" pushrod of many different makes & styles to choose from...  I have used Stealths, Indy's, Pro Comps, Mopar Performance, Brodix... I prefer the Edelbrock RPM for a good street performance to mid high HP racing head, there are better heads for more cubes & higher flow or all out racing applications, but if cost & quality is an issue and it's going to be a street/strip combo the Edelbrock is the best bang for the buck, in the long run, you will spend the extra money to make the cheaper heads as good as the middle of the road in cost Edelbrock RPM heads, the only downfall, if you want to call it that, is the better for flame travel, long 3/4" reach 14mm angle plug design, will limit the use of some of the cheaper off the shelf brand X headers, cast iron HP manifolds will clear easily & TTI make some quality headers that will clear the angle plug design no problem, amongst other header companies...   :Twocents:
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Musicman

Quote from: Budnicks on October 12, 2011, 07:39:59 PM
you will spend the extra money to make the cheaper heads as good as the middle of the road in cost Edelbrock RPM heads

Those cheaper heads leave $476 in your pocket... that's a lot of extra money to spend.
Sorry, I just don't see a $476 advantage with the RPM head. :shruggy:
The only reason I would pick the RPM is to support an American Made product, which is important. On a limited budget however, many will choose otherwise.

Budnicks

Opinions vary, especially on this subject it seems, to each there own.. just wanted to make a suggestion & give my reasons why I would chose the Edelbrock heads...

Musicman

I hear ya... I was just looking for details... never to old to listen.  :cheers:

Budnicks

Quote from: Musicman on October 12, 2011, 09:03:10 PM
I hear ya... I was just wondering  :cheers:
You know this subject comes up all the time, the cheaper stuff has it's purpose for sure, but quality & a better overall product for more money is sometime money well spent, instead of trying to skimp & it bites you in the butt every time, at least in my experiences anyway...

Musicman

Well said, and certainly true more often than not.  :2thumbs:
The problem most of the time is determining who has the better overall product.  :scratchchin:
I guess that's what we're here for  :lol:

pandamarie

Thanks for the information guys. I will have to look at both a little harder and see what fits in my budget the best. Do plan on using TTI headers because the ymake it easy to get to all the plugs without getting under the car.

Challenger340

Quote from: Budnicks on October 12, 2011, 07:39:59 PM
Quote from: tan top on October 12, 2011, 07:03:44 PM

the Super Stealth is a "Great choice for a starting point for a racing head or at least a mainly track car combo, but very expensive or custom valve train components & 0.650" offset rockers & other specialty parts need to be used...   In my opinion,  For all around for quality of parts used in assembly, combustion chamber size & design, thicker deck surfaces, blind heli-coiled bolt holes, equal flow rates, quality valve springs, good valve sizes, better moly retainers & locks,good weight & overall quality of castings & U.S. made & cost effectiveness the ability to use stock components the Edelbrock Performer RPM's, maybe a special bolt/washer kit & adjustable push rods then as an option, maybe the more expensive adjustable rockers & custom length 3/8" pushrod of many different makes & styles to choose from...  I have used Stealths, Indy's, Pro Comps, Mopar Performance, Brodix... I prefer the Edelbrock RPM for a good street performance to mid high HP racing head, there are better heads for more cubes & higher flow or all out racing applications, but if cost & quality is an issue and it's going to be a street/strip combo the Edelbrock is the best bang for the buck, in the long run, you will spend the extra money to make the cheaper heads as good as the middle of the road in cost Edelbrock RPM heads, the only downfall, if you want to call it that, is the better for flame travel, long 3/4" reach 14mm angle plug design, will limit the use of some of the cheaper off the shelf brand X headers, cast iron HP manifolds will clear easily & TTI make some quality headers that will clear the angle plug design no problem, amongst other header companies...   :Twocents:

I'm with Budnicks here on the Edelbrock Performer RPM's :2thumbs: VERY Well Spoken !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

GPULLER

I believe that the Mopar "452" aluminum heads would be another good choice.  They are built by Edlebrock (from what I've read), advertised flow is the same as the Eddy's, have standard spark plug locations and wouldn't require the $700 headers from TTI.  They might cost a couple hundred more than the Edelbrocks but the hassle with special shorty plugs and high dollar headers the extra cash doesn't seem so bad.
Not saying anything bad about the TTI headers, everybody that has them has nothing but good things to say about them.  My opinion is there are other headers that do the same for less.

Ghoste

Are they only a couple hundred more though or several hundred?  I really dont know so it isnt a loaded question.

Cooter

You have the Stealth and Super Stealth which uses the crazy rockers..Then, you have the Eddy Perf. RPM, and the VICTOR from Eddy which also uses the Crazy rockers.
Used to be a time when dumping $650.00 in a set of iron heads was the sh*t, not now...When you can get a set of Compelte heads done up with good stuff for about $1100.00.....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Musicman

Quote from: Ghoste on October 14, 2011, 03:57:14 PM
Are they only a couple hundred more though or several hundred?  I really dont know so it isnt a loaded question.

$730 a head for Eddy RPM - $830 a head for the 452 http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/bb.html

$500 a head for Stealth

Brightyellow69rtse

i picked up a set of stealth and i had the machinist check them out. he thought they were very nt rnice. the only thing he found was the valves werent realy lubed much at all. i also upgraded the locks and keepers. im hoping to have the motor completly assembled tomorrow  :2thumbs:

Budnicks

Quote from: Cooter on October 14, 2011, 06:33:45 PM
You have the Stealth and Super Stealth which uses the crazy rockers..Then, you have the Eddy Perf. RPM, and the VICTOR from Eddy which also uses the Crazy rockers.
Used to be a time when dumping $650.00 in a set of iron heads was the sh*t, not now...When you can get a set of Compelte heads done up with good stuff for about $1100.00.....
There is an old saying  :hah:"if you want to make HP you need to concentrate on 3 things 1st Cylinder Heads, 2nd Cylinder Heads & lastly Cylinder heads"... :shruggy: there are many important parts in a performance engine build but the Cylinder heads are probably the make or break point/parts in how much power you can & will be able to make.... :Twocents:

dodgedarren

I bought the complete Edelbrock Performer series top end kit. Bored
.30 on the block and now she putting out 525hp and 500fpt on pump gas.
Runs super smooth. This is the video of my motor on the dyno stand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oNTs8XEZfk

GPULLER

Very nice!  I'd be happy with that hp in my car.

Musicman

Video says 480 HP / 520 TQ  which sounds about right depending on the cam :shruggy:

firefighter3931

Big Fan of the Eddy RPM heads  :yesnod: My old 446 made 535hp with a flat tappet on pump gas. That motor in a light A-body would run easy 10's in the 1/4 mile   :icon_smile_big:

Doug (R2) has a set of ported RPM's on his stock stroke 440 (451ci RB block) and it makes 650hp on the dyno and his 65 B-body runs 10-0's at 131-132 MPH.

Very impressive  :bow:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs