News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Woodgrain steering wheel finish

Started by Dino, October 14, 2011, 10:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

Can someone clarify the finish on the woodgrain steering wheel for a 69 please?

My steering wheel is original and looks to be simply brown paint, you can see the 'grain' clearly enough but it doesn't look nearly as pretty as some I've seen, ie simulated woodgrain.

If someone painted over it they at least did a good job as there doesn't seem to be any paint on the center metal ring or spokes, the back of the steering wheel is evenly coated like the front.

How can I transform it to look like wood?  Sand or chemically strip the finish and then faux finish for desired look?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

gtx6970

Send it to David Tays
He'll take good care of it, and it'll like like brand new when he's done.

http://www.rimblowsteeringwheels.com/

Dino

Quote from: gtx6970 on October 14, 2011, 02:28:13 PM
Send it to David Tays
He'll take good care of it, and it'll like like brand new when he's done.

http://www.rimblowsteeringwheels.com/

I've looked at the work some of these guys do and it's awesome, but I'd love to do it myself.  I restored cars for many years and do some woodworking so I wanted to try this myself.  Problem is, Im not sure how they looked originally.  Worst case scenario I mess it up and then send it off to be redone.  :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

maxwellwedge

They are 100% Genuine Plastic - so don't settle for imitations!

Yours is what they look like when they are well used and worn.

Wood wheels - if not cracked, are worth good money - I would send it to an expert.  :2thumbs:

Brock Lee

I looked into it and found most of these guys etch the grain by hand with a sharp blade. It takes artistic talent and a steady hand, so I opted not to do it.