News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

placing a newer srt8, new fuel injected motor in a 74 charger, can it be done?

Started by bugsydog, February 01, 2012, 01:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugsydog

i'm leaning towards placing a newer mopar motor, trans etc, into my 74 charger and was wondering what is involved? i know it has been brought up here before but cannot find the link. i've heard the dodge truck motors will fit in place due to the motor mounts lining up but not sure.Has anybody done this here, would like to know what is involved. any help would be appreciated.

Rolling_Thunder

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,44274.0.html

This is the link to my 68 build with a 6.1L - the 74 I believe uses different motor mounts (spool vs. biscuit) but i'm sure it can be made to work fairly easy

Autodynamics has done this swap as well and helped a great deal in his 69 -  the only oddball thing about doing a 74 is the different motor mounts.

Here is a link to Motor mounts you will need - everything else is straight forward

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/57heenmoki.html
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

thedodgeboys

I like the car motor better than the truck motor because of the location of the alternator and AC pump.
On the car they are down low and make for a cleaner install, on the truck they mount high, kinda ugly.

It you use a small block transmission it's a straight bolt in install with those tti mounts. If you want AC you'll have to trim just a little off the steering gear mount on the K frame for the compresser to clear.

Budget at least 5k plus the Hemi and if going from a big block you'll need a small block transmission.
That will get you a stock ECM harness, oil pan, headers, mounts, flex plate if its an auto or a fly wheel, a fuel pump and regulator. More for a better tank.

You can always spend more   :icon_smile_big: ...

Keep us posted

bugsydog

that is one nice challenger you have there. I'm still doing my homework, trying to build a budget car but we know how that works.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: bugsydog on February 02, 2012, 07:57:18 PM
that is one nice challenger you have there. I'm still doing my homework, trying to build a budget car but we know how that works.

Thank you,  :coolgleamA:

if your not in a hurry and take your time its not as painful but it ant cheep ether.  good luck let me know if you have any other questions.
Scott

Rolling_Thunder

yep-  right place and right time does have its benefits - I have less than the cost of the crate engine in my swap - just buy parts little by little and you'll be fine  :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

73dodge

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store NOT a government agency!