News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worth it to swap out 750 eddy for a 750 double pumper?

Started by MoparMotel, October 23, 2011, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

MoparMotel

Quote from: Paul G on November 21, 2011, 09:26:15 PM
Make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly.

What exactly do you mean, as in make sure its tight and there is no play in it? it feels fine and seems to not have any play between the carb and pedal. I know when I put this carb on my kickdown did not work and I had to buy an edelbrock bracket that makes the kickdown work correctly. 
1968 Dodge Charger

Paul G

Have someone sit in the car and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. You should see the carb open all the way up. If you can open the throttle a little more by hand, adjust the throttle cable till it has the carb fully open. If the cable is not adjusted right it may not be opening the carb all the way. Not getting full throttle.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

MoparMotel

Quote from: Paul G on November 22, 2011, 08:16:24 AM
Have someone sit in the car and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. You should see the carb open all the way up. If you can open the throttle a little more by hand, adjust the throttle cable till it has the carb fully open. If the cable is not adjusted right it may not be opening the carb all the way. Not getting full throttle.

Ok thank you I'll give that a try.
1968 Dodge Charger

71bee

Quote from: MoparMotel on November 21, 2011, 05:37:36 PM
Got the new metering rods and springs put in Saturday night. I just took the car for a 50 mile drive about an hour ago, Car now does not stumble anymore and runs great!

Just a thought, have you tried the Edelbrock Thunder Seriers carbs? their 800 CFM AVS will really wake your car up. their a better carb than the Performers.  :Twocents:

MoparMotel

Quote from: 71bee on November 22, 2011, 05:22:01 PM
Quote from: MoparMotel on November 21, 2011, 05:37:36 PM
Got the new metering rods and springs put in Saturday night. I just took the car for a 50 mile drive about an hour ago, Car now does not stumble anymore and runs great!

Just a thought, have you tried the Edelbrock Thunder Seriers carbs? their 800 CFM AVS will really wake your car up. their a better carb than the Performers.  :Twocents:

We put this exact carb on a friends 440 and it ran great. 800 Thunder AVS. I wanted a thunder carb before I got my 750 performer but when I looked at them I noticed they only had a 650 and 800. I figured 650 would be too small and 800 too big.
1968 Dodge Charger

71bee

Nope, that 800 CFM Thunder will work beautifully on your 440. it's just a matter of air/fuel mixture. the re-engineered Eddy AVS carbs work much better & create more power than the AFB (Performer Series) carbs. you can manually adjust the secondary air valve (AVS) to open perfectly to your intake vacuum, thus getting rid of any bogging when mashing the throttle.

MoparMotel

Quote from: 71bee on November 23, 2011, 03:16:44 PM
Nope, that 800 CFM Thunder will work beautifully on your 440. it's just a matter of air/fuel mixture. the re-engineered Eddy AVS carbs work much better & create more power than the AFB (Performer Series) carbs. you can manually adjust the secondary air valve (AVS) to open perfectly to your intake vacuum, thus getting rid of any bogging when mashing the throttle.

I have a 383 that's mostly stock with around 10:1 compression, a little head work, and a .270/.470 comp cam.
1968 Dodge Charger

71bee

Quote from: MoparMotel on November 23, 2011, 03:31:44 PM
Quote from: 71bee on November 23, 2011, 03:16:44 PM

I have a 383 that's mostly stock with around 10:1 compression, a little head work, and a .270/.470 comp cam.

Okay, then go with the 650 CFM models. I used their 1806 (electric choke) on my 383 & it worked beautifully. if I wasn't trying to keep my Bee looking "bone stock." I would definitely keep that Thunder on my car. the original Carter AVS #6125S that I use is only off by 25 CFM, so i'm not complaining to bad.

MoparMotel

Quote from: mopar2 on October 28, 2011, 02:07:13 PM
This is what Ron recommended for mine http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67213/  ;) can't wait to get it and try it out  :popcrn:

Now I'm dealing with the hard start issue when warm- probably boiling fuel or some other common edelbrock problem. I am going with this proform that you guys recommended above.

Are there any other parts that I am going to need? I'm using the factory 383hp intake. Will this carb bolt up to my stock intake and also am I going to need any throttle adapters? I know I need to order the dual feed fuel line kit.

Also I'm using a factory style mechanical fuel pump, Will this be ok?

Thanks!
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Well I have had enough of this Edelbrock. I had it running pretty good in December but started the car to take it for a ride yesterday and it was idling low and wanted to die at a stop sign or light. It then started stumbling when accelerating. I thought maybe it needed to be cleaned out so I stepped on it and it started hesitating and could barely make it to 4,000-4,500 rpms. Took the car home and put the cover over it.

Time to order the proform carb in the link above and be done with it.
1968 Dodge Charger

Budnicks

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 15, 2012, 06:58:16 PM
Well I have had enough of this Edelbrock. I had it running pretty good in December but started the car to take it for a ride yesterday and it was idling low and wanted to die at a stop sign or light. It then started stumbling when accelerating. I thought maybe it needed to be cleaned out so I stepped on it and it started hesitating and could barely make it to 4,000-4,500 rpms. Took the car home and put the cover over it.

Time to order the proform carb in the link above and be done with it.
Good choice any of the aftermarket Holley type carbs, Proform, Quickfuel {like the 1 pitchered below is $399, with electric choke & vacuum secondaries, at Mancini Racing}, Holley HP & others are all a good choice
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Cooter

Quick to go after the Carb, yet no mention of the fuel tank is under it and how clean it is. You say mechanical pump? How many GPH is it? Stock? A Proform carb isn't gonna perform any better if you have other issues that occur BEFORE the carb.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mick70RR

I spent months trying to get rid of that 750 Edelbrock off-idle bog and gave up in the end. I did a lot of reading about the problem and tried every fix recommended but none of them got rid of it completely. I bought a Proform and never looked back, you won't be disappointed.
1970 Road Runner, 505 cid, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears
11.98 @ 117 on street treads

Budnicks

Quote from: Cooter on January 16, 2012, 12:58:19 PM
Quick to go after the Carb, yet no mention of the fuel tank is under it and how clean it is. You say mechanical pump? How many GPH is it? Stock? A Proform carb isn't gonna perform any better if you have other issues that occur BEFORE the carb.
That's pretty much why, I recommended too put a cleanable fuel filter before the fuel pump & before the carb so he could see if there is any crap going thru the system... We kind of have to go on the assumption, he's all ready eliminating crap in the system, bad fuel, bad pick up or bad tank etc... The post could be 2 pages long otherwise...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

MoparMotel

Quote from: Mick70RR on January 16, 2012, 01:43:25 PM
I spent months trying to get rid of that 750 Edelbrock off-idle bog and gave up in the end. I did a lot of reading about the problem and tried every fix recommended but none of them got rid of it completely. I bought a Proform and never looked back, you won't be disappointed.

^This is where I am at. I tried the fixes, different metering rods/springs, changes in accelerator pump, ETC. Helped but bog is still there.

The reason I think it is the carb is because I had the factory carter 625 that was rebuilt on this motor for the first year, and the car ran great I just swapped the 750 on there to hopefully get a little more top end power out of it. It ran and started fine with the factory carter, these problems started when I put the eddy 750 on.
1968 Dodge Charger

Dino

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 17, 2012, 02:53:39 PM
Quote from: Mick70RR on January 16, 2012, 01:43:25 PM

^This is where I am at. I tried the fixes, different metering rods/springs, changes in accelerator pump, ETC. Helped but bog is still there.

The reason I think it is the carb is because I had the factory carter 625 that was rebuilt on this motor for the first year, and the car ran great I just swapped the 750 on there to hopefully get a little more top end power out of it. It ran and started fine with the factory carter, these problems started when I put the eddy 750 on.

It's the carb, I have the same issue, although not as bad as you guys it seems.

I'm swapping it for a tq this spring.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

MoparMotel

I found this holley 750 double pumper on craigslist right by me for $150. Thinking about giving this a shot just for the price. If it doesn't work correctly I can always throw a rebuild kit in it or save it as a spare.
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

If i'm running an edelbrock right now what all will I need to make the swap? That carb already has the duel inlet fuel line as pictured, will I need any other parts to swap the carbs out such as kickdown linkage brackets or anything? I have no idea how to tune a Holley carb so I am going to have a friend who has experience tuning them tune it for me.
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Did some research on Holley's Technical Department and they recommended a 670 or 770 street avenger vacuum secondaries for my car. Now for the decision making, go with this 750dp and at least try it, or just save my money and go with the proform or quickfuel that were recommended on here. Hell, maybe try both  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger

terrible one

If it were me, considering the price of the new Proform unit, I'd go with the double pumper off of Craigslist. As long as you know your way around them (or have a book on them) you can't really go wrong. Lots of happy 750 DP users here.

Chryco Psycho

you need the 20-7 throttle linkage adapter & a fuel line for the Holley

MoparMotel

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 18, 2012, 12:00:28 AM
you need the 20-7 throttle linkage adapter & a fuel line for the Holley

Thank you I'll look into ordering one in the morning
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Sorry if I am dragging this on, just trying to learn as much as I can.

the 750DP that I posted above has been sold. After going to a few shops near me I have three carbs that are available. If possible I would appreciate some input on which of the three would be the best and also which one you would chose.
1. Holley 80508S =  #4160 carb 750 vac. secondaries electric choke- $320
2. Holley 670 street avenger- $399
3. Holley 770 Street avenger- $399

Is one of the street avengers worth the $80 over the 4160? If it is would you go with the 670 or 770 on a mild 383 with a cam and stock everything else?

Also this is a picture of my current set up- The metal fuel line was purchased from year one, I'm guessing this can't be used and I am going to have to find a different line from the pump? I'm already planning on getting the dual feed line and 20-7 adapter as Chryco advised above.

Thank you I appreciate the input!
1968 Dodge Charger