News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Worth it to swap out 750 eddy for a 750 double pumper?

Started by MoparMotel, October 23, 2011, 07:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrible one

FWIW, I'm running a 750 VS on my mild 383 and it's great. No hesitation off the line. Here's a vid in action  ;) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWpWcgqX6w . Knowing that and it being the cheapest, that's what I would go for but that's just me.

If you don't have any other plans for the Year One line, I would simply make use of it as much as possible, cut it near the valve cover where it comes up so that you will only have to use a couple inches of rubber line to connect it to the Holley dual feed line.  :Twocents:

MoparMotel

Quote from: terrible one on January 18, 2012, 10:20:06 PM
FWIW, I'm running a 750 VS on my mild 383 and it's great. No hesitation off the line. Here's a vid in action  ;) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAWpWcgqX6w . Knowing that and it being the cheapest, that's what I would go for but that's just me.

If you don't have any other plans for the Year One line, I would simply make use of it as much as possible, cut it near the valve cover where it comes up so that you will only have to use a couple inches of rubber line to connect it to the Holley dual feed line.  :Twocents:

That's the 4160 on your car? Very impressive video! My car has no where near the throttle response yours does in the video. If that's the case I'd be more than happy with the 4160 for $320
1968 Dodge Charger

terrible one

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 18, 2012, 10:24:31 PM

That's the 4160 on your car? Very impressive video! My car has no where near the throttle response yours does in the video. If that's the case I'd be more than happy with the 4160 for $320

Sure is! And thank you.

The carb is actually an older model, no idea for sure because the choke horn has been milled off:

MoparMotel

Quote from: terrible one on January 18, 2012, 10:29:03 PM

Sure is! And thank you.

The carb is actually an older model, no idea for sure because the choke horn has been milled off:

Trying to look at the photo and see how your kick down is set up... did you put a cable operated set up on? I've got the factory metal bar setup
1968 Dodge Charger

terrible one

Quote from: MoparMotel on January 18, 2012, 11:31:54 PM

Sure is! And thank you.

Trying to look at the photo and see how your kick down is set up... did you put a cable operated set up on? I've got the factory metal bar setup

Yes, I went with the BPE cable operated setup because I started with nothing and those factory kickdown setups are expensive!

MoparMotel

Quote from: terrible one on January 18, 2012, 11:40:21 PM
Quote from: MoparMotel on January 18, 2012, 11:31:54 PM

Sure is! And thank you.

Yes, I went with the BPE cable operated setup because I started with nothing and those factory kickdown setups are expensive!

Thanks, I'll check into one of those or see if there is a way to use the factory set up.
1968 Dodge Charger

MoparMotel

Alright guys, I really appreciate the help but have one last question. After much research I decided to go with the 770 Holley Street Avenger.

I went to call and order the carb today and second guessed myself when the holley tech on the phone said that I should be going with the 670 instead of the 770.

I told him 383 big block and the spec sheet for my Comp Cam said the range was 1800-5500rpm and he said the 670 would be a better fit.

Now the question of the hour.... 670 or 770?
1968 Dodge Charger

404NOTFOUND

I took the crappy Edelbrock off my 440 and put a Holley Street Avenger 770 on it. I'm really happy with it. That is on a stockish  engine with too big a cam, Mopar Purple 509 lift, 292 duration. I've made lots of changes since and the throttle response keeps getting better. I tried an 850 double pumper that I had on hand and as expected, it was too much. I bet a 750 dp would be great but, half the people say yes and half say no. A Street Avenger is a very safe route to go.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

MoparMotel

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on February 02, 2012, 10:26:55 AM
I took the crappy Edelbrock off my 440 and put a Holley Street Avenger 770 on it. I'm really happy with it. That is on a stockish  engine with too big a cam, Mopar Purple 509 lift, 292 duration. I've made lots of changes since and the throttle response keeps getting better. I tried an 850 double pumper that I had on hand and as expected, it was too much. I bet a 750 dp would be great but, half the people say yes and half say no. A Street Avenger is a very safe route to go.

Good info... If you have a 440 with a .509 cam and run a 770 then my 383 with a .470 cam out to be just right with a 670
1968 Dodge Charger

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: MoparMotel on February 02, 2012, 12:56:30 PM
Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on February 02, 2012, 10:26:55 AM

Good info... If you have a 440 with a .509 cam and run a 770 then my 383 with a .470 cam out to be just right with a 670

Yup,  I'm kinda thinking that. We all want the biggest carb possible and you might gain a bit more power with a 770 but, if it's too big, the bogging will get old real fast. With the 670, you already know it will work perfectly.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

MoparMotel

Man, I just called the performance shop in town that is going to install and dyno tune the car with the new carb and he said "no don't get the 670 get the 770 it's a big block you can run the 770"
1968 Dodge Charger

Dino

Quote from: MoparMotel on February 02, 2012, 02:13:14 PM
Man, I just called the performance shop in town that is going to install and dyno tune the car with the new carb and he said "no don't get the 670 get the 770 it's a big block you can run the 770"

You can run either but I'd go with the 670.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

charger_fan_4ever

Edelbrock makes a good plow truck carb ;-)

Seat of the pants meter/wallet meter grab a 650 DP and buy a proform main body and voila you have a 750 4150 carb on the cheap. Make sure the throttle shafts are not all loose, or it will run like crap. Put a straight edge on the baseplate to make sure it hasn't been over tightened and warped. The holley 650,700,750 all use the same baseplate, so adding a proform mainbody makes it a 750.

Or if you can find a 700 or 750 4150 cheap just mill the choke tower off and go have fun.

In my small block mustang days I tried a 750 Holley 4160 vacuum secondary and replaced it with a 750 DP. Miles difference on a 425 Hp small block.