News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Here's a weird thing that happened to my tractor engine, tell me how?

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 03, 2011, 07:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

A problem with some small engines is vibration which loosens screws. The 17hp twin cyl Wheel Horse tractor I have loosened the 2 of 4 air cleaner screws and they went down the carb, down the manifold and next to the intake valve.
Here's the odd thing.  I drove the tractor into my shed running normal and smooth.  2 Days later when I went to start it the battery was dead. While leaning on the air cleaner to take the battery off the air cleaner moved.  I took the cover off and found the 2 mounting screws were gone.  OMG, where are they?  I took the intake manifold off and found one sitting at the base of the valve but the other one already down into the valve holding it open.  WTH? How did that happen, I drove the tractor in there and shut it off.  I just don't get it but I am one lucky guy. The screw was not jammed in the valve.  I rotated the the motor and the valve opened more and I pulled it out with a magnet tool. Weird.  Had the engine run 1 second longer I would of damaged it.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

elacruze

Easy enough, it went in with the engine running and the valve was moving too fast to let it fall in between the valve and seat. when you cranked it to start, the slow moving valve allowed the screw to fall in between.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

69 OUR/TEA

New thread alert......" Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his Wheelhorse tractor"  :lol:   :poke:

Steve P.

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: elacruze on November 03, 2011, 09:32:28 PM
Easy enough, it went in with the engine running and the valve was moving too fast to let it fall in between the valve and seat. when you cranked it to start, the slow moving valve allowed the screw to fall in between.
Wow, never thought of that?  Could be.

Amazing. So because my battery died and I leaned on the air cleaner base that moved, while changing the battery, I was one turn key away from the bolt dropping in the cyl and smashing the piston and head. Wow. and to think I almost jump started it but it was a friends and I decided to just pull it out and drop in my other one.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on November 03, 2011, 09:39:45 PM
New thread alert......" Rob's ongoing slow restoration process of his Wheelhorse tractor"  :lol:   :poke:
You're a little late funny boy.  :nana:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,85562.0.html

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Budnicks

"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

1969chargerrtse

That's funny.  I just came in from using safety wire and got on this site and here you guys are saying use safety wire.  O.k great idea.  :lol: