News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help!! paint damage from wind

Started by AKcharger, January 18, 2006, 09:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

We had a wind storm and my car cover tie downs scratched up my hood. The scratches are all over the hood and into the clear coat but luckly didn't get into the base coat.

Now can I have a shop scuff up the clear coat and reshoot the clear as a quick fix? or will everything need to be reshot including the base coat?

Paint is 2 1/2 years old

Thanks

AK

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

AKcharger

Tried to use compund real quck and it didn't do anything...It's possible a skilled person could do somthing, I'll ask about that

Drop Top

I would try a buffing first. If its only in the clear a good detail shop should be able to fix it. This is one of the reasions I use alot of clear and I dont use the cheap stuff at that. It will be cheaper then a repaint. If it needs repanted. Sand with 400 wet by hand and only shoot color where you happen to go through to the paint. It will be obvious where it will be needed. Then just reclear it. Just do the panels that needs it.

68ChargerJMP

Get some 3M 2000 grit  sandpaper, wet it and lightly sand the spot in straight lines. Then try to buff it out using 3M compound..

AKcharger

I gave it a good try, I think it's too deep. The good news is most of the scratches were confined to the passanger side recess in hood and since It's actually one of only like 358 V-21 cars made in 1970 I'll put the stripes back on. I'd shoot 'em but I'm not that experienced with laying the masking tape and would hate to mess it up, I'll price it tomorrow and send pictures when it's done