News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seatbelts

Started by Darkman, November 10, 2011, 05:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

I require some assistance.

I am trying to decide on a seatbelt setup for my 68 Charger. I want to have the retractable "3 Point" seatbelt at the front (like the XV Setup). I have read/seen that some of you guys have used that system. My Charger has the roof mounting point so I won't have to "reinforce" or change anything for that.

The rear is fine as I will be installing 3 "3 point retractable" belts and they can be tucked into the seats nicely and won't be so visible.

My concern is the look of a seatbelt on a 2 door pillarless car when both windows are down. Does it defeat the purpose of having a "pillarless" car then? Does it look "strange"?

Those of you that have this system, could you please post up some photos of the outside of the car with the windows down so I can see what it looks like? Thanks in advance
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Fred

Here you go Darkman, hope this helps.
I'm very happy with mine. They feel great and work well.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

I did have to move the bottom anchor point as pictured to make it easier to climb in the back.
And also to enable the front seat to slide back all the way.

Darkman

charger Downunder

Here ya go Darkman
Klippan brand of belt used.
Front k7654 k7655 Retractor angle 75-90 On pillar plus two drop links K7099.
Rear sides  two k5186 180-180 under parcel shelf centre belt k1637

[/quote]

bobs66440

Nice work on the rear sets! I did a similar set up on a '70 Mustang and it worked great.

Darkman

It just gets better and better!

That is exactly what I was after

Darkman

Well the rear seats are no problems.

It's the front belts that are going to give me greif. I think the 3 point seatbelt (as the Aussie guys have posted) affects the "pillarless" look. So my otions are to:

1 - install racing type seats with harness attached to the floor behind the seat (I was planning on these types of seats anyway)

2 - find seats that have integrated retractable seats that fold forward

3 - modify and engineer an anchor point in the body of the car (and install the setup that Charger Downunder has in the rear)

4 - go with lap belts (which I want to avoid for safety reasons)

Let me know your thoughts

Fred

I don't mind how mine look because the back windows are always up anyway as no one sits in the back.
And with the back windows up they're not nearly so conspicuous. Barely notice them. :Twocents:

318duster

Quote from: charger Downunder on November 11, 2011, 04:06:22 AM
Here ya go Darkman
Klippan brand of belt used.
Front k7654 k7655 Retractor angle 75-90 On pillar plus two drop links K7099.
Rear sides  two k5186 180-180 under parcel shelf centre belt k1637

Great job on the rear shoulder belts. Im looking to do the same for my Duster. Where did you get the under parcel shelf mount belts? Anything I google about Klippan comes up located in Australia. Any help for an American or Canadian dealer is most appreciated.

Thanks

charger Downunder

You must have belt places that produce them to your countries standard. You may have to ring around.
[/quote]

318duster

I hate the look of retractable belts on a Charger. Mine look exactly like ChargerDownunder except my belts are tan, it's not as bad with a black interior though. I thought about swapping the front belts out with black ones just so you don't see a tan belt hanging down.  Stupid Australian belt regulations :RantExplode:

Ghoste

Me too, there's something out of place looking about them.  :shruggy:

Fred

As mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I don't have a problem with it.
It is what it is.
But they work really well and they're extremely comfortable    :Twocents:

JB400

Shoulder straps makes it kinda look like it has a cage in it. :Twocents:

FLG

Quote from: Darkman on November 11, 2011, 07:53:23 PM
Well the rear seats are no problems.

It's the front belts that are going to give me greif. I think the 3 point seatbelt (as the Aussie guys have posted) affects the "pillarless" look. So my otions are to:

1 - install racing type seats with harness attached to the floor behind the seat (I was planning on these types of seats anyway)

2 - find seats that have integrated retractable seats that fold forward

3 - modify and engineer an anchor point in the body of the car (and install the setup that Charger Downunder has in the rear)

4 - go with lap belts (which I want to avoid for safety reasons)

Let me know your thoughts

Either 2 or 3

Option 1 is just as bad as option 4.

For one, you never want to attach safety harnesses at that steep of an angle. In an accident they can now compress your spine and cause even more damage. Secondly, you dont want to use a harness without a roll bar or cage. In a roll over your 3 point system allows you some movement, so if the roof comes down on you your not going to be crushed. Harnesses without a roll bar will keep you in your seat and basically besides your arms and legs all you can move is your head, in a rollover if the roof is coming down on you, youll no longer have anywhere to go.

If your serious about racing seats and a harness, get a roll bar or scrap the idea. And if you are serious go with 6 point, ive got 6 in the race car and have driven with people with 5....your manhood will appreciate the 6 point.

Example

charger Downunder

Quote from: Fred on November 19, 2012, 12:00:43 AM
It is what it is.
But they work really well and they're extremely comfortable    :Twocents:

With the drop link no more belt cutting into the side of your neck and that feels good. :nana:
[/quote]

Fred

Quote from: Fred on November 19, 2012, 12:00:43 AM
It is what it is.
But they work really well and they're extremely comfortable    :Twocents:

Quote from: charger Downunder on November 19, 2012, 04:05:07 PM
With the drop link no more belt cutting into the side of your neck and that feels good. :nana:

:2thumbs: