News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

fender tag

Started by 440 magnum, November 11, 2011, 06:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

440 magnum

I have a 69 charger.  The rear quarter panel was replaced and now im missing the fender tag that illustrates the production info.  Is there any way that it can be duplicated?
"YOLO"   You Only Live Once

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 440 magnum on November 11, 2011, 06:13:36 PM
I have a 69 charger.  The rear quarter panel was replaced and now im missing the fender tag that illustrates the production info.  Is there any way that it can be duplicated?

"Duplicated" implies it will be an exact copy of the original. To that...the answer is no. Can you have a new tag made? Yes but should you is another question.

I'd encourage you to do a search for recent posts on reproduced finder tags to see the cons of having one made.

Here's the story of a guy that spent over $200 for a poorly made tag.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=17779
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 440 magnum on November 11, 2011, 06:13:36 PM
I have a 69 charger.  The rear quarter panel was replaced and now im missing the fender tag that illustrates the production info.  Is there any way that it can be duplicated?

What does replacing the rear quarter panel have to do with the fender tag missing?

Which side quarter? Did they do away with the trunk lip confidential numbers as well?

66FBCharger

Just curious, when Galen Govier makes fender tags, are they correct? Has anyone seen the tags he has had made for customers?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

68X426

Great question. GG wasn't doing them anymore. For years he referred everyone to a different company. I just looked at the site and it says he is reproducing them, as of 10-26-2011.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

John_Kunkel

Here's an outfit that's often mentioned, can't speak for their accuracy:

http://www.datatags.com/
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

ChgrSteve67

data tags made mine and its very good quality.

However you need a picture of your fender tag or a copy of your build sheet for them to make a new one from.

vancamp

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on November 12, 2011, 07:31:23 PM

However you need a picture of your fender tag or a copy of your build sheet for them to make a new one from.
as stated the only way to have a correct tag made is to have all the original codes which are found on the tag itself or on a broadcast sheet without either of those it would be guess work.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on November 12, 2011, 07:31:23 PM

Data tags made mine for a PO. No documentation required and made incorrectly. Pretty hefty price for a worthless piece of metal.

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

I have had good results from Marti (a Ford guy).

Of course - like most companies - you need to spell it out.

http://www.martiauto.com/

Alaskan_TA

Thankfully, fakes are easy to spot.

440 magnum

thank you guys for the responses. I will have to find a way to retrieve the original codes. if not. I guess I will have to just leave it alone and concentrate my efforts and $ on more important parts of the restoration.
"YOLO"   You Only Live Once

66FBCharger

I was wondering this morning whether this would be a worthwhile business opportunity. It would require someone who has a large database of original fendertags and broadcast sheets from various years and assy. plants. With info form the database, the fender tag could be layed out properly and would have all the correct codes and no incorrect codes.
I am curious if any of the marque specific registries would be willing to do this. Govier has the information to do these properly, but from what I have read, he takes a long time and is hard to get a hold of
In my opinion, the service would not be a high volume business. In my mind it would be to replace a commonly missing fender tag, for vehicles that have an untampered VIN, matching body stampings, matching driveline and a correct broadcast sheet. It could be a restrictive set of requirements to eliminate the chance of fake cars/tags.
I have looked at a lot of cars over the years. It is very common that the fender tags are missing. To me, the car looks incomplete without a fender tag under the hood. I am guessing more often than not, the tags were misplaced by the owner or body shop years ago. Having a correct fender tag would complete the car. Judging by posts I have read, there is a demand for correct fender tags.
I am aware that there are many varying opinions about this subject. I feel that, if you have documentation that the car was built a certain way (broadcast sheet) it is not unreasonable to have a CORRECT fender tag made to replace a missing, rotted fender tag.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

maxwellwedge

The only tags that have ever been made for me were a couple on a full blown OE resto where the original was too rusty to restore. In both cases the original Broadcast Sheet existed and the original tag was saved for back-up.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 66FBCharger on November 14, 2011, 08:26:36 AM
I feel that, if you have documentation that the car was built a certain way (broadcast sheet) it is not unreasonable to have a CORRECT fender tag made to replace a missing, rotted fender tag.

In some cases ( pre 66 cars, 69+ Lynch Road cars, Windsor plant cars) it would be almost impossible to replicate an accurate tag.

The question is not whether or not it could be done as a remade tag is not illegal. The question is whether or not it should be done. That is an ethical question.  :Twocents:

1970Moparmann

How much do the repo's cost?   I need to get one for my 68, but I do have a broadcast sheet.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

69CoronetRT

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 15, 2011, 09:40:52 AM
How much do the repo's cost?   I need to get one for my 68, but I do have a broadcast sheet.  :2thumbs:

Here's the story of a guy that spent over $200 for a poorly made tag.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?t=17779