News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Just some reassurance

Started by steves66, January 19, 2006, 07:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steves66

I am having a brain fart here. I am 99.9% sure on how to install pistions, but for some reason I am second guessing myself. Check the picture out and tell me if I'm right. The eyebrows on the pistons go to the top of the bore and the rod tangs go to the outside of the crank, opposite the cam, correct? Again, please excuse my brain fart! ::) I think I am developing OCD! :icon_smile_big:

firefighter3931

Quote from: steves66 on January 19, 2006, 07:37:09 AM
I am having a brain fart here. I am 99.9% sure on how to install pistions, but for some reason I am second guessing myself. Check the picture out and tell me if I'm right. The eyebrows on the pistons go to the top of the bore and the rod tangs go to the outside of the crank, opposite the cam, correct? Again, please excuse my brain fart! ::) I think I am developing OCD! :icon_smile_big:

Oh NO ! A brain fart while you're putting that stroker together  :icon_smile_big: Looking at your pic ; the arrow side of the piston should be at the top of the bore if you're looking at the block from the side. Said another way, it should be towards the cam (or center) of the engine. The large flat area is your quench area that sits underneath the closed portion of the chamber.

The dished side will be underneath the valves. Hope that makes sense...

Ron

Ps. Here's a pic for reference. This is not a dished piston but notice how the tops of the eyebrows face towards the lifter valley.
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

steves66

:smilielol: Ya a brain FART! I knew how they went, but something deeeeeeeeeeeeep down inside kept saying, "your screwing up man". Simple things like the bearing tangs on the rods go toward the outside, and the chamferd side of the rods go toward the crank. I keep second guessing myself for some reason. It has never happened before.

Ghoste

It's called perfectionist.   :pity:

Look at what happened to CudaKen if you are ever unsure about asking.  (not that it would have helped Ken cuz he didn't know the hand he had been dealt but it's a good illustration of human error)

steves66

Ya my wife tells me that I need to take it easy on myself. I have always been told, it's :yesnod: better to ask, the only dumb question is a question not asked!

firefighter3931

That's good advice from Farrah  :yesnod: When in doubt ask....been there done that.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs