News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wilwood and 15 Inch Magnum 500s

Started by RamZCharger, November 17, 2011, 03:29:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RamZCharger

Hello, I have searched topics but cannot seem to find an example of a Wilwood rear disc application on a Strange Dana 60 with 15 inch Magnum 500s. 

I have heard, unfortunately, that Wilwood has a problem with the correct terminology and dimensions for our Mopar rearends.  Snap ring to axle flange distance is 2.4", but technically, the axle flange stand-out is 2.525" when any brakes other than Wilwood are installed.  For some reason, Wilwood Mopar caliper brackets double as wheel bearing retainers and you loose all the factory dimensions because of the missing 1/8" that the drum brake backing plates once occupied

I have been recommended that to go with Wilwoods I would need to use the version for Ford "Torino" housing ends with 2.5" axle flange standout (3.15" bearing, 3/8" holes).  This is a much better design than the one for Mopar housing ends.

Also with regard to wheel fitment, even the 11" Wilwood rear kit will be very cramped.  15" Magnums use the same wheel center as 14" Magnums.  They just have a deep (drop-center) rim shell to make up for the smaller diameter centers.  In other words, they don't fit  any better than 14" wheels.

With all this information I am wondering has anyone fit Wilwood discs under Maggie 500s  :shruggy:?  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

John_Kunkel

Here's what Doctor Diff has to say about the rear Wilwoods:

"Wilwood brakes are not designed correctly.

The Wilwood backing plate becomes captive between the wheel bearing and the axle flange. Because the backing plate now doubles as as a bearing retainer, unless you are running a spool, you must use an 1/8" shim between it and the housing end to avoid excessive preloading of the wheel bearings against the differential thrust block.

Of course, Wilwood does not acknowledge the problem, nor offer a solution to correct it.

I usually recommend installing the wheel bearing retainer that comes with the Green bearing kit as a shim between the housing end and backing plate. You can ditch Wilwood's (outer) bearing retainer, because it does nothing anyway."

If I were going to rear discs I would use a kit that uses the single-piston calipers with the built-in parking brake.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

RamZCharger

Does anyone have experience with Dr. Diff's kit?