News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bristol speedway Aero gathering?

Started by RTDaddy, November 17, 2011, 07:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTDaddy

There apparently a get together of aero cars, (Daytona/Superbirds/500's/Cyclones/Talledega) setting up at Bristol for the spring Cup race, (March 2012).  Sponsored by Food Lion.  Anyone have any connections at Food Lion?  Meet coordinator is apparently making a "strict interpretation" that clones are not allowed.  (Naturally I'd like to take mine).

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

held1823

this thread is sooooo going to get me in trouble, but is that not a justifiable interpretation? i've read that space is limited, which might be the reasoning behind the decision.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Aero426

Tim Lopata of the Forge Musclecar Show is putting on the Bristol event which is for two days.    The speedway part of the event is Friday and it is sponsored by Food Lion.    It will be held in their hospitality area outside the race track.    Track laps are possible but are not guaranteed at this time.    There will be a show on Saturday away from the speedway.  

The plan was to allow space for 75 cars which would be roughly 25 Mopar aero cars,  25 aero Fords and the remainder made up of Grand National and Winston Cup race cars.   Those numbers are not cast in stone.

I saw the wording, but I did not interpret that Tim has excluded clones.  If you want to attend, you should email him for a clarification at copo427@charter.net or call him at 865-380-1996.

Aero426

The actual press release from Tim:

Tim Lopata of the Forge Musclecar Classic has joined forces with FOOD CITY and The Bristol Motor Speedway to present "The Winston Cup Car and Driver Reunion".This will be a gathering of cars and drivers from the bygone era.
The main portion of the gathering will be the Aero cars.Talladegas,Cyclones,Daytonas,Superbirds,Charger 500s and more from the 1969 and 1970 season.Also included in the display will be an edition of pre 69 cars and more modern cars of the 70's 80's and 90's.FOOD CITY will be making contact with drivers from those eras for a personal invite to attend one of the largest displays ever to grace the Bristol Motor Speedway .Mr. Lopata has also contacted Jason Thompson / Talladega Cyclone Reunion and Doug Schellinger from Superbirdclub.com.
We are inviting original cars (assembly line) that have been built for and have graced the Superspeedways and the drivers that drove them.Also any collectors that have original "as raced" cup and Grand National cars.This display is being hosted by Food City in the Food City hospitality area.This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to display at one of the greatest tracks in the country with some of the rarest Speedway cars ever built.Spacing is limited to a first come first serve basis.
We are also trying to get track time for all attendees.Being this is a NASCAR
held /sanctioned event it will be thru their authority if it can be possible.Again this is a static display and hopefully tracktime will be approved but not gauranteed.Check for further updates.Hotel info shortly.There is NO financial compensation for displaying a car.
We are also planning an event for saturday for those spending the weekend in the
east Tennessee area.More info to follow...

Where: Bristol Motor Speedway

When: Tentative friday March 16th 2012
Host: Food City
Info: www.forgemusclecarshow.com

Contact
Tim Lopata
865-380-1996
copo427@charter.net "preferred contact"

RTDaddy

Aero,

I can tell you that he has excluded clones.  Thanks for the response.

Aero426

Quote from: RTDaddy on November 17, 2011, 09:09:11 PM
Aero,

I can tell you that he has excluded clones.  Thanks for the response.

Barry, did he tell you that personally?

moparstuart

Quote from: RTDaddy on November 17, 2011, 09:09:11 PM
Aero,

I can tell you that he has excluded clones.  Thanks for the response.

barry your car being a real R/T and so well done clone , Im surprised at it being excluded   :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

held1823

if there will only be 25 cars at the track, why is it surprising? bristol doesn't have the room to accommodate everyone like indianapolis did.

i imagine the aero-only stipulation applies only to the track display and not the other events taking place that weekend.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

sure looks like an aero car to me 

held1823

Quote from: moparstuart on November 18, 2011, 04:30:19 PM

i agree it looks nice, but looking like an aero car does not make it an aero car. using your logic, my sister can buy a strap-on and look like my brother. does that make her the real thing, too?

(i was right yesterday; this thread is going to get me in trouble)
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on November 18, 2011, 04:41:41 PM

i agree it looks nice, but looking like an aero car does not make it an aero car. using your logic, my sister can buy a strap-on and look like my brother. does that make her the real thing, too?

What did the real race cars start out as ? alot were not ever 69 or 70 models  ?   To me its an aero car no matter what you purists say .  :Twocents:    Most of the look alike race cars or numbered cars out there are build/created  car,  Those are what I would perfer to see in larger numbers at a race on display .  :Twocents:   

pettybird

Not me.  Interspersed, like at Indy, that was cool just to have the numbers.  If I was going out of my way to gather a small group of specialty cars it would certainly matter to me.  If I went to look at 25 Cobras and they were all Factory 5 kits when I thought they'd be real, I'd be mad.  If you were at an SAAC meet and there were 100 fakes and 10 real cars that would be different.

held1823

Quote from: moparstuart on November 18, 2011, 05:19:01 PM
What did the real race cars start out as ? alot were not ever 69 or 70 models  ?   To me its an aero car no matter what you purists say .  :Twocents:    Most of the look alike race cars or numbered cars out there are build/created  car,  Those are what I would perfer to see in larger numbers at a race on display .  :Twocents:

"you purists" is just my opinion, and perhaps no one else's. i feel the stipulation is justified. doug mentioned the numbers are not set in stone, and that there are three separate groups of cars going to the track display; dodge/plymouth, ford/mercury, and GN/cup cars. i would hope the "no clone" language also applies to the race cars, the same as it does to the street cars. if they can only muster 20 genuine race cars, then adjust the numbers accordingly. those are what i would prefer to see on display at a race. the others can be seen at the accompanying car show.

i dont have to agree with your point of view in order to understand it, and you are certainly not alone in your thoughts. ironically, aero cars, at least those of the mopar persuasion, were not built for this race venue to begin with, so a charger r/t would be the more accurate model for bristol. for this event, though, they are gathering  a small group of aero/race cars, and many would prefer to see the real thing, given the chance.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

RTDaddy

If space is indeed limited as is stated, (25 cars each), I can see that.  But I think it should read "no clones."  I was really wanting to get the car there to get some more scribbling on the wing.  Thanks for the kind words Stuart.  Did you make Clevland?  Any troubles with the Birdable?  (Since we seemed to exchange car trouble hosting our two meets. :P).

Mopurr

I can tell you that when we were invited by Tim Lopata to the Forge show,  Brent said one of his first questions was is it real.......he likes authentic cars for his shows.

I am just going to say that no matter how perfect or pretty a clone is you won't have the letters/numbers on the VIN or Code plate to say it is real and yes it does matter, I don't think any of the clone owners can say truthfully that they wouldn't like to be able to say their car is the real deal.

The clones have been welcome to most everything else, but face it there are places that want the authentic cars  :angel:

moparstuart

Quote from: RTDaddy on November 18, 2011, 10:36:15 PM
If space is indeed limited as is stated, (25 cars each), I can see that.  But I think it should read "no clones."  I was really wanting to get the car there to get some more scribbling on the wing.  Thanks for the kind words Stuart.  Did you make Clevland?  Any troubles with the Birdable?  (Since we seemed to exchange car trouble hosting our two meets. :P).

No barry I had some serious health problems just before the cleveland meet and was just getting back on my feet .  I really hate to miss national meets , and especally this one as carol and doug have been great friends to our family over the past 15 years .  Car is running great and we did make it to indy for the brick yard event . That was a blast !!!   :2thumbs:

62 Max

Quote from: held1823 on November 18, 2011, 04:41:41 PM

Best response so far! :cheers:

Highbanked Hauler

Since my 500 doesn't have a stock nose on it  I have to think I wouldn't fit the mold either
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 22, 2011, 11:52:12 AM
Since my 500 doesn't have a stock nose on it  I have to think I wouldn't fit the mold either
I love the look of your race style front   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: your car is awesome  :2thumbs:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: moparstuart on November 22, 2011, 11:57:24 AM
I love the look of your race style front   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: your car is awesome  :2thumbs:

Thanks Stu, sometime we'll have to get yours and mine together for a  Kodak moment. If I hadn't  committed to building the stocker I was thinking I'd do a Charger convert but my loyalty is for working Dodges
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 22, 2011, 12:08:36 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on November 22, 2011, 11:57:24 AM

Thanks Stu, sometime we'll have to get yours and mine together for a  Kodak moment. If I hadn't  committed to building the stocker I was thinking I'd do a Charger convert but my loyalty is for working Dodges
so on your stock car , are you using the race front end off your 500 and putting it back norman ???

Highbanked Hauler

Yep, that was the plan since I wrecked it in 97. Funny thing was I met Barry at a Charger meet in Va. a month or so before the wreck  and he got me some pix of the original 71 Daytona so actually I was planing on building a stocker then just the wreck hastened the idea.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 22, 2011, 12:21:33 PM
Yep, that was the plan since I wrecked it in 97. Funny thing was I met Barry at a Charger meet in Va. a month or so before the wreck  and he got me some pix of the original 71 Daytona so actually I was planing on building a stocker then just the wreck hastened the idea.
so are you going with a specific driver theme ?  or just a generic race theme  ?

Highbanked Hauler

The definite thing is that it will be a C500. Beyond that  I'm not sure because it will be a 440 not a hemi. Kind of thinking of the #99 red and white 500 in the   Super Cars book with new Pearl paint but very little is cut in stone.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

moparstuart

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on November 22, 2011, 01:00:59 PM
  The definite thing is that it will be a C500. Beyond that  I'm not sure because it will be a 440 not a hemi. Kind of thinking of the #99 red and white 500 in the   Super Cars book with new Pearl paint but very little is cut in stone.
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: