News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dual Regulators?

Started by billschroeder5842, December 15, 2011, 06:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

My electrical system (from a previous owner) has the old mechanical regulator and the new style one. They systems seems to be working fine, so I was wondering if there was anything to gain by removing the old one, connecting the wires leaving the new one.

Should I leave well enough alone as getting these mopars to have workgin electrical is Voo Doo science any way!
Texas Proud!

elacruze

Erm, that's a tough call without seeing how they're wired up...I can't actually see how it could be dangerous...but if they're both wired into the same alternator fields (must be I think) the electronic one would input current when the mechanical one cuts out, so perhaps you have nothing more than the constant charging of the electronic unit but the voltage peaks of the mechanical... :scratchchin: :shruggy: I guess I wouldn't do anything if it doesn't burn up and doesn't bother you, except to use a good meter to test the voltage and capacity of the charging system as a whole.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.