News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I broke my "POS Pedal Car" .................

Started by Sledge57, August 03, 2005, 11:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sledge57

Had a vibration issue.
Now I have a custom 2 piece tail shaft housing :icon_smile_sad:
Need a new housing.........
And the name of the guy guy that "balanced" my brand new DS so I can take it and shove it up his ................
and maybe beat him with my tailshaft housing while I'm at it............

If this happens to not be a driveshaft issue (not likely) where would you suggest I begin to look for the cause?
Doug
POS Pedal Car
Best to Date: 11.93 @ 113.41

POS Pedal Car Vid

firefighter3931

Sorry to hear that Doug.  :flame: Assuming the vibration issue started with the driveshaft swap....that is the logical place to start. Check the tailshaft bushing for play....that will also cause vibration. The front yoke should fit snug without any up-down or side-side movement. Where did the tailshaft break ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sledge57

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 04, 2005, 12:00:34 AM
........................ Where did the tailshaft break ?

Ron

On the freeway   :icon_smile_big:

Sorry I gotta joke about it at this point, it broke just behind the trans mount. I checked the bushing before and it was fine.
I think I may have a clue, I think the DS may be a bit too long and bound up. Going to re measure tomorrow, It'd be cheaper if it was a balance issue so that means it HAS to be too long since it's the most expensive thing to correct   :flame:
Doug
POS Pedal Car

POS Pedal Car Vid

firefighter3931

Quote from: Sledge57 on August 04, 2005, 12:07:04 AM

On the freeway   :icon_smile_big:

Lmao...at least you find some humour in this otherwise dismal situation...good for you. :icon_smile_big: As for length, with everything buttoned up and all 4 wheels on the ground, there should be 1in of travel on the front yoke before it bottoms out. If the D/S is too long the situation you described will result. Either way it sucks....good luck fixing it.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Sledge57

Just got off the phone with Dynotech and got a price of $90 to shorten and balance the DS so that's not nearly as painful as I expected. So off to Dynotech I go (after I measure)

Doug
POS Pedal Car

POS Pedal Car Vid

RD

your bushing may have been okay, but was it mounted in the proper position?  if not, fluid transfer will not properly take place and cause alot of friction.  I had a bushing that actually spun and then cracked due to heat, luckily i did not drive on it for long before i rebuilt the tranny.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Ghoste

Wouldn't hurt to check your transmission mount and the bolts holding the trans to the block at this point.  If your shifting hard and if you have broken driveline components, it only takes a minute to check these and you'd be surprised how often they loosen in the mayhem.

Sledge57

Ghoste, that stuffs all new also (mounts etc) and everything is tight. This problem (vibration) started the instant I drove the car after the motor swap and it's definitely speed not rpm related.

I took my DS in today and the guys at Dynotech saw problems before it ever made it to the balancer. Tomorrow (I hope) I get it back and will know if it was the culprit.

On another note 727jim @ moparts hooked me up today and my tranny is all back together waiting for the DS   :icon_smile_big:
Jims a great guy, doesn't know me from shit and went out of his way so I could be back runnin for the wifes family reunion this weekend, they ALL want to go for some "BB Mopar Chiropractic Therapy"   :devil:

Doug
POS Pedal Car

POS Pedal Car Vid

firefighter3931

Excellent news. I met Jim Santo at Norwalk a couple of years ago...a nicer guy you won't meet. He was rebuilding/repairing tranny's in the pits for guys who had broken down.   :thumbs: Rest assured...you are in good hands.

Ron

Ghoste

No, no.  What I'm saying is to recheck them.  Vibration or breakage can loosen that stuff real fast.

Sledge57

Quote from: Ghoste on August 05, 2005, 08:38:05 AM
No, no.   What I'm saying is to recheck them.   Vibration or breakage can loosen that stuff real fast.

I'm good to go now Ghoste, so when are you guys running at Leamington next?
Doug
POS Pedal Car

POS Pedal Car Vid

Ghoste

St. Thomas.  It'll be around the second week of October but I'll give you a firm date shortly.

Sledge57

Quote from: Ghoste on August 09, 2005, 08:01:46 PM
St. Thomas.   It'll be around the second week of October but I'll give you a firm date shortly.

Hehehe yea that's what I said St Thomas  :P

Let me know as long as it ain't October 1st, Mopar day at Milan I might try and make it.

You could always sneak in for Milan ya know........... :icon_smile_big:
Doug
POS Pedal Car

POS Pedal Car Vid

Ghoste

Yeah but I'd break something and then be outta luck for the following weekend.