News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger 500's

Started by 69_500, January 21, 2006, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C500

Quote from: 69_500 on July 26, 2013, 08:55:06 PM
Update on this one. As of today I am up to 275 known Charger 500's.

Beaks down like this now.
90 Hemi cars. With 20 of them being confirmed as 4 speed cars. Only have a confirmation on about 65% of the transmissions on these. Some more I think are 4 speeds but no tag, or trans or sheet to confirm.

185 known 440 powered cars.
28 of these are known to be 4 speed cars. There are 110 of them that I have either fender tag info on or broadcast sheets for. So that still leaves 75 more to figure out.
25 cars are known to be A/C cars.
9 cars are known to be SE cars. Of these 4 are SE cars with A/C.
9 cars are known to be power window cars.
19 cars have the M25 mouldings.
3 cars are known to have cruise control.

That's about it for changes to list. No big changes in amounts for each color.

Thanks for the update  :cheers: . Based on expected survival rates, do you go with 392 produced or the higher Galen number?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Ghoste

Thanks for the update Danny. :2thumbs:

Retread

I believe the 580 1969 Charger 500 figure is accurate.  Chrysler Historical Collection quotes 392, and that is the only number they have, no VIN's, no other info.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Retread on July 30, 2013, 04:43:59 PM
I believe the 580 1969 Charger 500 figure is accurate.  Chrysler Historical Collection quotes 392, and that is the only number they have, no VIN's, no other info.

Catch 22 here...........   CHC says 392 without VIN's and then the person with the 580+ number won't release anything........ Sooooooo, one will never know for sure........ ( unless said individual releases the "Dead Sea Scrolls of C500's"....... But, from a bean-counter point of view, why make more than necessary? It would cost MaMopar extra greenbacks.. At least with the CHC, there's a creditable source...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

And round and round we go again.  :icon_smile_big:  Until the great guru offers up his secret proof I will stick with the only other evidence that has ever been available and say 392.

A383Wing

moparstuart

I am sticking with the 392 number  , personally i think there may be a 580 secret list but i think its a  list that was given to NASCAR
alot of the documents we still have are Race related .  We all know they wanted to get the cars certified to meet homolagation rules .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ws23rt

If the real number is 392. than they would have been short of the mandated number required. It this correct?
So the 580 number would have made the planets move as they should.  :scratchchin:
Or does the required number include the daytonas that followed?

C500

This makes for good reading  :cheers::popcrn:

Aside from everyones own personal thoughts and opinions, based on survival numbers of Daytonas (how many survived I don't know????)- where we have an accurate production number - how many C500's would have rolled out with the current number of 275 accounted for??
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

69_500

I think that there is somewhere around 380 known Daytona's. at work right now so going from memory on that one. But I will say that not all of the 275 Charger 500's mentioned before are still around. There are several that are long gone and others that could only be back on the road with false actions (rebody).
So I would say that proportionally it's probably about the same.
If you basing actual production at 392 that is. The higher number of 584 is plausible but I just do not buy it as of yet. Even with the supposed list of that number the registry he has on these cars only has like 200 that have been accounted for.

A383Wing

story I heard was that Nascar & Chrysler were counting the cars in the back lot or somewhere, then they stopped & took a lunch break. While out to eat, all the cars were moved around so it appeared more cars were there and they began counting again

not sure if this story holds water or not

Bryan

hemi68charger

Quote from: A383Wing on July 31, 2013, 09:10:23 AM
story I heard was that Nascar & Chrysler were counting the cars in the back lot or somewhere, then they stopped & took a lunch break. While out to eat, all the cars were moved around so it appeared more cars were there and they began counting again

not sure if this story holds water or not

Bryan

With that, would it be assumed then all the C500's were still on Creative property? I would have assumed that as cars were built and certified "done", they would be shipped out ASAP......

T
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Ghoste

And not exactly a big place to jam 500 or more cars into.

Aero426

My gut tells me the over 60% survival rate for Daytonas and Superbirds is extraordinarily high compared to other muscle cars.    I attribute this to the weird factor of the wing cars.   

The 500s are more like the Talladegas and Cyclone Spoiler II.  With the Fords, there are known production numbers, and the survival rates trend much, much lower.    I really do not see the 500 as being any different.    So I tend to think the 580 number is likely correct. 

Ghoste

And that could well be the number, I would like it if it turned out to be true.  But conjecture about survival rates and if some cars were run through the check off process twice and so forth is just that, conjecture.  The closest we have to hard evidence is a number officially put forth by Chrysler and a list that allegedly exists with a supposedly higher number.  Until both "official" facts see the light of day I'm going to stay with the lower figure.  (at this point though, I'm not sure if the release of the Warren Commission Report on the Number of 1969 Charger 500's would stop us debating it either :lol:)

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

arrow

Quote from: Aero426 on July 31, 2013, 09:46:45 AM
My gut tells me the over 60% survival rate for Daytonas and Superbirds is extraordinarily high compared to other muscle cars.    I attribute this to the weird factor of the wing cars.   

The 500s are more like the Talladegas and Cyclone Spoiler II.  With the Fords, there are known production numbers, and the survival rates trend much, much lower.    I really do not see the 500 as being any different.    So I tend to think the 580 number is likely correct. 

Along with his 580 number GG has the selling dealer of each 500 too, prove to him you own the 500 and he will send you the dealer information on your car .

moparstuart

Quote from: arrow on July 31, 2013, 11:23:49 AM

Along with his 580 number GG has the selling dealer of each 500 too, prove to him you own the 500 and he will send you the dealer information on your car .
When i first got my 500 in 09 I was told by him the car was a  throw away it was worthless with out a fender tag , broad cast sheet or original drive train .  He never offered up any information to me  .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi68charger

Quote from: moparstuart on July 31, 2013, 11:52:37 AM
When i first got my 500 in 09 I was told by him the car was a  throw away it was worthless with out a fender tag , broad cast sheet or original drive train .  He never offered up any information to me  . 

:smilielol:

Oh the creditability..........
Troy

C500

Quote from: moparstuart on July 31, 2013, 11:52:37 AM
Quote from: arrow on July 31, 2013, 11:23:49 AM

I sent an email to GG requesting info about 3 years ago, adding I was happy to pay for such info on my car. Also asked about production numbers. Still waiting for a reply to that e  ::)

arrow

Its been longer ago than 09 , I got the information for my 500 from him , I sent a copy of the title - dash vin and fender tag pencil rubbing , it took along time to recieve it , but it came.

C500

Quote from: arrow on July 31, 2013, 02:47:20 PM

Its been longer ago than 09 , I got the information for my 500 from him , I sent a copy of the title - dash vin and fender tag pencil rubbing , it took along time to recieve it , but it came.

what info did he provide?

arrow

Ive got the stuff somewhere , havent looked at it for a long time, it wasnt much more than the selling or recieving dealer and his location, I wasnt trying to defend GG, Im well aware hes dropped the ball many times and rightfully POed alot of people, my comment  was made in regard to Dougs post, that 500s looking like a regular Charger as much as they did, there are alot still out there if the 392 number is correct . I dont see how GG could offer up information on 580 with out the vins and selling dealers 

Aero426

By coincidence, I spoke to Diane at Galen's office this afternoon.   After answering her questions,  I asked her about the Charger 500 VIN list.   She later called me back and said she had found the information.    What she described to me was similar to what arrow talks about in the post above.  

I then asked what would be involved for an owner to obtain the information on their particular car.    If you own a '69 Charger 500 and would like to research the name and location of the dealer where it was sold new, you should send an email to her at gts@mhtc.net    You will need to provide her your VIN.   If she has information on your car, she will set you up with Galen for a 30 minute phone consult.  You will probably need to provide some proof of ownership and they will want to verify the fender tag info if you have that.   The cost for the phone consult is $100.

A383Wing

$100 for a 30 minute phone call? And all you get is where the car was sold new?

doesn't seem right to me

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 31, 2013, 09:21:05 AM

With that, would it be assumed then all the C500's were still on Creative property? I would have assumed that as cars were built and certified "done", they would be shipped out ASAP......

T

That's what I heard or read, that all of 'em were on Creative's property and some "official" was counting cars to make sure that the proper amount was made. Like I said, it's been a while since I heard that, again, not sure if it's actually "gospel"