News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So anyone know this white elephant?

Started by WINGIN IT, December 29, 2011, 09:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

No but according to the ad it is only for serious collectors anyway.  If you are planning to have fun you have to look elsewhere.  (I wonder if there is a seriousness quiz you need to pass before they will accept your money??)

maxwellwedge

Seriously      ;)   

Car converted to 4-speed?   

Ghoste

That is a good, and very serious, question.  Thats the kind of hard hitting inquiry that could qualify you.

FJ5WING

I do like White Birds and I LOVE the wheels....not common but soooo cool!  :brickwall: I had a White car in my clutches and didnt buy it a few months before buying the all too common these days Greenie. :-\
wingless now, but still around.

moparstuart

love it   :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:   converted  4 speed would be ok with me  !!!!!     hey dad  i'm not that picky you can buy me this one   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

didn't know he had it for sale...that's Rich Fiore out of Long Island.  He's had the car for about the last 10 years.  It is a nice, solid, clean Hemi car, and I really don't think the change to 4 speed is a huge sin...as far as I remember the original auto trans was long gone anyway.

He also has a yellow 440/4 speed car.  I haven't talked to him in a while so I don't know if he's fishing or wanting to move on.  

FJ5WING

so wheres the line drawn as far as cutting up and parts swapping?

I see the tranny swap in the same line as a HEMI in place of a wedge. the owner did this for his own preferrence and now would be buyers need to evaluate how that impacts them.

6PakBee

Quote from: FJ5WING on December 29, 2011, 11:51:25 AM
so wheres the line drawn as far as cutting up and parts swapping?

I see the tranny swap in the same line as a HEMI in place of a wedge. the owner did this for his own preferrence and now would be buyers need to evaluate how that impacts them.

:iagree:  With all due respect to the owner, it was a rare car.  Now it's something else.  Rarity and originality go hand in hand. You can't start changing items and have it maintain the rarity.  :Twocents:

tan top

:drool5:  nice looking bird :yesnod:  yes can see its no longer original  , but no biggie to change back to a auto !!  not as if its a unrestored  survivor  :Twocents:

heres the pictures before the ad goes  :yesnod:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: FJ5WING on December 29, 2011, 11:51:25 AM
...I see the tranny swap in the same line as a HEMI in place of a wedge.

I would love to do that with my Daytona if I end up not selling.......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

WINGIN IT

Missing front nose rubber piece?  Anything else?
Engine look correct?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: pettybird on December 29, 2011, 10:03:59 AM
didn't know he had it for sale...that's Rich Fiore out of Long Island.  He's had the car for about the last 10 years.  It is a nice, solid, clean Hemi car, and I really don't think the change to 4 speed is a huge sin...as far as I remember the original auto trans was long gone anyway.

He also has a yellow 440/4 speed car.  I haven't talked to him in a while so I don't know if he's fishing or wanting to move on.  

A lot of surgery now required to put it back - which may almost become a full resto - due to the "Snowball" effect. The money he probably wants will be equal to an un-screwed with 4 speed.
Honestly? It would kill it for me Doug.....and I have been buying

pettybird

again, with respect, what surgery?  remove the hump in the floor, butt weld (heh heh...I said butt) a panel in where the shifter went through, and refinish on both sides.  You wouldn't have to touch the paint.  Sell the trans (it's an 18 spline) bell, shifter, console, pedals, etc. and buy the auto setup.  It would be damn near a wash in money even with the trip through the body shop.  It's a non-matching transmission car no matter what's in it.  there are no extra holes in the firewall, no other marks--it's not MY money but i don't have a problem with it.  Sure, deduct for the non matching transmission, but what's that, 10%?

And, comparing an R code automatic car with a four speed in it to a U code car with a Hemi is just silly. 

Davtona

Quote from: pettybird on December 30, 2011, 12:25:46 PM
Sell the trans (it's an 18 spline) bell, shifter, console, pedals, etc. and buy the auto setup.  It would be damn near a wash in money even with the trip through the body shop.  

Just my  :Twocents: here but I don't think selling this stuff will add up to enough to buy a usable Hemi automatic. My experience is they are hard to find and expensive. Putting a standard automatic in an original Hemi car would not be any better than the 4 speed IMHO. On the other hand in relation to what this car is worth versus the cost to do a Hemi auto swap the swap would be a small percentage of the cars value. Nice car though either way. Would love to have it. Once again.  :Twocents:

moparstuart

I say leave the manual in it and be happy  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: looks better and everyone wants a manual anyway 
    so its not correct  its still a hemi bird    :shruggy:

roadrunner440

its sad when a car like this birds are always out of my budget but i can always wish or hope somday

WINGIN IT

Quote from: roadrunner440 on December 30, 2011, 07:13:55 PM
its sad when a car like this birds are always out of my budget but i can always wish or hope somday

Tell me about it... :drool5: :'(

I'd keep it as is and drive the heck out of it...

BigBlockSam

QuoteI say leave the manual in it and be happy  icon_smile_big icon_smile_big icon_smile_big looks better and everyone wants a manual anyway
    so its not correct  its still a hemi bird    shruggy

:yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

roadrunner440

but god there beautiful cars if any one has 1 or 2..... id love to get pics i actulay collect pics of mopars along w resoring mine if any one has nice birds or rr charger or cudas or challengers dusters ect...... id love to get nice pics of them any years work for me u caqn always email to me directly at m16king@netscape.net

dads_69

I love a big white wing car! Dodge or Plymouth, I'd drive the tires off it and buy several more sets as time goes on. It's a material item, in 100 years, it won't matter what's been changed on it.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Rolling_Thunder

automatics are for old men and lazy people....     I wouldnt mind the 4-speed conversion - then again i would use that to get the price a little lower   :smilielol:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on December 31, 2011, 04:04:22 AM
automatics are for old men and lazy people....     I wouldnt mind the 4-speed conversion - then again i would use that to get the price a little lower   :smilielol:

I always viewed automatics were for drag racers who want to win. :drive:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

FJ5WING

DELETED...so as to not get into a pissing match

moparstuart

ronnie sox could sure row those gears and for some reason i think he won a few  :D :D :D

roadrunner440

u can get more hp from a manual than a auto i prefer manual id drag witha manual and win win win :drive:

FJ5WING

pettybird

Quote from: roadrunner440 on December 31, 2011, 10:14:19 AM
u can get more hp from a manual than a auto i prefer manual id drag witha manual and win win win :drive:

this isn't what the road tests found during the muscle car era--Mopars seemed to run about the same regardless of transmission...

The four speed is "cooler" to own.  the automatic is a LOT easier to live with at places like the 'nats where you're often on a two-lane parking lot!

Ghoste

Ronnie Sox won a bunch with a manual, true enough, but in spite of what we all think there are very very very few of us that can shift like he could. 

GTXtreme

he actually has 3 birds right now, ive been in all of them except the blue one he got 2 years ago. they are all nice cars

pettybird

Quote from: GTXtreme on January 04, 2012, 06:03:11 PM

he actually has 3 birds right now, ive been in all of them except the blue one he got 2 years ago. they are all nice cars

That's the non running car and I thought it belonged to his brother Ron...?

GTXtreme

Quote from: pettybird on January 05, 2012, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: GTXtreme on January 04, 2012, 06:03:11 PM

no its his i think it came out of copaige or lindenhurst

That's the non running car and I thought it belonged to his brother Ron...?

pettybird

hmmm...shows how well I keep up!  Ron's car came out of Buffalo or Syracuse, methinks.

roadrunner440

id just love to drive one of these birds just once!!! :drool5:

FJ5WING

Ive never had the opportunity to get my car on one of the tracks but I have had my car over 120 and didnt notice any difference in the ride versus any other car around the same speed. To me driving the Bird is no different than any other B-body. Just have to be more careful pulling up in the garage, the nose isnt a long as you think so Ive found that I was usually too cautious.

pettybird

pettybird

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 08, 2012, 11:58:14 AM
Ive never had the opportunity to get my car on one of the tracks

come to a meet!