News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Triple Black 68 Hemi Charger WIW ?

Started by mopar4ya, December 29, 2011, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4ya

Looking for opinions on a fair market value on this car. It is an original owner 68 Hemi 4 speed Charger with about 25,000 miles. It is about 99% original from top to bottom, except for the engine block, and I have it. ( don't ask lol!)  It is loaded with options, if I  remember correct it has every option you could get but maybe 1 or 2. It is triple black and still wearing its original paint,butt stripe and the vinyl top is still nice. There are no soft spots under the car, some surface rust only.  Whats your thought, high side and low side.

Thanks
  Dan :cheers:

maxwellwedge

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

greenpigs

Them some serious shackle extensions!

If I were to sell it on Evilbay I would have a 65K reserve.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Bob T

Rare piece of history there bud  :drool5:
I reckon greenpigs is in the ballpark
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

68X426

40 low, 70 high (in this market) but ......

The floor of that garage looks like flood residue, I'm guessing that Charger was under water for a while. So in that case, 25 to 35.

:popcrn:

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

StoneCold

Quote from: mopar4ya on December 29, 2011, 09:58:56 PM
except for the engine block, and I have it. ( don't ask lol!)

Ok...what's the story on that? Someone had to ask.. ;)

greenpigs

Looks like a regular ol shed to me, just leaves and stuff that got blown in.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Dans 68

So you have the car, sans original engine block, correct? Is there an engine with it (looks to be sitting a bit high)? How about a vin, fender tag, or build sheet?  :scratchchin: Hmmm?  ;)  Just my dream car is all.....  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mopar4ya

Quote from: 68X426 on December 30, 2011, 01:08:15 AM
40 low, 70 high (in this market) but ......

The floor of that garage looks like flood residue, I'm guessing that Charger was under water for a while. So in that case, 25 to 35.

:popcrn:

The car was never in a flood. The shed it is in had block walls,dirt floors, and open at the rear of the car with just a tarp covering the opening. Not good conditions at all. The car has been there for well over 30 years. I was really surprised how little rust there was. No holes, no thin spots, just surface rust.

mopar4ya

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 30, 2011, 03:01:25 AM
So you have the car, sans original engine block, correct? Is there an engine with it (looks to be sitting a bit high)? How about a vin, fender tag, or build sheet?  :scratchchin: Hmmm?  ;)  Just my dream car is all.....  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan

No, I don't own the car. I have tried many times over the years to buy it. The car might be for sale soon. The owner is in jail, and looks like he will be there for a long time. The fellow over seeing things for him is running out of money to do so.
  The car has a complete running engine in it now with all the original parts except for the block. The original owner liked to run it hard. He blew the engine up a couple of times (not sure what happened) and the fellow doing his work told him to go get a different block. Some years later I bought a Hemi car and the original block from this Charger came with it. I have checked the vin's and they match. I checked the block over and it is fine, just needed bored .030 to clean up the cylinders.

The car has all the tag's, but not sure on a broad cast sheet. I will bet it is there because I don't think the back seat was ever out of the car.   

greenpigs

So the owner is someplace in his 50's & will be locked up for awhile, so how are they going to get the title switched?  Power of attorney or is that going to be handled by the guy running things...sorry I can't buy it but I might ask questions others with the $$ will.
  Of course I assume your willing to part with the block for the right price?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

maxwellwedge

Quote from: mopar4ya on December 30, 2011, 08:10:22 AM

Dan

No, I don't own the car. I have tried many times over the years to buy it. The car might be for sale soon. The owner is in jail, and looks like he will be there for a long time. The fellow over seeing things for him is running out of money to do so.
  The car has a complete running engine in it now with all the original parts except for the block. The original owner liked to run it hard. He blew the engine up a couple of times (not sure what happened) and the fellow doing his work told him to go get a different block. Some years later I bought a Hemi car and the original block from this Charger came with it. I have checked the vin's and they match. I checked the block over and it is fine, just needed bored .030 to clean up the cylinders.

The car has all the tag's, but not sure on a broad cast sheet. I will bet it is there because I don't think the back seat was ever out of the car.   

Dan - If the car sells - what would you sell the engine for?

mopar4ya

Quote from: greenpigs on December 30, 2011, 09:03:47 AM
   So the owner is someplace in his 50's & will be locked up for awhile, so how are they going to get the title switched?  Power of attorney or is that going to be handled by the guy running things...sorry I can't buy it but I might ask questions others with the $$ will.
  Of course I assume your willing to part with the block for the right price?

The owner is in his 60's. His dad had bought this car for him when he returned home from the service back in 68. I hope to someday own the car if I ever get the chance. I have tried for 30 years. I would like to be the one to reunite the engine block with the car. I would detail it and leave it as original, this is an awesome car. The fellow over seeing thing is the power of attorney.

This is the reason I'm asking what a fair market value might be today. I know the car market is really anyone's guess right now, but would like some input before I make an offer.

Thanks

mopar4ya

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 30, 2011, 09:27:47 AM
Quote from: mopar4ya on December 30, 2011, 08:10:22 AM

Dan

Dan - If the car sells - what would you sell the engine for?

If I can't reunite the block with the Charger, I will use it in my 68 Hemi Bee.

XS29LA47V21

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 29, 2011, 10:07:47 PM
I'd buy it if you pass

:cheers: put me in the stack of players in those numbers above, PM me if it becomes available, besides it would look good next to other original paint cars with Me, other original paint lovers, including Mr Maxwellwedge (if I got my thread name remembered right).  Some of us should be saving some original cars for the future, our kids driving them/not in a museum setting and reference 20-40 yrs from now, full rotisserie is not the answer in all cases, this looks to be a great one to groom and drive, just my opinion. 

Who ever gets this one  :RantExplode: do not paint or restore it please. :Twocents:

mopar4ya

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on December 30, 2011, 10:06:34 AM
I'd buy it if you pass

:cheers: put me in the stack of players in those numbers above, PM me if it becomes available, besides it would look good next to other original paint cars with Me, other original paint lovers, including Mr Maxwellwedge (if I got my thread name remembered right).  Some of us should be saving some original cars for the future, our kids driving them/not in a museum setting and reference 20-40 yrs from now, full rotisserie is not the answer in all cases, this looks to be a great one to groom and drive, just my opinion. 

Who ever gets this one  :RantExplode: do not paint or restore it please. :Twocents:

Would you care to throw a number at this?

Thanks

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on December 30, 2011, 10:06:34 AM
I'd buy it if you pass

:cheers: Some of us should be saving some original cars for the future, our kids driving them/not in a museum setting and reference 20-40 yrs from now, full rotisserie is not the answer in all cases, this looks to be a great one to groom and drive, just my opinion. 

:iagree:
Couldn't have been said better. Perfect example of when to leave good enough alone. Well, at the very least maybe put on a new set of leaf springs & remove the shackles.

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 30, 2011, 11:03:51 AM
Id say 50k as it sits

Hmm... yep. I concur!  As long as it's complete.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

PocketThunder

I wouldnt even take the seat covers out of the car.....   :coolgleamA:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Vainglory, Esq.