News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firm feel steering box-stage 2 or 3?

Started by WHITE AND RED 69, January 04, 2012, 07:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITE AND RED 69

I am about to order a new steering box from firm-feel but not sure which one to go with. Stage 2 or 3? I have been leaning towards stage 2 but I dont want to have regrets about it later wishing I got the stage 3. Is the stage 3 overkill? Any owners who bought the stage 2 and wish they got the stage 3 or the other way around? I heard somewhere that the stage 3 feels more like manual steering. any truth to that?

Thanks for the help.   :cheers:

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

bakerhillpins

Gah... MrAngry just posted in another thread his recommendation which I believe was Stage 3...

:scope:

[edit]

Ah... here it is
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,87573.msg988745.html#msg988745

QuoteHere's a quick and simple recipe to enhance any 68-70 Charger - do this and you've got a car that rides and handles night and day compared to anything stock. Yes these parts cost money, as does EVERYTHING we do with these cars, so don't bitch and moan about price. Also, regardless of how well you think your stock car handles let me just say you are completely wrong... it's awful.

1. A nice set of sway-bars front and rear - Hotchkis, Addco, Helwig... any will do, just make sure you don't go too big in the rear.
2. Shocks - for a nice daily driver shock the Edelbrock IAS performers are the best out there for money and KYB's suck butt. For a performance shock go with RideTech single or triple adjustables.
3. Bigger Torsion bars - I'd go .96 for a street car
4. Stiffen that sucker up - at a minimum do subframe connectors, for better handling use XV's full chassis stiffening kit
5. Install a Firm Feel stage III steering box, as well as the fast ratio idler and pitman arms - this makes a world of difference.
6. Tubular upper control arms to adjust castor and camber. Firm Feel, Hotchkis, Magnum Force... etc.
7. Brakes - use a GOOD 4-wheel disc brake - this is big, so DO YOUR RESEARCH
8. Wheels and Tires - if you like 14 or 15-inch wheels then have fun staying in the stone age. Your tire selection sucks and you won't be able to fit any kind of real brake caliper behind those wheels. Upgrade to 17-inch or bigger. Do this and your contact footprint as well as your tire selection improves greatly.
9. OVERDRIVE - cruising at 70 mph at 4000 rpms with 4.10 gears is ridiculous especially when you consider an $8 Hyundai will crush you in a top speed run - just do this and be happy.

Otherwise that's it - hope this helps.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bill440rt

Clayton, I have a Stage 2 from Steer-n-Gear in my '69 & really like the feel of it. Not too stiff, & not loose at all. Firm, but not overkill.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

HeavyFuel

Ok...what does the Firm Feel box do?  Just what the name says, firm up the "too easy" feeling of the old school power steering?

bill440rt

Companies such as Firm Feel & Steer-n-Gear sell rebuilt steering boxes or will rebuild your own. They offer them in 3 different "flavors":

Stock: Original, easy steering feel. Easy steering does not mean loosey-goosey, which is just a worn out box.
Stage 2: Firm. It will feel similar to a new car. Stiffer, with good road feel & response.
Stage 3: Firmest. Probably something you'd want if you are racing the car on a road course.

I chose Steer-n-Gear because they are a vendor at Carlisle, so there were no shipping charges & I got a better price for the core.
I've heard good about both companies.

http://www.firmfeel.com/
http://www.steerandgear.com/
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

elacruze

I have the FF Stage III and I love it. Don't worry about it being too stiff, it still has less effort than my 2000 Cavalier.

And way less than my '68 D200 with manual steering. :)
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

mpdlawdog

"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

ChargerST

I would get a stage III and if that's still too soft you could always lower the pump pressure -> steering gets harder. Very easy mod, there was an article in MA about it.

68 RT

I got stage2 wish I would have gone for the stage 3. Really like the stage 2 though. Huge improvement over stock.

gtx6970

I put a stage 2 box in the Hemi Cuda last year( to soft for his liking ) . owner hates it and is going with stage 3 T/A box in it over the winter

WHITE AND RED 69

Thanks guys! This is just the info I have been looking for. Stage 2 sounds good but I think stage 3 will be the one I get.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

dangina

guys who get stage 2 usually wish they got the 3. I say 3.

Dino

Quote from: dangina on January 05, 2012, 11:36:05 PM
guys who get stage 2 usually wish they got the 3. I say 3.

Sure seems that way.  So does the stage 3 feel more like a race car or more like a modern car with power assist steering?  I'm looking for the latter.  My only beef with the current lack of feel is at speeds over 50 mph.  Cruising at 35 it's no big deal.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

elacruze

3 box just makes the wheel stay steady...the weight of your hands doesn't move it so much. The actual effort it takes to turn is still pretty light-parking lot maneuvers are still a one-palm event. My 2000 Cavalier has a stiffer wheel, and my '96 sunfire is still a little bit higher effort. Trust me, it's not anything remotely akin to manual steering, nor does it slow down quick inputs. Probably most importantly it doesn't have any oversteer-that is when you make a fast move, the wheel stops when you stop input, rather than the mass of your hand and the wheel turning more than you wanted.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

Dino

Quote from: elacruze on January 06, 2012, 09:41:55 AM
3 box just makes the wheel stay steady...the weight of your hands doesn't move it so much. The actual effort it takes to turn is still pretty light-parking lot maneuvers are still a one-palm event. My 2000 Cavalier has a stiffer wheel, and my '96 sunfire is still a little bit higher effort. Trust me, it's not anything remotely akin to manual steering, nor does it slow down quick inputs. Probably most importantly it doesn't have any oversteer-that is when you make a fast move, the wheel stops when you stop input, rather than the mass of your hand and the wheel turning more than you wanted.

I could not have asked for a better explanation!  Stage 3 it is.

Thanks!   :2thumbs:

JeffYoung

I have a Firm Feel Stage III. I think it is still too "light" although I like it.

It firmed up effort required to turn the wheel some, but I'd say no more than "normal" mid 90s performance car. It certainly doesn't feel like the manual steering race cars I've driven.

No question I would avoid the Stage II.

bill440rt

I'm wondering now if the Steer-n-Gear "Stage 2" is any different than the Firm Feel "Stage 2"??  :scratchchin:

I only ask because my Stage 2 box from Steer-n-Gear is NOTICEABLY firmer than stock.  :scratchchin:
Then again, I have a smaller diameter steering wheel so that might help matters also.

adauto

I got stage 3 steerngear inmy Chally. Granted shorter WB but but nice/quick/precise.  :2thumbs:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Purple68

I like my stage 2, don't forget if you have a smaller steering wheel that will increase the effort required to turn as well.

elanmars

Stupid question but what all do I need to get if I want to go with a firm feel stage 3? Just wondering.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Dino

Quote from: elanmars on April 11, 2012, 11:56:32 PM
Stupid question but what all do I need to get if I want to go with a firm feel stage 3? Just wondering.

Nothing more you need to get.  You'll have to send in a core and they send you the stage 3.  There's always more upgraded steering and suspension parts you can buy but nothing you 'have' to get.

Kern Dog

When I bought my stage 3 from Firm Feel, they REALLY tried to push a stage 2 unit. I don't know if they had a few sitting on the shelf and wanted to clear them out, or what. I stayed true to my wants and got the stage 3. THAT, along with the fast ratio idler and pitman arms, made the steering feel great. 2 3/4 turns lock to lock compared to 3 1/2 for a standard setup. Fewer turns also meant added resistance at the steerinmg wheel.

stripe74au

i just put a stage 2 in the 68 R/T charger and the 70 R/T challenger. Feels great, especially when both have smaller steering wheels now. cant compare to the stage 3 as i havent driven one. but the improvement over stock was staggering, in both examples. the FF guys also "steered" me (no pun intended) away from the 3 and into the 2. maybe for general public consumption they wont have people complaining about the 3 beeing "too" hard. thats just a guess
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

Dino

Quote from: stripe74au on May 02, 2012, 02:59:30 AM
i just put a stage 2 in the 68 R/T charger and the 70 R/T challenger. Feels great, especially when both have smaller steering wheels now. cant compare to the stage 3 as i havent driven one. but the improvement over stock was staggering, in both examples. the FF guys also "steered" me (no pun intended) away from the 3 and into the 2. maybe for general public consumption they wont have people complaining about the 3 beeing "too" hard. thats just a guess

Nice 68, looks like the twin of my car.

stripe74au

Quote from: Dino on May 02, 2012, 06:48:23 AM
Quote from: stripe74au on May 02, 2012, 02:59:30 AM

Nice 68, looks like the twin of my car.

thanks. likewise.

maybe yours is the twin of mine? who knows? stranger things have happened.
1965 Impala SS convertible
1967 Mustang fastback (work in progress)
1968 Charger R/T - WW1
1969 Roadrunner - R4
1970 Challenger R/T - FC7
1970 AAR 'Cuda - TX9

mpdlawdog

I  just put my new box from autozone in my car with a smaller steering wheel.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!the autozone box is alot cheaper also!! 

FLG

Quote from: mpdlawdog on May 02, 2012, 08:43:56 AM
I  just put my new box from autozone in my car with a smaller steering wheel.....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!the autozone box is alot cheaper also!! 

Yes but its still a standard box, so its only as good as it was new. The firmfeel stage 2 and 3 boxes give the car more of a "new" car feel, more precise.

Any new box is better than an old worn box, but most find a stock box too loose and ff offers a much tighter box than stock  :smilielol: :smilielol:

mpdlawdog

Quote from: FLG on May 02, 2012, 12:49:44 PM
Quote from: mpdlawdog on May 02, 2012, 08:43:56 AM

Yes but its still a standard box, so its only as good as it was new. The firmfeel stage 2 and 3 boxes give the car more of a "new" car feel, more precise.

Any new box is better than an old worn box, but most find a stock box too loose and ff offers a much tighter box than stock  :smilielol: :smilielol:
anytime you can find a tighter box is a good thing!  for 3x less money Im good with mine..it really did make a huge improvement with the steering wheel and new box.....it will never handle like a new car  :Twocents:..at least not without spending a ton of money into it....now if I can just get some time to fix the pump!