News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Progress Pics - Fuel Tank

Started by Shakey, January 22, 2006, 08:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

Although my car came with a new fuel tank it had started to oxidize and I wanted to put a stop to that as quick as possible.  So it almost took me a year but...

So I bought 3 cans of Eastwood's Tank Tone, a new 3/8" & 1/4" fuel sending unit, a fuel tank pad, a filler neck grommet and a filler neck trunk to floor seal.

Wayne (my Father-In-Law) & I took the tank out and he had me sand it down to get rid of the oxidization that started as well as to scuff it a bit prior to the painting / coating.  I did this yesterday afternoon while he tended to the cows.

In the morning we were ready to start the painting / coating process.  First I had to spend about 2 hours cleaning the filler neck as it was covered in undercoating and paint and needed to be sanded down for a smooth finish.  I followed Dodge Don's tutorial from the 1970 site (thanks Don) and did one side of the tank at a time and ended up giving it three coats.

Put the new sending unit in as well as the filler neck grommet (yes the Mopar one) and placed the pad on top and started the install.  I coated my straps as well as my filler neck despite the plan to do the neck in detail gray.

I had already installed the new fuel lines, the ones running from the tank to the engine.  They were a bit tricky but we got 'em in.

I have a new Year One cap and ring that I will install sometime soon as it will be a few weeks before I can get back to the farm.

Let me know if you have questions.  Thanks to many here for their help.

P.S.  -  Who can tell me about the vent tubes?  Did all cars come with them?  Where did they vent to?

67_Dodge_Charger

Yea all cars have a vent tube on the gas tank.  It allows for pressure to dissipate as fuel tank temperatures rise.  It typically is next to the fill tube and will join the fill tube near the fill body gasket.  It depends on model.

That looks great. :yesnod:

-Robert

Big Lebowski

Cool dude, Yes all cars had vents, the CAS system has 2 vents, the ECS system has 4 vents.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Big Lebowski

The '69 vent goes to the vapor seperator next to your fuel pump. :D
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Silver R/T

looks nice, you made it look easy
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Big Lebowski on January 22, 2006, 09:26:11 PM
The '69 vent goes to the vapor seperator next to your fuel pump. :D

That is the 1/4" return line.

The tank vent is on the filler tube itself and vents through the trunk floor to the atmosphere.
See the small line going through the grommet in the floor in this pic from a 68 Charger (same on 68-70)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

burnt69

Anybody know the size of the hole for the vent line grommet, i put in a new floor and need to cut a hole for it.

NHCharger

Wow, that looks sharp. I was just going to spray some undercoating on my tank and install it but I think it will look a lot better that way.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

daytonalo

DOES ANYBODY KNOW CORRECT COLOR OF GAS TANK STRAPS ON B-BODY

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

SeattleCharger

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

chargerguy111

If all tanks supposed to have vent lines,why are so many tanks being sold without?Year one's tank for my car has no vent line,neither does the tank from Rock Auto [Spectra makes these tanks].Help,Im ready to buy my tank but dont know what to buy!Thanks.

Shakey

Quote from: chargerguy111 on August 05, 2008, 06:08:47 PM
If all tanks supposed to have vent lines,why are so many tanks being sold without?Year one's tank for my car has no vent line,neither does the tank from Rock Auto [Spectra makes these tanks].Help,Im ready to buy my tank but dont know what to buy!Thanks.

Read reply # 5.

That tank is for a '69.

What year is your car?

chargerguy111

My car is a 68.Where does it suppose to vent?

Hemidog

Quote from: chargerguy111 on August 08, 2008, 12:20:56 PM
My car is a 68.Where does it suppose to vent?
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 23, 2006, 09:04:36 AM

That is the 1/4" return line.

The tank vent is on the filler tube itself and vents through the trunk floor to the atmosphere.
See the small line going through the grommet in the floor in this pic from a 68 Charger (same on 68-70)

69*F5*SE

The tank looks great. Would you recommend the Eastwood Tank Tone paint to the rest of us or most of us? 

Shakey