News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What is the best chrome polisher you have used?

Started by dspaulding70, January 22, 2006, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dspaulding70

I cannot justify the price to rechrome all of the chrome pieces on my Gharger.  Since it will not be a show car, I just want it to look the best possible.  I do not have any major rust or bad pitting.  Anyone have any product that they have been extremely pleased with to polish the chrome on their car?  Also, if you used any tools to help buff it out, please explain.

Thanks.

67_Dodge_Charger

I have used just about every kind at my local parts store.  Some are a little better than others.....  The best results are with products that can be used with a buffer.  You will get a deeper clean and shine. 

-Robert

rare69

i have always had the best results with never dull or a good polish like mothers, with a power tool.

bill440rt

I've been using Griot's Garage Chrome Polish on some small pieces and trim.
I do not like to use a chrome polish on bumpers or show chrome. I just use an abrasive-free carnauba wax on them. Contrary to popular belief, chrome is actually a very soft plating and will scratch or swirl very easily. Once there is even a minor scratch or swirl, you will NOT get it out, no matter what polish you use.
If your chrome is not that great to begin with, and you are just looking to clean them up, then the Griot's Chrome Polish is the way to go.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

SeattleCharger

:popcrn:

So the waxing of the chrome will keep up the shine just like the paint?  I was asking about that in another thread, thanks.  So then . . . will rubbing compound, like turtle wax low abrasive version rubbing compound clean up the trim and not scratch it ?  with terry cloth or something?

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

bill440rt

Rubbing compund will scratch the chrome, it has abrasives in it. Wax doesn't "keep up the shine" like it does on paint, it just serves as protection. I use a non-abrasive carnauba wax, such as 3M's Show Car Paste Wax.
I would not use anything abrasive on show chrome. If your bumpers are "just OK", or need some polishing, then I'd use a good chrome or metal polish.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce