News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bullitt question - what blue color was the car before black?

Started by marangen, January 23, 2006, 09:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marangen

previous thread where the door handle was broken off etc - that car was blue before...

looks like Q1? (or is it called QQ1?)

Anybody knows or thinks its evident from pics?

M

(and asked before but no replies - 68 R/T with Q1 blue with white interior and black vinyl? any opinion if rare combo or not?)

6pkrunner

I think that both of the cars were originally black. They were both bought from  the Glendale dealership. I think what you are seeing the the gray primer showing through.

marangen

Could be - not an expert - but someone made the comment on the blue color and I kind of agree - looks blue!

375instroke

69charger2002

i live in CHARGERLAND.. visitors welcome. 166 total, 7 still around      

http://charger01foster.tripod.com/

Ghoste

I thought in the special features section of the dvd there was a spot where Hickman was practising driving in a blue Charger?

Drache

Quote from: Ghoste on January 23, 2006, 10:03:20 PM
I thought in the special features section of the dvd there was a spot where Hickman was practising driving in a blue Charger?

There is and that blue Charger is supposed to be the movie car before it was painted black.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

triple_green

The blue is the primer under the black. Two identical cars were ordered at a dodge dealership in CA.

3X
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Ghoste

So what of the blue car used in stunt rehearsals?

Personally I don't know if I've seen blue primer.  Is there such a thing on a factory cars from that era?  I thought it was all grey or red.

BB1

I have taken pictures of the original primer on my car, when I printed the picture I was surprised it turned out blue.

Might be the same problem, some how the camera turns it blue.

My primer was gray.
Delete my profile

marangen

Could there have been more than 2 cars?

Though there were more chargers used in the shoot...

M

sean68charger

there is blue primer on my car and that is under the original burgandy :-\
68 Charger 440 R/T<br />Burnout Bandit!!!

Ghoste

69_500

Blue primer? Are ya sure it isn't grey primer and that the camera makes it look blue? On the other cars I don't have an explanation for it appearing blue, except that grey primer does appear blue from certain angles, especially when it has been on a metal for a long time.

THE CHARGER PUNK

kinda makes sense eh? if they ordered 2 cars new for movie why the hell would they order a blue one if they could of just ordered up 2 identical black ones-MATT

chargervert

In the artical that I read in Muscle car review,they said they bought the Chargers right off the dealers lot. So it is possible that they had a black one,and bought a blue one,and painted it to match the black one! one of those Chargers should have survived!

Ghoste

I thought I had always heard that they bought the pair off the lot as well.  Something about Chrysler not willing to supply them or getting them in time or some fool thing.

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: sean68charger on January 24, 2006, 01:49:52 PM
there is blue primer on my car and that is under the original burgandy :-\

My 1968 Polara very definitely has a light blue colored primer under the factory Alpine White paint.  It is showing up in an area on the driver's side quarter panel where the paint went bad a lot sooner than other areas of the car, so I thought it might be an area repainted before the car left the factory.  The car has not been repainted since it was purchased new...

XS
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

Ghoste

I wonder if it has anything to do with the assembly plant?

6pkrunner

It's gray primer and there were two Charger's bought off the delaer's lot. There was no special incentive offered from Chrysler as they didn't really know about the movie at the time.

chargervert

The cars in the movie were supplied by Ford Motor company,and the director kept complaining that there were too many Fords! So many that it looked unrealistic,so after he complained enough,Ford conceded that they would allow the "villans"car,that would be destroyed,to be something other than a Ford. They gave the director a budget with which he could get two cars,to go with the two Mustangs that Ford had provided! The director,and the stunt cordinator,took a day and went to all of the local car dealers,before settleing on the Charger! The stunt cordinator said,one look at the black Charger,and they knew they had found the right car for the bad guys!

Mike DC

I remember reading once that Ford had provided a Fairlane for the "bad guy" car, but the stunt guys declared it mechanically unfit for the job.