News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Keep Vinyl Top or Not?

Started by Chatt69chgr, January 25, 2012, 11:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I had given some thought to not going back with the vinyl top on my 69 Charger.  But I would have a problem with the A pillar and drip rail chrome moulding.  Has anybody dealt with this?  I assume that you would have to find some moulding off of a non vinyl top car which might not be easy.

jaak

Someone correct me if I'm wrong....but I think the drip rail trim is the same, whether it had a vinyl top or not.

But to your original question, I vote you keep it. I struggle with whether to put mine back on or not....now I'm glad I decided to, I think Chargers look great with them...well just about any 68-70 B-body looks great with a vinyl top.
My  :Twocents:

Jason

bill440rt

The drip rail moldings should be the same whether vinyl or not. You would just lose the trim moldings on the quarter belt line and on the deck filler panel.
If you're worried, they do make the trim reproduction nowadays.

I'm one that prefers a vinyl top on a Charger as well. It really accents the roof line & gives a classy appearance.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Chatt69chgr

OK.  Thanks to each of you for the advice.  I didn't know about the moulding.  I've about decided to keep the vinyl top.  I'm thinking that with the car to be painted red that this would really set off the red color.

nvrbdn

what color will the vinyl top be? i love the white hat cars. and red with white interior and white vinyl looks awesome.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Patronus

Don't do it. I think it breaks up the car too much. :Twocents:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

bakerhillpins

I happen to like the non vinyl top cars better but it's not a deal killer either way for me, as you can tell since mine has a vinyl top.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

twodko

My opinion.......if it's on the vin tag its on the car.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

404NOTFOUND

I never liked vinyl tops but they certainly don't kill the looks on the Charger. If your car is an original, I would leave it as is.
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

R6red4spd69RT

Ask yourself these two questions "does it look a lot better with or w/o the vinyl top?" and "what does the fender tag call for?".

If it looks good either way go with the fender tag, but if it really really looks good between with or w/o then disregard the fender tag.

The only exception is whether collectability would really suffer if the fender tag wasn't followed.

Fred

I think the colour of the car plays a big roll; If it's black I'd go without but any other colour, I'd go with the black vinyl.  :Twocents:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Chatt69chgr

I've changed the whole drivetrain and the brake system so car won't be original.  Interior to be black---it's green now---all interior parts purchased already.  I've vacilllated all over the map on the exterior color but seem to have landed on bright red.  The more I think about it the more I like it.  I've never owned a red car.  Have owned three silver ones.  I'm thinking that if I was going black then no vinyl top.  But with red, the black vinyl top would really provide a nice contrast to the red.  Also, modern cars don't have vinyl tops so this would make the car stand out---not that it won't anyway.

nvrbdn

sounds like you really want a red car with a black vinyl top, so thats what i would do no matter what. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Silver R/T

You choice...easier to put it on later than to take it off
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Fred

You should go for it. The red with the black vinyl looks sweet!   :2thumbs:

404NOTFOUND

Here is mine with no vinyl top in red if you want to see how it might look.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.5225.html
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

68 Bullitt Charger

Quote from: twodko on January 26, 2012, 12:39:15 PM
:iagree: thats the correct way to decide however IMO the Vinyl tops look great on Charger's.
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Dino

I am not a fan of vinyl tops and bumble bee stripes (although I like the split stripe on the 68).  Funny enough my 69 has both so when I redo the car, both will be gone.

I too would redo a car by the fender tag if it was something special which is why I bought an R/T clone.  all the good stuff without the pressure to restore as it once was.

I don't think a vinyl top looks bad on a Charger, not at all.  I just feel it looks better without.  I love how the roof flows into the quarters.  The top trim breaks this up.  Also the top changes the image a lot so it depends on what you're after.  Same with the stripe, it cuts the flow of the quarter.  Many seem to like the stripe just because it breaks up the quarter so to each his own.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Not a fan. IMHO, Vinyl tops are for granddaddy's car. They were all the rage at one time. Thank goodness that rage is over. Place for rust to form. Look how many were rusted completely out due to these tops.

But, if you like it, it's your ride.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

71charger_fan

If the car's in a wet environment, lose the vinyl. It's just a moisture trap. If it'll stay dry, go with whichever you like better.

Ghoste

They look great on 2nd gens, keep it.

68blue

I kept the pearl white top even though I changed the shade of blue on the car. I'm happy with it. :icon_smile_big:

Darkman

Whilst I agree that a vinyl roof does look good on a Charger, I HATE them. They create the perfect environment for rust to form. My Charger's roof is rusted out because of a vinyl roof, and will not be going back on mine. It is much easier to maintain/keep clean without them.

My Dad's Aussie Valiant had a vinyl roof and I hated washing it. Even my first car had a vinyl roof, that was the first thing to go. The only advantage the vinyl roof on my car had was that it deadened the noise of the rain on the roof. If you are too precious to drive your car in the rain, then that won't make any difference  :nana:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

bill440rt

I've seen non-vinyl cars with roofs rotted to the gills, & on the flip side vinyl top cars with roofs that were pristine. It all depends.

With today's modern epoxy primers & urethane paints, combined with the way most restored cars are kept, rust under the tops is pretty much a thing of the past. It all lies with the way your existing roof is treated.
Leaving your car sit outside with just a car cover on it is probably worse than having a vinyl top.

:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Inked_Ghandi

I think the full vinyl tops look good. My '74 at one point had that stupid canopy style vinyl top and now I have to replace the roof because the area that connects to the top of the windshield is all kinds of effed up. But I was thinking of either taking that off completely or making it look like it had a full vinyl roof instead.
"It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning."

USAF AMMO

tan top

Quote from: twodko on January 26, 2012, 12:39:15 PM

:yesnod:   :iagree:  ,

chargers looks good with out too ,
but i like Vinyl tops on a second generations  :drool5:
certain colors are enhanced with a vinyl top , & vica versa  IMO :Twocents:
:shruggy: :popcrn:

but on the other hand  , if i was painting my 69 GY3  citron yella  , no vinyl top would be going on it  :coolgleamA: , just a black racing stripe down the side  ;)
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Silver R/T

vinyl tops are just moisture trap, they belong on grandmas New Yorker.
2ng gen Chargers look nice without vinyl top imo
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Scaregrabber

The only cars that look good with vinyl roofs are 68-70 Chargers and Challengers. If it was me I'd leave it off as it's a moisture trap. The car will look great with or without the vinyl though, so it's your choice.

Sheldon

jaak

Quote from: Silver R/T on February 05, 2012, 12:16:21 PMvinyl tops are just moisture trap, they belong on grandmas New Yorker.
2ng gen Chargers look nice without vinyl top imo

How many people leave a 69 Charger outside nowadays, anyway??? Put a top on it....it deserves it!!!!!!

Jason

Fred

You can see where this is going can't you...................in the end you're going to have to decide for yourself.  :scratchchin:

Darkman

This is just some of the damage caused by a vinyl roof....

I will post up the rest of the roof when I get to removing the skin this weekend..
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Charger 1

Quote from: Cooter on January 27, 2012, 12:10:52 PM
Not a fan. IMHO, Vinyl tops are for granddaddy's car. They were all the rage at one time. Thank goodness that rage is over. Place for rust to form. Look how many were rusted completely out due to these tops.

Couldn't agree more - lose the vinyl top!

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on January 27, 2012, 12:10:52 PM

Come on Cooter, does this look like a grandaddy's car.  :shruggy:

nvrbdn

dang, is that thing burning oil????  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

nice burn out. :2thumbs: :cheers:

its all a preferance thing.......do what you like :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

squeakfinder

I think they look good either way. Might be a little more body work to smooth out at the quarter panel roof seem if you go without. I'd put it on if you can find somebody competent to do it.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....