News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemmings EPA Bird

Started by hemiviper588, January 26, 2012, 09:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

several threads on this car here already.

moparstuart

What are our auction guesses ?   They were asking millions for the car , i would guess it wont meet what ever crazy reserve they will have on it . But where do you guys guess it will bid to ?   200 k ? 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

WINGIN IT

200K , maybe if it was BJ , don't think it'll bring that much in a smaller venue on the east coast in the middle of winter.

Real small audience for that car.

Other than putting it on display, could you imagine showing up at a local car show with that thing ?
You'd have to spend hours explaining it to people ...  :yesnod:
And then they'd probably walk away dumbfounded anyway...  :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGIN IT on January 26, 2012, 12:10:43 PM
...Real small audience for that car.

No kidding.... great car with great history, but not for me............ I couldn't stand looking at that antenna all the time..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

And then they'd probably walk away dumbfounded anyway...  :shruggy:

That is exactly the problem.   It's not stock.   It's not race.   It has a connection to the race car builder.    It's built slightly after the period.    It's not very exciting to look at.

Having said that, if you understand the car, it's a really neat piece and a nice little part of wing car history.  Definitely a bookend type of car for an advanced collector. 

IMO, taking it to Atlantic City is pretty much a waste of time if you really want to sell it. 

WINGIN IT

IMO, taking it to Atlantic City is pretty much a waste of time if you really want to sell it. 

[/quote]

Agreed...

Dirtybird

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 26, 2012, 01:32:33 PM

No kidding.... great car with great history, but not for me............ I couldn't stand looking at that antenna all the time..

Will I be faced with the same thing if I put the blue gumball, and antennaes back on my bird when I restore it?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dirtybird on January 27, 2012, 01:29:34 PM

Will I be faced with the same thing if I put the blue gumball, and antennaes back on my bird when I restore it?

That will be your call.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Kirby, the police Bird is easier for people to digest and understand.   No question about it; it will be a big hit with the antenna and gumballs on it.   

moparstuart

are you going to restore it to sell ? or keep it ?    Your car is a neat story and i dont think you would try to get 3 million dollars out of it  ?  I dont think those things are going to hurt the value of your car .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Dirtybird

Quote from: moparstuart on January 27, 2012, 01:44:42 PM

are you going to restore it to sell ? or keep it ?    Your car is a neat story and i dont think you would try to get 3 million dollars out of it  ?  I dont think those things are going to hurt the value of your car .  

I'm certainly leaning towards restoring it with gumball and all. Though for now I'm gonna drive it the way it is. I found a correct NOS gumball, trying to figure out what antennaes were on it- or close. They will be added by spring. Yesterday, I received an e-mail reply from the Alabama State Archives.  They had 4 pieces of information on my car, and "Cowboy" The described 2 of them- one which states that Gov. George Wallace appointed Cecil A. Folmar AKA "Cowboy" as the Constable of Elmore County in Dec 0f 1971.  The other- states that he gave a gentleman a DUI after he backed his car into the SuperBird!!  Cool documentation- should have my copies next week.  Yesterday, I also found his 84 year old brother James- though our phone conversation consisted of him yelling at me that he "can't hear a lick anymore" and to call back, leave a message, and his daughter will call, then he hung up.  I also have been in contact with the Pres. of the National Constables Assoc.  Which "Cowboy" was an original founding member- there are thought to be a couple other originals still alive- and they should know him well-  this is gonna be a very long story by the time I'm done.  CRAZY STUFF!  Moonshiners, KKK, shoot outs- etc.

68 Bullitt Charger

I agree with most, Atlantic City a waste and my guess at BJ would be $300K for guy's like Pratt or Hendrick's. Money guy's who are collector's. It does have some ugly stuff on it!!! :Twocents:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

WINGIN IT

Quote from: Aero426 on January 27, 2012, 01:43:41 PM

Kirby, the police Bird is easier for people to digest and understand.   No question about it; it will be a big hit with the antenna and gumballs on it.   

:iagree:

I actually would like it more than a stock Superbird !  Who else has a Cop Car bird - No ONE - too cool...
And you can't tell me the cops today wouldn't love it as well...  ;)

mauve66

it would of looked real cool if it was on top of the roof instead :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Redbird

I always thought they should have stayed with the simple story. It is an original Superbird. It was modified by Nichels. It did things like chase airplanes down the runway to help determine certain things like now many particulates were lost off airplane tires. Very cool story and car.

When I started to read articles that said it was the car that killed the muscle cars, and these articles were probably written by someone other than the current car's owners, I just didn't get it. Everything else I have seen has said product planning and insurance in the late 60's killed the muscle car, by 1971 or 1972 the decisions had been made years before.

Nice car. For what the owner(s) seem to want for it one can buy some very, very cool cars.

Put it at a no reserve big auction, that is the price that day.

Ghoste

Car has been shopped to most of the big auctions now but they keep insisting on a ridiculous reserve so most places pass on it.  A small venue are likely taking it as a long shot and figuring they will get the entry fee and hand the guy his instant appraisal and leave it at that.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on January 27, 2012, 09:21:43 PM
Car has been shopped to most of the big auctions now but they keep insisting on a ridiculous reserve so most places pass on it.  A small venue are likely taking it as a long shot and figuring they will get the entry fee and hand the guy his instant appraisal and leave it at that.

I think what you are saying is a seller can set a high reserve, then get a real (or fake) bid somewhere above real market value.   Then he can say to a future prospective buyer, "Well, it was bid to x dollars at such and such auction.   So it must be worth that."

Ghoste

That absolutely happens all the time too, but what what I was saying is that at a large and well established auction you have the luxury of saying no thanks when a consignor insists on a ludicrous reserve.  Establishing the "it bid to X" is good for the consignor if they are patient enough to try and establish their reserve in the public eye as legitimate but accepting cars that have little chance of selling is bad for the auction house.  The auction house makes money off the sold percentage not the entry fee and having a high sell through rate is desirable for the obvious advertising benefits.
An extreme example but in some ways its better to have 100 cars all sell at a fair price than it is to have 200 cars and see 50% no sale because of unrealistic reserves.  The best is to have thousands of cars all sell at record prices.  I think you see my point though.

TXcharger70

This is one of a kind never knew it existed. These guys are idiots. Found it on AOL this morning. Heres the rest of the story http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/03/epas-classic-1970-plymouth-superbird-a-no-sale-in-atlantic-city/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmaing7%7Cdl19%7Csec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D140855

model maker

MODEL MAKER

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

pettybird

kind of funny...I still have AOL (I can't drop the old email, you know?) and this was one of the rotating stories of interest:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/03/epas-classic-1970-plymouth-superbird-a-no-sale-in-atlantic-city/?ncid=webmail10

squeakfinder

Another journalist suffering from a case of the brain farts.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

FJ5WING

thats as good as my HR person sending out in the company news letter telling everyone Im restoring a Plymouth Sunbird. :fu:
wingless now, but still around.