News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some help guys... Superbird or Daytona???????????

Started by 68 Bullitt Charger, January 28, 2012, 12:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 Bullitt Charger

Hi Everyone, I am going to be looking for a Wing Car and not sure which one??  I am wondering which would be the better of the two although I wish I can afford both. I will be looking for a #'s match 440 4spd car with full documentation. I can not afford the Hemi and I am not interested in a clone. Can anyone tell me which car is rare, more valuable, etc??? :smilie_help:  Thanks for Everyone's health.  Joe C
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Golden-Arm

the charger would be pretty sweet, but dollar for dollar, the same options being applied, the road runner will leave you with an extra 30-40K in your wallet, at the end of the sale. :nana:

hemi68charger

The Daytona will be the more "rare" of the two.......... In all honesty, if you're limiting yourself to having to find something with an original motor and tranny (I'm assuming that's what you mean by #'s matching.), you will have to be patient and have a lot of dollars if you want a Daytona. There are more Superbirds out there to choose from in that regard. There were 4 times as many Superbirds built compared to Daytonas. Take for example, my Daytona which is for sale is listed at 145K.. Haven't sold it yet, so that's reflects the market, but also, it doesn't have it's original block and tranny case. Now, all those individuals who in the past were interested in my car, but had to have the #'s-thing, they are either still looking or have "settled" for a Superbird. I only say "settled" since they originally were looking for a 'Bird.

Good luck... I was in your shoes for a long time and finally found mine. Luckily, I didn't give a flip if it had the original block (albeit it sure would have been nice).......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparstuart

if you are just looking for the rarest and what will be more valueable , yes go with a daytona , but if you want the best looking and the most awesome car ever get the Beep Beep horn car .   :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

FJ5WING

I think your finances play a big roll in this decision!  :moon:

How much do you have to spend?  :shruggy:

Troy's car is at a good price if you can live with the motor and trans not being numbers matched!  :poke: (Apparently it matters more than some feel. :scratchchin:)  although it has been modified to accept the 5 speed.  :misbehaving: I think its a good car and would have talked with him a long time ago if I had the money for a second wing. :D
You should be able to find a numbers Superbird for the same money if its that important to you and you dont care what you get as long as you get into a wing car.

GOOD LUCK on your search and post pics of all your prospects!
wingless now, but still around.

3--Daytona

maxwellwedge

Given a choice, and if you can swing it - Daytona.......But  --  Bird's are a good thing as well.

WINGIN IT

You can also throw into your decision if you care how much work / metal replacement was done on the car.
Typically there's 2 camps, those who'd rather have a car with original metal than a matching motor, or those who'd rather have a number's matching car not caring if the car as repro quarters, trunkpan, replacement parts etc...

All play a part in value, of course, but it comes down to what you care about most.

68 Bullitt Charger

:2thumbs:  Wow guys I really appreciate all the opinion's, even from the Beep-Beep Guy's!!   Well I will be searching for a Daytona at first however if an original Superbird comes around I might get weak and go for it as both are beautiful machine's. I will be at BJ in Palm Beach so you never know. Maybe even luck out and find one on my own. Guys I want to Thank you all for your time and help. :cheers:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Redbird

Simply buy what you want. My thought is that at the onset if you don't plan on making money on it you'll be happier at the end. So much the better if you later make money, just don't plan on it.

Daytona, a lot rarer, the market said a week or so ago that you can buy one at an auction for $ 110,000 or so.

If you had to sell your complete car in 3 years from now in a month's time, what would a buyer look for. Rare, overheating and undriveable in dark green isn't desirable to a number of people. High impact color with a bench seat doesn't appeal to others.

Over $ 100,000 is still a lot of money for anything.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on January 28, 2012, 11:21:11 AM

Daytona, a lot rarer, the market said a week or so ago that you can buy one at an auction for $ 110,000 or so.

Very true, but that is one less Daytona on the market. There are hardly any to replace it with at that price and in that condition. Daytona's are not a commodity.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

nelson_audet

i love the superbird but if i have the choice between a bird or a tona, my choice will be DAYTONA!!!

troy car !!! hehe
69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

68X426

Yeah, well King Richard drove a Superbird.  :nana:  So my money would be on a Plymouth.  :icon_smile_cool:

Yes, the Daytona is more rare, agreed.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

The Daytona just looks better, what can I say it's those 2nd gen Charger lines.

nelson_audet

69 Charger RT 440 4 SPD 4.10 Dana car B5 blue

pettybird

can't disagree with the lines but you simply can't trump the horn.

Ghoste

The horn?  Sorry man, it's cute and all but I can't fall in love with a car based on a gimmick.

FJ5WING

3 two barrels do a pretty good job of not being cute.  :nana:

The nose and wings on Birds are much better but I like the roof on the Daytonas. Ill also throw out there the lack of the ugly nose gaskets on the Birds. I dont like the Quarter decals on either but do like the wing treatments on the Birds. the quarter panals on the Birds are more to my liking, the tail lights on both cars have their good points.(I know not too many like the RR's tail lights, but I do)
I like the Birds interior better too. PISTOL GRIP!!!!!  :nutkick: and no silly map pockets!  :eek2:......Sheesh! I guess I am glad I have the Bird instead of the Daytona! :D

That was all in fun....well mostly. I did try to get an original Daytona owner to sell me his Orange 440 stick car in 1987, but he wanted to drive it until it died......It was close then. :lol:
wingless now, but still around.

gtx6970

which one for me really comes down to color and options combination

I like a Bird in limelight or yellow, but I'm not a fan of  the yellow in 69

both look good in B5  blue but NEED white guts
Daytona in B5 with white stripe and wing just does something to me :drool5:

Not a fan of either in red unless the daytona has red interior which red int is not avail on a bird

And although I used to like the rear end of th ebird , over the years now I think I like the back of a 69 Charger much better. But like the smoother nose and laid back wing on the bird much better than the daytona

hemi68charger

Quote from: 68X426 on January 29, 2012, 10:53:00 PM
Yeah, well King Richard drove a Superbird....

Only because Plymouth whined like a spoiled lil' brother when Petty wanted one of those "winged" cars.....    :D  If it wasn't for that, then Petty would have been in a Charger a lot sooner and those "beep beep"s wouldn't be so............... But, in the end things have a way of working out, Superbirds are awesome................. BUT.......
Troy

moparstuart

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 30, 2012, 02:10:45 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on January 29, 2012, 10:53:00 PM
Yeah, well King Richard drove a Superbird....

Only because Plymouth whined like a spoiled lil' brother when Petty wanted one of those "winged" cars.....    :D  If it wasn't for that, then Petty would have been in a Charger a lot sooner and those "beep beep"s wouldn't be so............... But, in the end things have a way of working out, Superbirds are awesome................. BUT.......
:slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :moon: Plymouth makes it
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

pettybird

Quote from: Ghoste on January 30, 2012, 09:59:35 AM
The horn?  Sorry man, it's cute and all but I can't fall in love with a car based on a gimmick.

like the wing and nose aren't????

in for a penny... :yesnod:

Ghoste

Not saying I dont like the Plymouth, just saying that I dont agree the horn trumps the Charger lines.  Others would say the horn is their favorite part of the car/  its all good.